3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which mineral block?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which mineral block?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
For the last few years we have been keeping a trail camera out all year long. Here are a few pics I got back in June. Note on the right where the roots are exposed. I walked by today and that hole is about 2' deep. I usually put out one 50# mineral blocs right after hunting season and another in early spring. I've been doing this for almost 20 years. It has become a major crossroads on my property. Here are a few of the visitors...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I checked the trophy rock yesterday. There's a worn path to it now and it's licked glossy glass smooth on top. It has only been out for about three weeks..
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
For the last several years I have been mixing the following with great results:

2 parts trace mineral
2 parts white salt
1 part dicalcium phosphate

You can buy the ingredients in 50 lb. bags for about $40 total.  That will give you 150 lbs. which will last quite a while.  I have been mixing a 5 gallon bucket full and putting it in the same spot every year.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
I checked my trophy rock again and it is still licked glass smooth but noticeably smaller.  The ground around it is worn to bare dirt in spots. It's in a stand of Virginia pines and the pine needles and sticks are pushed aside.

It's been roughly a month and I'm not sure this one will last another 7 weeks until season start. The deer must be going crazy over it.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
I've had a Trophy Rock out for almost a month and they've licked it down to about half it's size.  It's the first time I've tried it and they seem to really like it.  TRW

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
I pick up bags of each ingredient from my local Southern States Coop and mix my own.  It works great and is cheaper.  Basically I dig a shallow hole, pour a good quanity in the center and taper the rest outward to the edges.  After mixing the soil and salts/tracemineral/dical with a heavy garden rake I'm good to go.  A lot of guys around here like to sweeten the mix with dry molasses . . . they claim that it gets the deer on the licks sooner.
Gary Logsdon

Offline deadmule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Another vote for Trophy rock. The deer will have it gone in less than 2 weeks.
Retired Police Officer
US Army 81-89
Dead Mule Bowhunters
------------------------------
HH "Wesley Special" 62#@27
Mahaska LB 74#@28 "Corn Woman"

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
A note to Iowa hunters, my game warden friend says that even though the Trophy Rock and other mineral blocks are sold in Iowa, they are not legal here. Game wardens will accuse you of baiting if they are anywhere near where you are hunting.  Personally, if they were to be used as vitamin and mineral supplement for the deer, i would use them for the deers health if I had my own land.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©