3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best 3 piece longbow?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best 3 piece longbow?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Pronghorn. I like the extra mass in the riser. It travels well for my trips back east
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Wow, how do you answer this in one sentence? I must say that Mr. Morrison makes a great longbow as well as Abe from Cari-bow. In fact, I will have 2 Cari-bows in the stable shortly:) fun shooting they are gang:)Andrew

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Well, you'll have to decide on what you call a 3 pc. "L/B" ... If you want strung up "D" check out Hornes Combo Hunter {Awesome Bow} and Pronghorn right there also {not long enough for me though} and of course my NM Witbeck that will be coming next week !! Yippee !!! Lots of others out there, "But" they're 3 Pc. "Hybrids" of course .... Not L/B's ... Have Fun All ...

Offline Coiloil37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
I love my Leon Stewart slammer. Beautiful is an understatement.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 05:32:00 AM »
I have only shot a few three piece take down longbows.

But the one i have shot the most and am partial to is Randy Morin's "The Hi-Breed".
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Indiana-jim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
my vote, crow creek blackfeather

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
joe vt nailed it. I have owned quite a few 3 piece longbows. Most shot very well and were smooth and had very little hand shock. What made the difference for me was always the grip. If I like the grip and it feels natural to me and I do not have to think about how I am gripping the bow then I am for the most part happy with the bow. When I have decided to sell one of my 3 piece longbows it was usually because I did not like the grip. I have had several that I thought wow this is a nice bow if only it had the grip design of my other brand of longbow. There are so many great ones by sponsors on this sight. My favorite these days are the ILF risers with longbow limbs.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
I too own or have owned several three piece bows.  Like several others, it is in the grip.

However, another factor for me is the mass of the riser.  I prefer the mass of my Pronghorn and Horne Combo Hunter over a heavier riser mass.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
I think everyone has nailed it pretty well... There isn't one "best" bow for everyone, but there can be the one "best" bow for you!  Only YOU can decide which one that is...

All that being said, I like the Morrison Shawnee, A-riser with E-limbs makes a 62" bow... I like the Carbon Foam limbs too and the 1/2 Pinecones on the grip.  Again all that is personal prefference...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
You really have to shoot several bows to see what you like best.What one man likes another doesnt.Personally 3 pc longbows I like ACS CX and Leon Stewart's Slammer.Good luck with your search I suggest shoot as many as you can before you buy one.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Shoot as many as you can. Oh, and make sure you try the Dryad Orion and Epic
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Far more great bows out there than the few that I've tried. Just lucky to own one that likes me.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Best thing you could do is go to one of the larger 3D shoots and shoot as many different types as you can.   Only you can decide what shoots best for you based on your particular shooting characteristics.  

I, personally, settled on a Morrison Shawnee 3 piece.  In fact, I now have 2.  I have a 64" and a 62".  I love the 64"... Shoots like a dream.  I have the same bow in 62" and can't shoot it worth a hoot.  Go figure...  That's how different a bow can be, even from the same bowyer with the same design.   FWIW~ Steve

Offline snakebite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I can only speak about the 1 I have owned, Great Plains. Is it the best, I don't know, But I sure took alot of deer with that old bow.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
I have a couple high end long bows that I shoot  well. But a few months ago I bought a used Bob Lee long bow that I just love and it was 1/3 the price of my other bows. You just have to try them all until you find the one that's just right, like trying on a pair of boots that feel good the first time you put them on.  :cool:
Larry

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I'll second what Larry said,you just never know till you try some.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline JimL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Well guys I shoot a hybrid one piece and don't care much for three piece bows or didn't or might or well I liked the ones I shot today at the Stradford Ok shoot.  I can't remember if I ever heard of one until a buddy told me about them so I meandered over to look.  I really liked the one piece but G.W. Flanigan the bowyer talked me into trying one of his three piece bows.  I really didn't want to but he was nice and I didn't want to be rude.  Next thing I know I had shot low, med, and high wrist risers, thumb rests and no thumb rest with different wt limbs on the the same riser and my head was spinnin.  In the end I was holding a very comfortable, smooth, quite shootin son of a BOW.  What I really liked was I was knockin them out with some arrows that my 7 year old could have made.  I did the right thing though-I threw it down and ran.  My wife ain't over the last one yet.  Wow I'm kind of mixed up now.  I'm going to go to ETAR in a couple of weeks and shoot the big boys bows and see what the real deal is-who knows.  I'm pretty fresh out of the box but I was impressed.  Come to think about it I have been impressed several times lately.  Anyway I got his card.
...by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.   Col  1:20

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Horne and Navajos are real nice
The older I get the better I was

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
As Dan Toelke ask me.  Why do you want a 3 piece?
Beyond the take down ability it is pure aesthetics.  I must admit limb-bolts are pretty darn cool!

Zipper SXT, Toelke Lynx, Thunderhorn Heartstopper.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Bob Lee, new Sage...is cool too!!!marco
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement