3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear Historians,Have A Question  (Read 210 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear Historians,Have A Question
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
I read a statement recently which I think may not be correct.

Regarding grizzly bears only,did Fred ever shoot any grizzlies that the guide had to finish?I'm hoping this question is appropriate.I just couldn't remember for sure.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear Historians,Have A Question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
I think he did have shot bye a guide and believe he shot one with his 44 also
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Interesting question, do not remember reading that myself. The first was in the Yukon, both Fred and Guide, Alex thought it was a black bear, it had been raining. Fred shot the Mountain Grizzly with his new Bear Razorhead, without his side-arm, which was on his horse, or the guide as backup.

He shot at least one in BC for the Outdoor Sportsman show with Curt Gowdy, and one with Fess Parker in tow. And, he spent some time in a tree, waiting for one to leave, after charging.

He took at least one Coastal Brown Bear (Grizzly), from behind a rock on the beach.

He shot two Sea Bears (Polar), one was stopped with by a backup when it charged, but they are not Grizzlies. He killed two Polars, one of the mounts was stolen from the museum.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
There were definitely instances where Fred's guide was forced to use a firearm against a Polar Bear after an arrow struck home, but that's all I know about.

He never related any stories to me concerning using a rifle against a Grizzly, however he did tell me a story about a neck mounted Grizzly he had hanging above his fireplace in Grayling.  Fred arrowed the bear one evening, but couldn't trail or approach the downed bear since one or more Grizzlies decided to decend on the carcass in the dark.  They went back at daybreak to recover the bear, however all that was left was enough hide to do a neck mount. The other bears had apparently eaten the rest! I have a home movie of Fred telling the story to my oldest daughter who was about 5 yrs old at the time.
Gary Logsdon

Offline FOXXNTROUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
anywhere you can find Fred Bear television episodes?

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
The ABC American Sportsman Grizzly, Mule Deer, and Polar Bear episodes are in a DVD collection produced by Bear Archery and sold by retailers such as 3Rivers.  The DVDs also contain the extensive "World of Adventure" series plus rare interviews.  

My all-time favorite Fred Bear films, "Kodiak Country", The Oldest Game", and the very powerful "Restless Spirit" are in the DVD package.  "The Restless Spirit" was very unique in it's time, much like the Wensel/Mitten films, "Primal Dreams" and the recently released "Essential Encounters"
Gary Logsdon

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Two thumbs up for the DVD collection - I would give it more if I had them!
Bought mine from Lost Nation (TG sponsor & good folks). The set was an absolute steal for the money. Treat yourself and order a set...
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I believe the footage of Fred shooting that Brown bear from behind the rock is on Youtube.  I remember watching it a couple years ago.  There's probably more hunts if you do some lookin'.  The cameraman on that particular hunt probably crapped his pants when that bear turned around that rock and started right towards him, camera got real shakey and footage is blurred. I would have stained my drawers too I'm sure!  I believe Fred shot that bear at less than 10 yds.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
There is also a really good audio CD available called Campfire Tails IIRC. It is an interview with Curt Gowdy and Fred Bear sitting around the campfire and Fred telling of some of his adventures in a relaxed setting.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
I have the Fred Bear complete DVD collection, but the ABC American Sportsman Grizzly episode is not in that collection.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks guys.I remembered the polar bears.I don't know of any grizzlies where that happened.Anyone have any information I am missing?

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Come to think of it that grizzly segment may not be part of the newest collection.  I bought an earlier collection that Bear sold in their pro shop at the Gainesville plant several years ago that included it and the other American Sportsman Shows.  I'll take a look and get back to you.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
The Grizzly show was shot in British Columbia and featured the scene where Fred whistles to get the bear to turn more toward him for the shot.  When the arrow strikes home the bear swirls and momentarily heads right at Fred.  It's of of the wildest archery hunt sequences ever filmed!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Well, I just checked and the three American Sportsman shows are there, in face I'm watching it and listening to Curt Gowdy right now.  It's on Disc #2, selection 04.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Here ya go.

Note: Hit your F5 key to refresh the page if the image fails to download.)

Gary Logsdon

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
I have never read of any grizzly that Fred shot that had to be dispatched with a rifle.
James Kerr

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
Thanks James.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I came in from work today and my son was watching the Fred Bear collection. I asked him if he recalled a story where Fred had to have a bear shot by the guide. He was pretty quick with the response and it seemed to ring true after he said it. He said Fred had made the statement while on the polar bear hunt that two other times he had gone after polar bear, but both times the bear had to be dispatched by the guide in self defense.
  Hope that helps.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanx much Gary, I didn't remember the American Sportsman episode being on there although I haven't watched any of the collection in a while. Will have to dig it out, thanx again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©