3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: exactly what is finger pinch?  (Read 196 times)

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
exactly what is finger pinch?
« on: July 10, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
I've been shooting a 62 inch howatt hunter for 2 months now.  55@ 28  with a 29 1/2 inch draw. My lower shooting finger is pretty much permanently numb now. Is this from finger pinch? Do I need a different bow? It won't heal and its just now starting to effect me. What do I do?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: exactly what is finger pinch?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:06:00 AM »
You are pulling with most of the force on your lowest finger. Switch to two finger shooting and keep the tension 80% on the finger under the nock and 20% on the other finger.  I had the same problem and this fixed it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Agreed. Its not finger pinch caused by the Howatt. I owned two and they are very nice bows to shoot. My draw is 30". Is your elbow high at full draw?

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
What these guys said....not the bow, its your form. You shooting a glove, tab, ?
David M. Conroy

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
Have someone take a photo from the side while you are at full draw. I suspect your anchor is higher than your bow hand and you are pulling up on the string..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
The way I see it, if the finger is numb, it's probably from "form", but if there's pain, it's definitely "finger pinch".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Sure, his finger is being pinched, but should we call it that? Finger pinch as we define it generally is an acute angle of the string caused by the geometry of the bow and archer at full draw compressing the fingers. A Howatt Hunter does not give that sharp string angle at 29-1/2" of draw. I think its important to keep oranges oranges and apples apples when we can.

J-
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I had a similar problem from not using a deep enough hook on the string. No problem since making sure the string is all the way to the joint on that finger.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Because the acuteness of the string angle increases as a bow is drawn, all bow strings pinch the fingers toward the nock.  For most of us with normal draws and normal bow lengths, the discomfort caused by that pinch is negligible.  But as the draw length gets longer and/or the bow gets shorter, finger pinch may become more noticeable.  IMO 29 1/2 inch draw on a 62-inch recurve is right about at the point where finger pinch might become a problem. Any form problem would certainly exacerbate the finger pinch problem. I suspect, too, that you might have your drawing arm/elbow too high.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
What these guys said. Definitely form.

I just solved a problem with this. Do you find you are torguing the arrow off the rest? That is a real good clue to a specific line of easily corrected form problems. G. Fred Asbell talks about that in Advanced Instinctive Shooting for Bowhunting. Worked for me.

I concentrated on a deeper hook, starting out with a little more spread between my fingers, a more relaxed hand, I arched my draw wrist a little (there is a video somewhere around here on that) and worked on my draw elbow. Within a few arrows the pinching was gone and my shooting improved dramatically.

It really helps if you can get someone who has been shooting a long time to look at you. They can usually spot a problem immediately.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I had the same problem last year and basically was told to relax my drawing hand so the back of my hand was 'flat' and not under tension when drawing the string.  Also, make sure you are not drawing the bow with your arm - back only.  If you don't know what that feels like, make your own form master to check your back tension.  I shoot every day, split finger, and none of my fingers are sore any more.  You have a fine bow and just need to tweek your form.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Alright guys ill give it a shot. I've been having a hard time finding other trad shooters to help me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©