3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock point.  (Read 155 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock point.
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under.

My nock point is completely 'square' or level if you will in relation to the shelf on my bow. It has been like this for months, and the bow seems to shoot just fine that way.

Yet, I hear everyone say that their nock point is as high as 3/4" high. That seems wrong to me to run your nock point so high. Anyone else have a 'square' nock point like myself??
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock point.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
i don't shoot 3 under. my nock point is not square, nor is it 3/4 high. more like 1/4 to 3/8. the only time i've ever heard of a nock point that high is when shooting plastic vanes off the shelf. don

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I should say that SOME people have theirs as high as 3/4". And most seem to have it somewhat high.

What is the reasoning behind not having a level nock point??

Not arguing with it. Just curious, and wondering if it really matters that much.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
i was just reading the topic titled 3 under noise and someone wrote that some 3 under shooters have their nock point high to help eliminate noise and vibration that sometimes comes with 3 under shooting. where your nock point ends up has to do with arrow flight. don

Offline Mike Brockner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I paper tune to verify what my nock height should be, what ever that amount is, is where I shoot. I shoot 3 under and my nock height is set at at least 7/8 above the arrow shelf. Mike

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
USN...  The theory is that the bottom of the nock/arrow shaft (bottom being the part of the shaft that rides the shelf) should be above the straight line from the shelf to the string.  If as you say the nocking point is "square", the bottom of the arrow shaft will actually be below the shelf at the point it sits on the string.  Having your nocking point as many say about 3/8 above square will put the bottom of the shaft/nock slightly above the shelf ( assuming an arrow of 5/16 to 11/32 diameter).  Variations are due to different arrow shaft diameters or the different stresses involved between 3 under and split finger releases and hence the "tuning" by raising or lowering the NP.  For what it's worth, what works and gives good arrow flight for you is what you should do.  Note too that compounders use a "square" NP since they usually use a fall away rest of some sort.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:
I should say that SOME people have theirs as high as 3/4". And most seem to have it somewhat high.

What is the reasoning behind not having a level nock point??...
1) Some bows were designed having a higher nock point, such as Howatt Hunters. They shoot great with a high nock.

2) Everyone brings their own geometry to a bow design and nock point is in relation to that bow/archer combination.

Shoot some bare shafts and you will find out right away if your nock is set correctly.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©