3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crown Dipping Carbon shafts  (Read 207 times)

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
Crown Dipping Carbon shafts
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
At the suggestion of several of my Tradgang buddies I decided to try "crown dipping" arrows using Krylon spray.  I first tried it out on a GT 5575 and got excellent results.  I then tried it on half dozen new CE 150's and the paint does not want to stick.  In both cases I cleaned the shafts using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.  I then did my best to remove the paint and then did some light sanding with 220 grit paper.  When I sprayed the shafts the second time I had the same problem.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix?  I am all ears!  It must be that "Buff Tuff" finish.

Offline gto_guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crown Dipping Carbon shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Wish I had some I could experiment with for you.I would clean with lacquer thinner and then try a paint adhesion promoter such as "Bulldog".It comes in a spray can and you can get at most auto parts stores.Then paint over the adhesion promoter.If that doesn`t work then I`m at a loss.
62" Checkate Hunter II 43lbs at 28
64" Dry Ridge longbow 58lbs at 28
62" Vermillion River longbow 57lbs at 30
58" Lost Creek Life Ender 50lbs at 28

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
I appreciate the suggestion.  I will give it a try and see if makes the difference.

Offline gto_guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Let me know.I`d be interested to see if it does the job.Good Luck!
62" Checkate Hunter II 43lbs at 28
64" Dry Ridge longbow 58lbs at 28
62" Vermillion River longbow 57lbs at 30
58" Lost Creek Life Ender 50lbs at 28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that the best and easiest way to "crown dip" a carbom arrow is to use wraps.  So many good reasons, so few bad reasons.
CHuckC

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Chuck, if I can't make this work I may just join you in that conclusion!  I am not quite ready to throw in the towel just yet.  Thanks for the follow-up!

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:13:00 AM »
Dan,
  I used to Crown dip my arrows and loved doing so just cause it felt more like being custom made by me then just figured I would try the wraps to see what was so easy about them...I called Onestringer who is a sponser here and got 8 dozen of different colors for $18.00 to my door in 3 days...My dip tubes were put away and I saved lots of money not buying different paints,laquer, tubes etc.etc.etc...For what I got in 8 dozen didn't mount up to one can of laquer...If I don't like the color or it peels then I can remove with little effort..I have had arrows with wraps on them for 3 years now and not one single problem and they don't stink and leave me with a hang over after dipping....Sinse I got these from onestringer they haven't even raised their price on the solid colors...Just think you can wrap 12 dozen arrows for $18.00...How many arrows can be dipped with a can of laquer for that same price? Onestringer has others for a higher price and they will do custom wraps also...If you go to their website they even have a sizing chart so your wraps will go around the shaft you are using and if you need help figuring the chart out then just call them and they will help you... God Bless, Keefer's <><

Offline Patrick55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Dan,
Carbon Express uses a release agent on the Heritage shafts that cannot be removed with lacquer thinner acetone or alcohol. Not completely anyway. Believe it or not just plain dishwashing soap and warm water works real well. Not sure if this will fix your problem but worth a try.
Hope this helps,
Pat
Experience is a wonderful thing. It teaches to recognize a mistake when you do it again.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
On my aluminums & carbons I sand the area I intend to paint with 1000 grit paper, don't need a lot just a little to get the surface scuffed up & to knock off the over coat that many companies use.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
With carbons I have to agree 100% with Keefer on this one!

Offline Dan in KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Agree with the above input.  Wraps are the way to go on carbons.  Easy to apply, durable, and painless to strip and re-fletch when the time comes.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I've sprayed and dipped CX shafts with Buff Tuff (Heritage and Terminator Hunter selects)with great results. At one time CX said to use MEK for prepping shafts and that is what I use.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I am just getting back on this evening and wow, I really appreciate all the input.

Tree Rat, you mentioned MEK.  What is that and where can I find it?  Thanks!

I will also give the warm soapy water a try tomorrow morning as suggested by Patrick.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Paint stores, maybe good hardwares still. Potent stuff, buy gloves.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Thanks Tree Rat for the response.  I had never heard of the stuff!  Patrick55 had suggested warm water and soap and with a scotch guard scrubber it worked great!

Thanks again for all the help!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©