3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SNOW SEAL FOR BOOTS?  (Read 388 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
SNOW SEAL FOR BOOTS?
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I have always used SNOW SEAL to treat leather boots or leather anything really- is there anything better out there that you use?  
My ol'man said you couldent beat bear fat for waterproofing!
TIM B

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SNOW SEAL FOR BOOTS?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
I have used Sno-Seal for years.....always worked for me!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Bear fat is a little harder to come by.  Has to be rendered first, as well.  I use snow seal.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Not sure if SS has silicone in it, but many boot companies do not recommend silicone for waterproofing. Go to your local hardware store and get leather waterproofing/conditioner with beeswax. If your spending alot of money on boots, be sure to read their care instructions.

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Everything leather of mine gets Sno-Seal once a year or so. Can't beat it.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
The Gang here turned me on to Montana Pitch Blend. Several sponsors here carry it. Love the stuff and use it on all my leather goods now.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
SnoSeal  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
X2 Montana pitch blend, Use a heat gun or a hair dryer till the leather doesn't soak up any more.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
The info on leather care is very limited and what is on the label may not always be the best way. There are so many types of leather and all may require a difrent applicaton. Boots with rubber rands such as Lowas Kenetreks that are glued to the leather are very touchy. To much oil or grease will cause delamination. Most of the high end boots are made with what is called naked leather a chrome tan with no oils or such in the leather. I have also found many of the greases to always colect dirt  which becomes abrasive to the leather. Pitch blend is one that any friction brings that pine pitch to the surface and is miserable to get off kind of like pine sap on your hands. In the leather profession we have a lot of products that the general public does not get info on. what ever you use to oil or lubricate your leather with should be sealed after it sets for a day. I have to run to town but I will finish up this later.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
I do beleave snow seal has silicone in it but not sure. Animal fats or animal biproducts (neatsfoot oil ground bone and hooves) are some times not the best choices. If the leather is stored say in a tack shed it will promote rodents to even eat the leather. Products with vegtable oils are usally better for leather. Pure olive oil is a exellent product to bring life back to any leather. It penetrates very quickly because of its vescosity and does not darken as much as other oils. I use it on my boots but it must be used lightly!!!! Kenetrek now has there own formula of dressing with vegtable oils and  bees wax so to keep boots from delaminating. I have not found one product alone that will both preserve and seal at the same time well. No mater how I treat my leather I put a top coat sealer. I sell a product called Ray Holes Dry Boot. It is been around in the west for along time. It is a very good finish for hard use leather products. Its main ingrediants are bees wax and caranuba wax. It is a harder wax that needs some heat (microwave or boiling water) then apply and use a hair dryer or the warmth of your hands to help penetrate the leather. But once it cools and you buff the excess of it is the ultimate barrior against water and dirt. I can get a full hard hunting season with a good application. I will bump the Ray Holes product to the top in sponsor classifieds. I hope this info was of help.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Montana Pitch blend should be used only on full grain leather boots.

The cobbler in my town turned me on to a product by "Obenaufs".  Its called leather oil (mixture of Beeswax, preserving oils and Propolis).  They also make a Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP for extra wet conditions.  Good stuff IMO.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Randy,
What are my Danner Pronghorns made out of ?
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I know a fella who swears by Axle Grease ,, Course, I wouldn't use it {he he} .........

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Randy is right.

To quote Cowlitz Logging Supply.

Obenauf's Heavy Duty Boot Grease LP
$8.40

"Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP) is the most durable protection available for leather on the face of the planet. Originally developed for the extraordinary conditions endured by wildland firefighters, LP protects, preserves, and restores furniture, boots, saddles, motorcycle leathers, fine apparel, tool pouches, gloves, baseball mitts, and more. It is especially useful for any leather that gets worked hard and is regularly exposed to severe elements. Three different natural oils are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis. In the leather these oils gradually seep out of the Beeswax/Propolis. If exposed to heat or flexing the oils are released faster so leather gets oiled instead of parched and cracked. This Beeswax/Propolis* Suspension Formula provides a time release lubrication to inner fibers while the surface is reinforced against scuffing, and the leather still breathes. The remarkable result is Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP that: Repels water better and longer. Repels acids, petroleum, salt, and chemicals. Restores dried leather to a soft and supple condition and protects it from further damage. Prevents dry rot and resists mildew. Resists premature cracking in flex areas. Works great on Gore-Tex® footwear. Is odorless after applied (very important for hunters) Restores sun-faded leather. Resists scuffing and dry rot. Applies easily with with a clean cloth. Penetrates deeply into leather. Can be buffed to shine or polished over. CONTAINS NO HARMFUL SILICONES, PETROLEUMS, SOLVENTS, OR NEATSFOOT. Is approved for Gore-Tex® footwear. *Propolis resists bacteria and mildew, and is a barrier against manure acid, salt, caustic chemicals, and petroleum. Combined with beeswax it repels water better and longer."

Available in most outdoor stores. Darn good..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Sno-seal is the best I've ever used on leather...it is made of beeswax...

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
You have to be carefull Obenaufs will delaminate boots with the rands glued to the leather. It also contains pig fat. That keep relaeasing aspect does work and every thing and any thing sticks to your boots. Like abrasive dirt and grit beleave me I used it a lot!! If it is used I would seal it.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
I use a wax toilet bowl ring. Rub it on dry and hit it with a hair dryer to melt it and smooth it all over. You can stand in water with dry feet.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Boots get nixwak and snowseal depending upon the boot most all other leather gear gets montana pitchblend

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Ive used snoseal and my boots were sealed up so much they would not breath and my feet sweat and got cold . Pitch blend was better.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I like snoseal.  I don't believe it has silicone in it.  Basically it's beeswax dissolve in mineral spirits.  You can make your own if you like.  But it's pretty cheap and ready to go.  I use my heatgun to warm up the leather a bit after I rub it on.  Works really well on all-leather boots.

You can also make your own silicone "waterproofer" by dissolving silicone sealant in mineral spirits until you get a consistency you can work with.  Works great on boots with plastic integrated in the design but don't use it on your Goretex.  It will seal seams on your boots as well as tents, tarps etc.

Here's there website:   http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©