3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow help  (Read 176 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Arrow help
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I am not comfortable with Stu's calc on woodies.

Does this look right?

I know the weight and cut from center on the bow is right as I have measured both. This is a belly/back fiberglassed old bow from the 70s. It's one you could buy from Bingham and finish yourself. It is D-shaped when strung and straight when unstrung. Hand shock is definitely there.

I want at least 10gpp and it looks like this is about spot on.

I want to order some heavy woodies which leads to my next question. Who sells 32" shafts that are about 450gr per shaft raw? I'd like to go with Surewood Douglas Fir if possible.

I'm thinking about taking this heavy guy (for me anyway) to the woods if I can get an arrow to tune out of it.

Thanks for any help in advance.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Everything looks very good, but I've got one question. The strike plate position of 3/8 you entered. Is this with or without a strike plate attached?

As an example. Both of my bows are cut 3/16" past center. This equates to (-3/16). My strike plate thickness is 1/8" thick. This equates to (+2/16). The final strike plate position for both of my bows is (-1/16).
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
The 3/8 is with strike plate. It's definitely out there and almost looks like a stick bow with no shelf. The strike plate is thin leather that's less than or equal to 1/16; maybe more on the lines of 3/64ths thick.

Thanks for the input.

Bud

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to go with Douglas Fir shafts.  Just from my experiences, they are superior to cedar (durability, weight and straightness).
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks Mike.

And thanks for the PM.

Bud

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
For me, I found I need 10lbs more spine than the calc says w/ wood. The calc is on w/ aluminum and carbon though
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
It looks good to me also. But I don't think you'll be able to get 31"bop. If you go with 75# spine weight Surewoods cut to 30"bop you'll have 9.9 gpp, 641gr arrow.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
thanks...keep the input coming if you have a suggestion worth putting in type  :)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Bud, I just ordered 2 dozen Surewoods yesterday. These are to be my first woodies and I had a lot of questions about what spine and weight etc..

Anyway, I called Steve at Surewood and he was great. He turned me on to some shafts that will put me right where I wanted to be. I ordered them tapered for nock and point, with a shaft taper to 5/16" on the nock end. They usually sell them 32", but they cut some shorter for quality control so I was able to get mine cheaper as I draw 27".

I'll PM you his number.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I called Steve. Gonna commit early next week sometime after one more conversation.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©