3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking About a Take-Down Curve  (Read 223 times)

Offline Scioto

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking About a Take-Down Curve
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Lately I have been setting some money aside for a new recurve, and have been giving some serious consideration to a take-down recurve.  For you guys who shoot a takedown, what are some of your reasons for choosing it over a one piece.  Mass/weight?  Flexibility, etc.???  For those who don't like em, why not?  It's not often that I get a new bow, and I want to consider all of the pros and cons before I make my decision.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking About a Take-Down Curve
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
A take down is easy to transport since it can be broken down when storage space is concerned. Also, you can get another set of different poundage limbs.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I like them for convenience, mass and flexibility...I have multiple sets of limbs for several of my recurves. Best advice i can give..for what its worth...shoot as many as you can before deciding on one. Lots of real beautiful bows out there..that shoot great

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Don't stop at just a t/d, how about an ILF riser. You want combinations that will keep you busy. ILF will allow you to use the same riser, and as many limb combinations you want. Very portable and very accurate bows. You can choose metal risers or wood risers. Range of limbs from 150.00 all the way up to snake skinned 800.00 Morrison limbs.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Night Wing hit it on the head . If you plan on going on hunts that require airline travel they are the way to go . I haven't noticed any performance issues with take-downs but then again I only have a few one piece recurves .I use a compound bow case for travel and it holds 2 takedowns , 24 arrows and half my clothes , can't be beat in my opinion , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
All of the above ,, Now go and get you an Assenheimer !!!

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Although I have had instances where I thought it would have been handy, I have never owned one.  I much prefer the grace and simplicity of the one piece.  I feel in archery, as in anything in life, there is a certain amount of confidence that can be gained by appreciation of one's equipment, so for me it is all about the one piece.

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Most of the time, you'll probably never notice or benefit from the take downs advantages.  But when it is important or handy, that 2-5% of the time, you'll love it.  I don't know how many times my wife or kids have piled or thown stuff on my one piece bows in the car (I am careful and they know how protective I am of my bows).  I feel a lot more comfortable even on shorter car rides that the bow is broken down in a protective case.

Offline zatoichi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Two reasons for buying a 3 pc. bow -
Easy to transport & ability to change weight .
Negatives - every time you take it apart you have to re assemble it . Cost of another set of limbs . Weight of a 1pc. vs. 3 pc.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
i like them for the mass weight in the riser..and i can change weight in the limbs
i like biscuits

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Mass weight for me. Also shipping is much easier if you decide to sell it.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I prefere the TD for all the reasons above,then I like the style more.I ain't ever wanted a custom one piece,but I love my vintage 60's and 70's curves!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I shoot takedowns for one reason only . just  for the portability.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
If you break a riser your limbs are still good, just get a new riser & vise versa, good riser get new limbs! I'm really liking the flexability of the ilf bows myself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©