3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEW LL BEAN Hunting Catalog  (Read 292 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
NEW LL BEAN Hunting Catalog
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Just got the new LL Bean Hunting catalog.
Lots of wool, solids, plaids,etc.There is even a mention of a jacket being "great for traditional bowhunting"
Very little "blob camo",too.(not implying that there is anything wrong with camo)Even a family archery set with real bows(no wheels).
I've had it for an hour and have looked through it seven times(so far).

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NEW LL BEAN Hunting Catalog
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I've seen this to, was wondering how thick the "maine" wool is compared to a filson garmet, 24oz. 18oz. etc. Going to invest in some filson bibs but can't afford a filson cruiser aswell so thinking of some LL Bean, or an Asbell pullover.
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
I have the Filson cruiser that I got with some money as a bonus a long time ago. Awesome jacket!
 I have never, ever seen anything by any manufacturer that compares to it. Not that there are not other types of wool weaves, thicknesses and etc.
 But this is a one of a kind combination of thick tightly woven specialty wool I have not seen used anyplace else. I think they get (or used to) wool from a very regional source in the Olympic peninsula area that live in the conditions that produce an especially tough, kinky wool fiber.
  Its a thick jacket. I don't hunt with mine.
I bought mine at LL Beans when I lived 15 minutes away...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
In my last bean catalog, almost everything was imported. Something I really hate to see or support when buying my gear.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Ordered from it last year-the stuff was very good quality.

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Ordered a green & black wool Maine guide shirt -when it arrived I couldn't believe how cheap it was! It was so thin you could almost read a newspaper through it!!!Made in Bangladesh! I called & asked about the shirt & why they brag about "american made quilty products" then sell "3rd world junk"I was told the shirt in question WAS american made.The shirt had a tag "made in Bagladesh" & also the plastic bag it came in. When I told the sales rep. this they still insisted "american made" Needless to say I returned the shirt. This happened a few years ago, now they put "imported" on many items. I'm not sure if that was on the shirt description when I ordered, but I don't think so.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Stick with Filson-- it's bombproof!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
I was just mentioning a cool catalog,wow!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I ordered some Bean Camo Wool Pants 2 yrs ago hoping to wear them for Shawns Bunny Hunt. I ordered them 2" larger in the waist so I could layer thermals.

They arrived....and I couldn't get them around my waist even though the tag 36". Then I seen they were built in Indonesia. Bean took them back, and sent another pair....same problem...they had to be mislabeled. Plus the wool was cheap and not the quality of Day One or Filson.

I sent the second pair back, got my refund and NOW...I throw out every Bean catalog that enters my home....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline dsc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I have to say it is a cool catalog but I've never ordered any clothing from them.I can say my brother and I have been wearing bean boots since the early 80's and have yet to find a better stalking boot.Had a set of 14"ers from the mid 80's that went through 3 sets of bottoms.The uppers were getting so bad I couldn't keep my feet dry.It was cool they came out with the 16"ers,timeing was spot on.Still made in maine and hope to get 20 years out of them.   Dan

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
I'll second the Maine Hunting Shoe.  Ordered my first pair, 12" version, last September and have been very happy with them and made in the good ole US.

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
Hold on naysayers! LL Bean HAS had some crappy items on occassion, but quickly discontinue them as soon as the items start being returned in numbers. I had to return a pair of ankle boots recently, brand new, but the stitching was poor. However, I'm a steadfast LL Bean customer and continue to shop there. Why? Simple... LL Bean is a Maine icon, known for quality and customer satisfaction and quality goods. I just threw out a pair of sneakers, purchased by my grandfather in the 50's and used up until his death in 92. I used them for several years after. I have 50 year old snowshoes, fly fishing equipment, wool jackets, hatchet, knives, packbaskets, etc., ALL sold by LL Bean 40-60 years ago, and passed down to me. My LL Bean hunting boots, I bought new in 1988, have been resoled 2x, and I STILL use them in winter! My wife and I shop there today any time we are near Freeport. True, much of the current items ARE imported from Asia (like my many of my Toyota Truck parts and my old Ithaca SKB O/U shotgun), but the quality IS there, or it is not offered for long. LL BEAN stands behind their products. LL Bean has 100% customer satisfaction, if you don't like it...return it. The hunting section, both long guns and archery, is great to walk through, and the fishing section is 2nd to none. And tons of shoes, clothes, etc. for the ladies! Well worth a visit if you get up here to the Northland.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
They kept changing credit cards, and giving my information to a different bank, or wanted me to supply it again. I got tired of that.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I have been a customer of LL Bean for over 30 years. Over the last few years I have seen products come and go due to the quality. Like so many other companies that have resorted to imports to keep or increse profit margin, the goods they sell fall short from goods of yesteryear.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Filson, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, were all American hunting icons at one time with good ole USA products.  Now all three import many of their catalog items.

Thanks for the tip on the Bean catalog...will have to request one.  I do love their boots!

Lon Scott

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Ditto on the Maine Hunting Shoe. 15yrs. on my 14"ers. They remain my early season whitetail boot.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
So my wife went with me on a business trip Tuesday.  The catalog had just shown  up, so she was looking through it as we drove.  She kept telling me to pay attention to the road and read it later.  Well, after the meeting I got her to drive and went to read the catalog.  She'd already thrown it away cleaning out the car.  She heard about it all the way home.

As for LL Bean, I like dealing with them.  Not everything they sell is perfect anymore, but most of their stuff is a great value (and I don't mean in a Walmart type of way.)  If it doesn't work, they'll always take it back with no hassles.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Has anyone had their boots re done with new soles from there?  I have some 16's that have lasted 20 yes but need soles now-

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Tim,

I sent a pair back to Maine a couple years ago after the rubber bottoms developed a leak (boots were almost 30 years old).  

I could have bought a new pair, but wanted to keep the leather uppers for sentimental reasons I guess.  

They returned the boots with new rubber bottoms and did an outstanding job at a reasonable price.
Lon Scott

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Thanks Lon,
I'm packin mine up tonight - I called and they said 3 weeks or so and they will be done!
TIM B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©