3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice on purchasing first longbow  (Read 287 times)

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need advice on purchasing first longbow
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Hello all,

I've been away from Trad Gang for awhile, the downturn in the economy and a new job has kept me really busy. Anyway, I am seriously contemplating purchasing my first longbow and would like some advice. I currently shoot several different bows. A Hoyt compound, a Hoyt Gamemaster takedown recurve, a Chek-Mate Falcon and a DH Black Mamba.

The Gamemaster and Mamba are both 55#@28" and the Falcon is 50#@27" My draw length is 28" and I have been shooting since I was about 16, with traditional gear for about 4 years off an on. I would not say I am a die hard shooter but I do enjoy archery and shoot as much as work, family and etc allow. I would like to locate a quality longbow, I am thinking 45-50# range @ 28" RH. I will mostly use for target shooting but would likely end up taking it to the deer woods if not this year then the next. My budget is probably in the $200-$300 range but I might be willing to save and go a bit higher for the right bow.

Would love to hear suggestions and recommendations from you guys and I have been and will continue to browse the classifieds here.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Steve

Online bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice on purchasing first longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Keep watching the classifieds. There are high quality bows that go at a bargain price. I have purchased all my Hill bows from the classifieds.If buying new, I would seriously look at the Bamabows hunter. Site is  www.bamabows.com.  Nate builds a great bow. It is a little higher than your budget, but is very well worth it.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Hey Steve, I live in Clermont [born and raised in Gainesville] I like Howard Hill bows and have a Mohawk and Black Widow PL. r/d bow are going to shoot similar to a recurve and the Hill style bows are a different feel and grip but are more forgiving and just plain fun to shoot. The Mohawk is probably the easiest shooting bow I have ever had and it looks good too. We have a trad shoot with the North Ga. Traditional Archers in August , you should come visit and meet the guys and gals.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
a great longbow that will give you a lot of bang for your buck is definitely the Bear Montana longbow.  i started out with a 45# for my first trad bow. great bow for the price. my favorite longbow that ive owned yet is my annewakee addiction. its my ideal longbow. high R/D, super smooth, pretty to boot. they run a good bit higher than a montana, either would be a good choice
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Bunch of great bows in the classifieds for your money.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Shoot a bunch of them. Figure out what length you want. Length on a longbow is a big deal for some people. Some have a hard time with a 66 or 68 because it snags their shirt when canting/drawing.

Also - the type of longbow. There is quite a difference between an R/D bow and a D-style bow.

I just took the plunge and it worked out great for me but that doesn't always happen.

If you're going to buy a Montana - get it used. There are too many good bows on the classifieds right now for around $300 to buy a Montana new.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Sounds like a perfect Bear Montana candidate to me.
Silence is golden.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
DON"T BUY A HIGH DOLLAR BOW FOR YOUR FIRST...or a big name bow just because everyone talks about it.  If it doesn't fit YOU, it ain't worth squat.

Go to that shoot Blueridge mentioned coming in August and try as many different ones as you can.  People will let ya shoot theirs.  Save your money up and be ready to buy the one that fits you.  You'll know it when you shoot it.

The more you shoot your taste will change, and you'll always be looking for THAT ONE. So just get one that feels and shoots good for ya, and be ready to want another, and another, and....   :bigsmyl:

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blueridge:
Hey Steve, I live in Clermont [born and raised in Gainesville] I like Howard Hill bows and have a Mohawk and Black Widow PL. r/d bow are going to shoot similar to a recurve and the Hill style bows are a different feel and grip but are more forgiving and just plain fun to shoot. The Mohawk is probably the easiest shooting bow I have ever had and it looks good too. We have a trad shoot with the North Ga. Traditional Archers in August , you should come visit and meet the guys and gals.
Hey Blueridge, I am a member and need to come to another shoot, been a while since I made it to a shoot. Will try to make it in August. Everyone else thanks for the replies and keep em coming. Appreciate the input!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Maddog bows.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Joekeith got it right ,, you could shoot all of mine but i'm a lefty.  Hope to see you there I will be giving the devotional at 8am.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I have bear montana listed in the classifieds for $200 64 inches long 55@28 shoot me a message if interested
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Because you're more accustomed to "pistol style" recurve grips, I think straight Hill Style grips are not for you. Length, I would not exceed 62" with your 28" draw for hunting in the eastern woodlands. Look also for bowyers warranties if you consider buying new, although there are no real good new longbows out there for the budget you mentioned. If you decide to stay with basic woods, a good longbow is available in the 500-600 Dollar price range.
I would buy a used one from a trusted bowyer from the classifieds. All bows are very similar in performance when they have the same form (hybrid, reflex-deflex, reflex, straight etc.)
The grip is on of the most important features, so I strongly recommend getting a 2 piece-TD with a sleeve, which allows you to form your grip to your liking. The size of your hand will determine what sleeve size you need, then bondo can make almost every grip under a leather or sure-gip rubbergrip.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I agree, because of how a standard Hill style bow is designed and tillered, they really need to be shot with a low grip to balance on the release.  It is a good shooting extremely versatile style for hunting, but it can get you messed up jumping from one form to the other. A good hybrid would be an easier transition. On the other hand, shooting a longbow using the style similar to John Schulz and Howard Hill is fun and gets results.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Don Dow stik bow. Has a recurve type grip, they shoot great and are in that price range. His website needs some better pics but dont let that fool ya.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Steve,

I will be at the Gainesville shoot in Aug. and can bring a few bows along for you to try just to get a feel for what you might like.  Look me up if you get the chance to go.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Bear Montana longbow. It's a great bow and in that price range. And the new ones are even better performers than the older ones. If you wanted a top of the line bow though I recommend any of the Tomahawk bows.
James Kerr

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
If you are willing to spend a few more bucks for a custom bow ,contact Lee at keepitsimplearchery.He makes 2 really nice but different longbows.I have the Protege longbow & love it.But what ever you choose,good luck & good shooting.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
You can get a used Kanati for about $350 to $400, if you'll be patient. That's a steal for a great bow! (And not too far over budget    ;) )
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Steve, your were born in a good month, sir!

I bought my first longbow almost 30 years ago. Not alot of variety, then!

Today it's like Baskin Robbins, 30 some odd flavors!

If I was starting tommorrow, with hind sight, and limited money, I would shoot as many as possible, at a shoot, friends, wherever!

Buy the one that "You" shoot and like the best!

They're out there, waitng for ya, good shootin!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©