3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Much Will Your Arrow Drop At 30 yards?  (Read 1109 times)

Online 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
How Much Will Your Arrow Drop At 30 yards?
« on: July 09, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
How much the arrow drops over 10,20,30, or 40 yards is a subject with lots of different veiwpoints. I have discussed it in the back yard and just recently at another site. Most people can't believe that the arrow will drop so fast.

For this conversation we will ignor atmospheric influence on the arrow that both slows the arrow speed and lowers the amount of drop. It's kind of a tradeoff that won't have a major effect at short distances. Also, we will use 170 fps for the arrow.

The formula for earth's acceleration of gravity for someone who isn't familiar is 32fps x the time (of flight) squared. Using this formula and ignoring minor atmospheric influence at short distance the results would be: At 10 yards about 1 foot of drop, at 20 yard about 4 feet, at 30 yards about 9 feet, and at 40 yards about 16 feet.

Anyone agree or disagree with that? I'd love to hear some conversation on this. Some guys will never believe their arrows are dropping this much.

:knothead:    :archer2:

Re: How Much Will Your Arrow Drop At 30 yards?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
thats a lota drop!  hmmmm,,,..il have to watch closer to see if i can see it.  :saywhat:

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
That sounds reasonable to me.
I suspect that most archers don't realize how far above horizontal they are launching their arrow, even at short ranges.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Sounds about right to me.  I believe it.

I always get a kick out the compound guys that say they can use one pin out to 40 yards.  Bull!  You can't beat the force of gravity no matter how fast your going.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
wow that is a lot of drop, something i never really have totally thought about!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
If your point on is 40 yards, then 20 yards should be the high point of the arc. Shoot the 20 yarder as is if it was 40 yards and you will not hit 8 feet above the target.

Don't believe the 16 ft drop is correct.

Believe the following equation may be more reflective:

distance drop in feet = ((time x time) x 32.2)) / 2
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
I'm a gap shooter. My gaps are as follows...

20 yards....point on
30 yards....plus 15"
40 yards....plus 36"

This is with an arrow traveling around 180 fps.

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I entered the following data into a ballistic calculator...550gr, 170fps, max range 50yd

it came up with

10yd... 6.3" low............... 6"

20yd... 24.14" low............. 2'

30yd... 53.02" low............. 4.5'

40yd... 92.45" low............. 7.5'

50yd... 141.98" low............ 12'

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I believe you, im just content that my arrows hit where i look, most of the time.....

:archer2:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Using your numbers… if I fired an arrow from my bow perfectly level with the ground and at 5 feet above the ground then the arrow would hit the ground at about 25 yards…  :D
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Mine don't drop 9 feet at 30yds, thats alot of drop 2fletch.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Giff, that seems closer to my experience.

This is probably why I struggle with shooting high at really close distances - it's hard to get shooting at such a low position ingrained.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
We did a similar test a different way a couple of years ago.  i wanted to give a friend of mine a bow built by Balenger that was different than his current bows, more reverse in the handle with a multi-radiused laminated handle, 68" i believe it's 51 pounds at 28".  My son was home and in peak form.  i told him too help me check out the bow to see if he thought it would a good one for Mickey. At twenty yards he was stacking tighter groups with cedar tapered shafts than thought was possible and he was tearing them up pretty bad so i told him to back up. That put him into the neighbors yard, shooting under the horizontal of my 6' 3" clothesline bar. he was getting plenty of clearance, he backed up further and was getting about 6 to 8 inches of clearance under the bar.  I got an idea for him to test other arrows.  We tried 1818s and 1918 with 145 grain points, which were noticeably heavier than the cedars.  The difference of clearance was almost no different.  I expected that he would either hit or have to shoot over, but no, a couple of inches closer was all I could see. Personally I would need to break out my FITA target bow to shoot that consistently, but all we were really trying to decide as to which arrows I should give along with the bow.  The very little difference in arc was discovered as accidental observation.  Now this is an exceptional bow, I often wonder if this same scenario is always just a product of initial speed or if this varies from bow to bow because of design or limb mass.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I could be wrong but I think your numbers are off a wee bit! I kind'a gap/gun barrel/point and shoot. At 30 yards I hold right on a 3-D deers back and put it in the kill. No way my arrow is arching and dropping  9'. Now if the arch and total drop was 1/2 that.......I might believe that!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Don my friend, the quiver bussiness must be slow. You have way too much time on your hands. LOL. All I know is with a T-10 parachute fully open, your traveling 13 fps when you plow in. Good luck buddy. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Friend, that's the second time I've seen that formula. Are you "redneck engineer" on another site? I haven't seen it before then. I lived near Madisonville (Providence and Earlington) so I know the gravity is about the same as here in NC.

Batman, I just got a break from quivers. Had three dealers order this week. Now I'm working on some great stuff for this month. You are right about the T-10 parachute. A desent of 13 fps is to fast when you're landing in a frozen suger beet field. Good luck at the IBO. You guys looked pretty good last year.

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
20 yrds- 7"low- bottom of deers chest
25 yrds- point on
30 yrds- 7" high- top of deer back
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
That calculation is not correct. Basically you could think of it like this: if an arrow was shot perfectly horizontally at the same time another equivalent  arrow was dropped from the same height, they would hit the ground at the exact same time...in a vacuum so no wind resistance. so the forward velocity is independent of the gravitational pull. To calculate arrow drop at 20 yds, you would just need the time it took it to get there and plug it into a basic equation, which is what that ballistic calculator did. Unfortunately it has been 20 years since I worked with these equations in college physics so I can only recall them in a fuzzy way without looking them up. I recall videos showing in a vacuum dropping a ball and another with forward movement hitting the ground at the same time.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
2fletch - Don't participate on any other site, however I am a retired senior engineer from the Aircraft Engine world.

I pulled the equation from an internet search for calculating an object's drop based on time and the accelertion due to gravity. Did see the ballistic calcs but went with the simple equation.

You could be right. I might be a redneck.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
The arrow is not going 170fps all the way there it slows down pretty fast.  Pretty neat stuff any way. As long as they hit where I want them to.Or close to it.  :rolleyes:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©