3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling All Bowhunters!  (Read 479 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Calling All Bowhunters!
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Especially if you hunt deer in Indiana!

Please check out the Hunting Legislation forum about crossbows during bow season in Indiana.

I hope this is okay to put here. I re-read the policy and couldn't see where it was not allowed.
If it's not ok I understand.

Thanks!
Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling All Bowhunters!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Yet another state to fall!  Truly sad.  They did that in Texas.  Heard a guy talking about hitting a doe at 100 yes.  Never recovered of course.  Just had to walk away if I said what I was thinkin it would not have ended well!
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Yet another state to fall!  Truly sad.  
Yep! NC went last year. Should NOT be consided a bow if ya can put a scope on it.

Just my .02
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »
Shouldn't be considered a bow if it can be mechanically held at full draw.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Same disease is entering West Virginia. They finally passed it for handicap hunters. I was stunned at how many of my friends were handicapped and I didn't even know it. Those junk bows just piss me off but what do you expect with the so called professional hunters on TV blowing the horn about taking a great animal with their cross-gun. They are only going to get worse.

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
It happened in Pa. too

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
been like that in SC for a few seasons now... i don't understand why tradgang is aginst them.  i'll be the first to tell to say i don't know squat about a crossbow. i havn't ever shot one and don't have a desire to.  are they that much more advanced then a compound?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
A slob hunter is a slob hunter a good hunter is a good hunter. I judge not, the person by the tools he or she chooses to use as long as legal. Traditional hunters are of course at the top of the food chain  :thumbsup:  

X bows been around here for as long as I can remeber and the good hunters keep their shots within same range as any compound shooter.
hunt it

Offline Bob Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
It starts in Florida this year too.
Bowhunting is not just a way of life, it is also fun.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
I don't think we should fight amongst ourselves when it comes to legal weapon of choice.  I believe that antihunters call that "divide and conquer"
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
We've been fighting this here in Missouri, with our lazy, instant gratification needing society it's just a matter of time.  I guess they feel if it has the word bow in it it should be legal for archery season.  How far away are we from the legalization of the "bow-zooka"?  TRW

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archie:
Shouldn't be considered a bow if it can be mechanically held at full draw.
This is why it shouldn't be considered ok in BOW season, IMHO.
Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Should one wish to get traditional about this the crossbow has been is use since the 3rd century by the Chinese. Thats older than all my longbows.  :readit:
hunt it

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Blaino,
No, they are not more advanced that a tricked out compound nor are they any more stealthy.  The one is as easy to shoot as the other.  Game departments need to attract more hunters into the field, and away from TV and Video or computor games, or they, and ultimately, we all loose this sport we dearly love.  
Traditional archery is the hardest way to hunt when compared to the other disciplines but tag sales to the likes of us will never pay the bill that feeds Game Departments.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
I was once the most rabid anti crossbow guy on the planet. They introduced them in both Alabama and Tennessee where I hunt. I consider their introduction as part of the general dumbing down of America which is unavoidable, so where ever they are proposed get ready to accept them.

The good news is their introduction didn't affect my bowhunting in the least. I still hit the woods with my osage selfbow and wood arrows and have the satisfaction of doing it the "Real" hard way.

I am not anti crossbow now although I can't see myself ever owning one. If I ever get where I can't shoot my selfbow I will wait until gun season and whack deer with a flintlock rifle that I built myself.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Crossbows are just as much archery as are compound bows.. I fought the compound tooth and nail yet it was the infusion of lifeblood that archery needed... now the crossbow has finally been allowed as it should have been... Welcome to the woods...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Well said Eric! My path has been like yours. Once the "cool" wears off a X bow, we have a new guy or gal to invite to the next ASTB shoot and introduce them to the heart & soul of archery - not the cotton candy.

One day I hope to be confident enough to hunt with an Osage self bow like you. I am shooting laminated composite bows with carbon arrows...
J
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I also, used to be as Anti-cross bow, as they come. Until my Dad lost the ability to pull a bow string and the crossbow was what kept him in the woods his last few years. Kind of changes your perspective.
  I know that it has been instituted into the Texas Archery season, but I really don't understand what the big beef is. 90% of texas is privately owned land. If you don't want folks hunting with crossbows on your property, don't allow it. If you don't want them on your lease, either don't allow it or get a new lease where they aren't allowed. JMHO

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
MI when that route this year.
Had to be 56yr old or so before.
10yrs or over now..might be 12ys.

Either way, I'm not walking to my blind without orange anymore.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
While I am not a fan of crossbows at all, I don't see where it will be an issue for me.

Everyone has to make a choice, and the crossbow guys even know it's not a real bow. If they choose to hunt with one thats fine, but they know.......

I hunt Indiana reguraly on private ground. Both the landowners where i hunt have told me that they will not be allowing any crossbows on there properties.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©