3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buying boots online  (Read 217 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Buying boots online
« on: July 09, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
How would you know if the fit is right?  I'm the kinda fella that would like to try it on before I order, however there isn't many good boot stores locally.

Who buys boots off the internet?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline cliffy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buying boots online
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Charlie,

Just my experience that when it comes to boots some manufactures sizing runs slightly different that others.  Probably best if you can size that brand first somehow.  Just stink to dump a chunk of change into a pair that slightly didn't fit and then you had to walk some distance in them.

For what it's worth.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Charlie,

I have done exactly that......and am usually disappointed.  Now, whenever I'm driving by a Cabelas (CT or PA), I will stop in and go through the motions of trying them on.  Better safe than sorry (meaning having to ship them back).

Then I buy them off the internet!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Most places have a return form that you can send back if the boots don't fit correctly. Get as close as possible to the correct size, and if they need to be a different size then send them back and have them swapped out.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Charlie,
It is definitely hit and miss, however, sometimes there is no choice but to order online.  Remember that most reputable businesses have very good return policies.

Last pair I ordered online were the LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes.  If you ever order a pair of them go by the sizing recommendations.  They run BIG.  I normally wear a size 10 in a boot to account for a thin and thick sock.  Ordered a size 8 in the Maine Hunting Shoe and was just right with plenty of room for a thin wicking sock and a thick pair of wool socks.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Tony, That was exactly my thought.

We have a few stores in the area that carry boots but they are always out of my size and seldom are able to order any.  I just want to get an idea for fit and then order them online if the store doesn't have any.

My last pair of boots lasted 12 years and were great.  What was even greater was the store clerk who sat there while I tried on every boot in the store until I found what fit right. must have took at least 2 hours. Finally found a pair that was reserved for someone else in the back room. Fit like a dream and ordered the same boot in from another location. Turns out I have wide feet.   We had a great 12 years together but unfortunately, they gave up the ghost to big trips. ( I still wear them though they're falling off the foot   :scared:    )
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
I buy most of my boots online, but I usually only buy one brand and they have pretty good quality control so all their models fit the same.  Otherwise it is a pain to have to buy then return and deal with the shipping.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
There's really two problems: the first is initial fit.  Initial fit can be solved if the company you order them from has a good return policy.  Some companies will even let you order more than one pair a half size either way, knowing that you're going to return one of them.  Course, you could be returning both of them if both are too tight or too loose someplace.

The second problem is how they fit after you have had them on several hours in working conditions, when your feet begin to swell and get tender.  I'll have to admit that I've been stung on boots that I thought fit fine only to find out that they don't after several hours on the trail.  The only advice I can give you on this second problem is that if there is any little thing that doesn't seem right when you're trying them on, it's probably not going to get better.  It's your job at that point to be super critical, like a woman picking out wallpaper, not like a man deciding what tie to wear with what shirt.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Whenever I find something I like in footwear, I order the exact same thing again. I’ve been doing this for over thirty years and it’s still working out.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Stick with what you know fits from prior experience; and order extra pairs if and when you have to. Deal with companies that accept returns it is really not a problem.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Daniel and Bjorn,  That's sound advice but the boots I have have been sold and shipped out of country.   :banghead:  

My father has went through 3 pairs in 2 years before he went brand searching.

I have an Idea of what I am looking for, just need to find a retailer I guess.

McDave, You are absolutely right. (I hate ties   :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Go to shoebuy . com and shipping is free even on returns. Very easy company to work with.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
X2 Great prices. No hassle returns. I got a pair of Lacrosse work boots and are better than any boots that local retailers carry. I would use them again.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline OkieJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
X3 on shoebuy.com. Plus you get a discount on being a first time buyer.

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I guess I've been lucky 12 M always fits me.  I've ordered somewhere around six pairs over the internet.  endless.com has free shipping both ways I think. Most companies accept returns.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I recently bought a pair from a retailer's online store. I already had two pair of footwear from the same manufacturer that I liked. I researched the fit as much as possible without actually ever seeing the boots in person. I am very glad that in the end, I followed the Internet advice I saw to buy a half size larger in these particular boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©