3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some input on boots  (Read 377 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some input on boots
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
I'll be chasing elk this September in Colorado near Steamboat.  It's getting almost past time to break in a new pair of boots and I would appreciate some input from you fellas that spend time hunting elk.  My main question is do you prefer #1: a lighter weight (less than 4lb), more flexible "hiking" style boot that may sacrifice support for mobility, or #2: a heavier (3.5-4lb), stiffer, "hunting" boot that provides more stability?  I understand that individual fit varies, (Danner Pronghorns which are very popular don't fit me well), but I'm looking more for a general preference.  As an example I tried on a pair of Vasque light hikers that felt like I was wearing sneakers, and a pair of Meindle Denali's that were super comfortable, but really stiff.  The guy working Cabelas shoe dept. just hung his head when I tried on about every boot they had and walked out undecided!  All input is appreciated.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some input on boots
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
I wear Pronghorns so that's out... but any boot for hunting in the mountains should have very good ankle support.. and a sole that grips wet rock well..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
Same here.  I've worn Danners on my last two elk hunts. Have you tried a pair without any insulation? I had problems with the ones that were insulated, just didn't feel right. On the other hand the uninsulated Pronghorns felt great and performed well when I wore an sweat wicking sock. They are also pretty light which I prefer.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
I have settled on 2 that I really like...........Asolo TP 535 an all leather boot like a Meindl-just not as clunky and a Lowa Renegade which is a medium weight hiking boot. I bring 2 pairs of boots and 1 pair of sneakers on any extended trips. Make sure they are broken in before your hunt.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:35:00 AM »
Sierra Trading Post has some great deals going on the Asolo's.  I've got a pair of the Sassalongs, which are pretty stiff, probably too stiff for elk hunting.  They're more of an alpine type boot.  I've worn the Lowas that Bjorn mentioned and really like them.  If the terrain you're hunting isn't really rough, you might consider trail running shoes, lightweight, good traction, quiet, many have Gore-Tex liners and easy to break in.  If you're hunting off horses or from your vehicle, keep a pair of boots at camp to switch into for packing out heavy loads.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
I like a stiff boot in the mountains.  Sidehilling is tough on the ankles, and a boot with good ankle support is critical for me.  They also help keep my toes from getting crushed in the front when going downhill.  Another factor to consider is the tread on the sole.  In rugged country you will want something pretty aggressive to bite in.
My current boot is a pair of Meindl's - best that I've tried yet.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Your big factor is going to be how much do you want to spend? The better boots will all be around $300.00. The Danner imports and all the those type of boots are throw aways in my oppinion. A good value to me means how long will it last me. Pronghorns got me a year and a half and to the land fill. I chose Kenetrek for there high quality and good value. This boot is the only boot in its class that can be resoled. This will be my 3rd year of abusing them and no signs of coming appart and tread is still got plenty of life. The reason I baught these boots is I had a pair of boots that where crippiling me while I was guiding. I went down to Bozeman MT for I had 8 more weeks of hunting to do. I went directly to Kenetrek for know one in town had my size left. They bent over back wards and found me my boots. Now I had my achelies tendon rubbed raw and as soon as I put these boots on I new I was going to be fine. These boots have all the ruggedness of a heavy boot with out the weight. You should have little to no break in period. One of the main reasons for this is the rockered sole. With this feature it promotes easy walking because you dont have to flex the thick rubber sole and leather as you do in other boots. I cant explain enough how well built and comfortable these boots are Period. With being able to rebuild them and the heavy use I put them through I think I can get 15 maybe more years out off them. You do the math and tell me which boot is the better deal! I have the insulated Mountain Extreme I dont have a problem with them even in warm weather. Late season I throw on gaters and no problems no matter how deep the snow. I have mine treated with Ray Holes Dri Boot which once treated is the best water proofer I have found it lasts a long time before needing another treatment. I sell Ray Holes products if you want to try some they are mostly found out west. My next pair of Kenetreks will be there hard scramble hikers non insulated for early season. I think Lowas are a good boot but they can not be rebuilt and that means a lot to me because once I get something working for me I dont want to throw it out. I hope this helps its a little more of a explanation than I prefer this brand.
Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
A couple of things.  

I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunters that I got at Cabelas maybe 12-15 years ago and they are still going strong though I only wear them about 3 weeks a year.  I'm sure the higher quality boots are great also but it all depends on what fits your foot.  Remember that in the mountains you are going either up, down or sideways - rarely level ground, so good ankle support is critical.  Also, I like a boot that has laces almost all the way to the toe so I can adjust the tension when doing heavy loads up or down.  Nothing worse than having your foot slip in the boot and of course the next step is dealing with blisters.  Another tip - no matter what boot you get - buy a package of Mole Skin and stick it in your pack. Weighs next to nothing but will absolutely save your bacon if you get out 4-5 miles from camp with a pre-blister that needs attention immediately.  Also, always have an extra pair of clean socks in your pack to change if you get overheated.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I wear several different models of Merrell mid-hikers.  They have not been the most durable boot for me but they are very light and extremely comfortable.  Ankle support is average but for me they out perform a heavy stiff boot if you need to take off running down a draw to get in front of a moving herd.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Something that I'd keep in mind.  I love Air-bob soles.  I'd never buy a boot without them "until something better comes out".  They give you traction in 360 degrees.  They do wear out faster then the neck breaking Vibram, so get a boot that can have the soles changed.  I'd never buy anything but a Russell, but I was once a liberal idot.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Ditto on the Air-Bob soles, I love them too, but not all air-bobs are made the same.  My mountain boots have fantastic air-bob traction on typical dry mountain terrain but suck in the snow.  Another pair has great snow traction but are way too soft for mountain hiking.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
I have air bob soles and they are great. I would have to rate Kenetreks K sole right at the top with the air bob. In fact they grip so good I tried to get in cover quikly and pulled a muscle in my calf. Slowed me down for a day my hunter was thankfull and he was a marathon runner.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I have never hunted elk, but have backpacked many miles in elk country.  If the terrain is fairly mellow, the mid weight hiking boots would be OK.  Save the light weights for camp shoes.  I wear mid weight Merrells every day for work and I love them.  I also have a light weight pair that offers no support and would not hike in them.  If you are going to hike in nasty mountains, I would get a nice stiff boot.  I have the Asolo powermatic 250 or 500 backpack boot.  Great boot and would be fine for packing out heavy loads.  I would also suggest getting boots from a professional boot fitter from a good store(like an EMS or REI) if you are finding it difficult to find ones you like.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I still prefer 511 tactical boots from Galls.com they are light , tough as nails ,made to be worn everyday in all types of terrain.They give great support,and wont break your wallet. These boots are by far the best boot I ever worn.I have had some name brand expensive boots fall apart after 6 months.other than 511 boots Rockies are my second choice..Oh and remember your sock choice is just as important as the boot.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
I hear you on the socks.  The one purchase I made that day was 6 different pairs of socks to test!
Thanks for the input.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
I've got the Meindles, but everyones foot is different. Our elk hunt is earlier so there is not much chance of cold wet weather. But I throw a pair of gaiters on in the bad weather and it turns the boot I like into a higher top. Good luck, it took me a while to find the boot for me.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
My vote is Lowa Tibets.  I'm also am a big fan of a stiffer mountain boot.  Meindl's, Kenetrek's, and Lowa's are all good boots.  Beyond that its usually personal preference.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
-did a 75km trip in the spring with Mendl's. From wet, sloppy, cedar lowlands through hardwoods, to rocky quartzite ridges. Water, dirt, rock, 40 degree slopes, 2 days of solid rain, and my boots protected my feet through it all. Can't say enough good things about Mendl's.
My son had Kennetrek light hikers, and the rubber rand came away from the boot. Wet feet for 3 days.
The only downside for me was that the leather Mendl's don't breathe, and during 6 hrs a day of high excertion, with 45 lb packs my feet did sweat, but I just changed socks whenever necessary.

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Consider a pair of La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX Mountaineering Boots. They are light weight and very supportive. They are hand made in Italy and fit exceptionally well, unless you have wide feet. They are waterproof(Gore-Tex)and crampon compatible. There is no better 3-season boot, IMO. Copy and paste below link for more info.

http://www.rei.com/product/721444/la-sportiva-trango-s-evo-gtx-mountaineering-boots-mens

The price (almost $300) and the color (red) are a little hard to get used to.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
I have a pair of the Asolos and they are nice boots but honestly you can't go wrong with a pair of Danner Mountain Light II's.  The only issue is break-in but you should be doing some conditioning right now anyway and should have no problem getting 25 miles or so you'll need to break in the Danners (or any leather boot including the Asolo's) anyhow...  

I just got my second pair of Danner Mountain Lights to replace the pair I bought in the early 1990's and the quality is as good as it ever was.

I paid right around $200 with shipping.

I like a heavier boot in the mountains with lots of rocky terrain as I feel it protects your foot a lot more than the light boots.  I also don't like a taller boot as they tend to make my shins sore.  (I've road marched and run too many PT tests in too many military jump boots to know better--back in the day we didn't use no sissy running shoes)

For me the only issue would be break-in.  But by September you should have a pair of boots well worn in if you use them as part of your conditioning walks....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©