3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which mineral block?  (Read 409 times)

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
Which mineral block?
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Which do you find has worked the best for you?  I see blocks in most of the trail cam photos and was thinking I'd try putting a few out this year.

Thanks,
Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which mineral block?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Trace mineral 50lb blocks from the feed stores. It has salt and a ton of other minerals that are good for the deer and rack growth.

We have been using them for years and all kinds of animals like them, If 50lbs is too big cut them in half with a saw. Best part is they last for months and only cost around $6.oo each.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I tried the Trophy Rock this year and have had deer hitting it pretty good.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I use Trophy Rocks,the deer like it and they last a good while.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Trophy Rock out two weeks ago. It's already licked slick.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I'm with Tracy, trace min block. 263 pics in 6 or 7 days, they like it.

I tried all kinds of stuff before including an on-sale trophy rock, it worked bout the same, but bait like corn gets coon and bird pics.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I've been using the mineral blocks like Kenny and Tracy for almost 20 years and the deer use it almost all year. They have actually made a main trail that goes right by it. I've also had many different animals visit it from deer to bears to coyotes to turkeys to gray and white squirrels plus others.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Ive had the best luck with trace mineral also. I have a couple trophy rocks out know. Dont know how they are hitting them yet
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
Trace mineral 50lb blocks from the feed stores. It has salt and a ton of other minerals that are good for the deer and rack growth.

We have been using them for years and all kinds of animals like them, If 50lbs is too big cut them in half with a saw. Best part is they last for months and only cost around $6.oo each.

Tracy
Thats what I use. Great stuff
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 06:00:00 AM »
Mineral salts aren't just good for the animals either, it's much better for you than normal table salt and at 6 bucks for 50lb it's cheaper to!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
The "Rock" has always atracted the critters for me.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Anyone familiar with "Ranch House Apple Deer Block"?  It's a 50lb salt/mineral block that Academy sells for $8.  The description sounds like the trace mineral block.  Same thing?

Thanks for all the input.
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Google "Deer Mineral Lick".  You'll get info on making 200 lbs for about 40 bucks.  It's just mixing 3 bags together.  I tested it against commercial mixes about 5 years ago and found they linked google's better.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
If I remember right Dr Craig Harper, ( Univ Tenn ), said that regular old mineral block or bagged mineral 2:1 sold at the local farm stores is about the best there is $$$ wise and supplement wise. What you want is the 2:1 ratio of calcium and phosphorus or vice versa, cannot remember and just enough salt to get the deer to take it. Without enough salt content the deer will not use it enough, the minerals are not tasty to them. Some of the other stuff on the market has a huge salt content and deer will wear it out, but does not have the calcium and phosphorus needed for antler growth. Antlers are calcium and phosphorus..... not salt ! JMHO and listening and learning from the good Dr. Harper who monitored about 200 licks in his studies.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm with the other guys.  Trace mineral blocks from the local tractor supply or co-op.  

I alway bust the big blocks up a little and mix it in the dirt.   The deer will lick that spot in the ground for years to come...  I usually refresh the lick once a year or so with on of  the small individual blocks meant to go in horse stall feed buckets.  They cost a couple of bucks each.  I don't like leaving the whole blocks laying around--it just looks too much like I'm baiting to too many different people.

Mineral blocks are good at attracting deer but if you want big bucks by far the biggest thing you can do to help that is let the little one's walk and kill as many does as humanly possible.  If you can get the buck to doe ration down to 6-1 you'll see a good improvement and if you get it down to 3-1 you'll see awesome results.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Amen KY Jeff on the doe thinning ! Some parts of TN were 10:1 for a while. We are allowed 3 bucks, sure wished it was 2 or maybe even 1 for a few years. West TN you can kill 3 does per day, that right there shows that we are not doing our part and killing enough does if the TWRA has allowed this the past 3 seasons ! You would think after 3 years of that that we would not have a doe left, right ??? Too many hunting for big horns and bragging rights instead of eating what they kill..... IMHO.

When Dr. Harper spoke at our QDMA meeting he educated us about food plots, mineral sites, camera surveys etc, etc. However, the best moment of the meeting was when showed a slide of different age class does all together and posed the question, " Which doe do you kill ? " For one time in my life I said the first thing that came to my mind and got a gold star...... " You shoot the BROWN one !!! "
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
People don't understand how crucial the buck to do ratio is and also don't understand why its critical to kill older does.

A whitetail doe will throw a single fawn her first breeding year.  After her first fawn she typically will throw two fawns.  (Much like a sheep)  The problem with that is its been proven that fawns thrown as a pair grow up to be smaller and have less probability they will grow into mature bucks.  So get rid of those 3 year old and older does.   Besides they get smart and will rat you out to the rest of the herd when you are sitting on a stand.   :)

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
I use trace mineral blocks and also the same thing in a 50 lb. bag. They love trophy rocks also but a bit pricey. The deer can go through a bunch of them in a summer on my place.
bolong

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I mix my own...I prefer the granulated minerl to the "blocks"....I mix "Dumor Spring Mineral Mix" with "Trace Mineralized Salt w/ selenium" .....mix these 2 ingredients 50/50. I buy each in 50# bags at Tractor Supply so I get 100# per batch. The deer on my place go CRAZY for it.
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Like I stated earlier here I use Trophy Rocks.Reading other methods such as granules I have often wondered if eating or licking the dirt has any impact on a deers digestive system.I know that when a trophy rock is gone the deer will eat a hole in the ground.Sorry if this thread is getting to far away from Trad archery.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©