3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about your broadhead tips bending/breaking  (Read 459 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about your broadhead tips bending/breaking
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
As the title implies, tell me about your broadhead tips that have bent or broken.  

Did it happen as a result of hitting bone, a rock on a pass through, or just plain dumb luck?

Did you recover the animal, and how was the damage and blood trail?

Have you noticed a substantial difference between a needle point and a tanto tip?

I'm interested in hearing some first hand accounts so please share.

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about your broadhead tips bending/breaking
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Yes, I have noticed a difference between the Tanto tip, or chisle tip, and the regular tapered, or needle-nosed tip. On bone, the Tanto tip is far superior.

During my testing, I found that .040" thick blades didn't hold up to 30º impact angles, and bent. Broadheads like the Bear Razorhead and Magnus Stinger not only bent about 10º on impact at 30º with an elk scapula, but also blew up the shaft, so there was near zero penetration.

I only shoot .070" or .080" thick blades, like the German Kinetics Silver Flame or the SteelForce Phatheads.

I got a pass through at 25 yds on a cow elk with a 210-gr Silver Flame last year and couldn't be more pleased with the Broadhead performance. She dropped in sight of the treestand.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
The only tips I have bent were on snuffers. The first was a bad shot on a jumpy deer that hit bone. Took a finishing shot after a very long track job. First shot hit bone and curled. The second shot passed thru and curled. Few days later I took a quarted away shot on a doe that hit the opposite side shoulder. Blood trail could be seen from space. Tip was curled and a bit bent. I like a slight tanto on my broadheads now. I've shot a bunch of squirrels straight down out of a stand and haven't bent a tanto.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
I used to bend razorheads until I put a tanto on them. I shot a buck @ 27 yards, blew through him and hit a T post behind him with a tanto tip razorhead 2 years ago. You couldn't tell anything was different after I washed the blood off.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Only broadhead I have broken was a magnus stinger which I stuck in my fence(missed a coon). It was fine until I tried to pull it out of the fence using a Leatherman tool, then I ended up torquing the blade and snapping it.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I haven't had any damage from animals.  Granted, our Arkansas whitetails bear little resemblance to water buffalo or elephant.  I have bent a couple when I dead center a rock in practice.  Zero damage from animals though with Bears, Eclipses, and Ace Standards.
Silence is golden.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I've never bent the tip of a STOS broadhead. It's the strongest broadhead I've ever bowhunted with.

I'm trying a Muzzy broadhead this year.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
After my 160grain Snuffer took the head off a grouse, it kept going for some reason into a vertical slab of basalt just behind the bird. At 10 feet it was going pretty fast and I had to re-sharpen the point... a lot. It was pretty messed up.

(shot out of a Howatt Hunter, 60#'s @ 30"

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I would but I can't since I have never bent one. I shoot Magnus I's, Zwickeys, and have never had one bend on an animal or in practice. And I just started putting the tanto tip on them a couple year ago. So the needle tip has worked for me for 30 years.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
Get some Stos broadheads and you won't have to worry about the tip bending.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I have mostly shot Zwickeys for the past 50 plus years.  I don't shoot rocks etc. and the largest game I've every shot was a 290 pound mulie---although lots of smaller sized deer.  Never bent a single tip.  Shot a few Bear heads back in the late 50's and early 60's--never bent them either.

My primary bow is a 57# BW MAII built in 1992---zips an arrow right along.  In years past i have used mostly 60-65 pound bows but at age 70, I am lightening up a little, but still particular about what I shoot.

Joe

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Yes sir I've bent a few bear razorheads on critters thats all I've ever used and I still shoot them today.
Yes again mostly I've had them bend and or break on bone with a shot that may have NOT been the best shot to take(I was a young bowhunting fool at the time and did'nt know any better).I know now if I get good shot placement with a razorhead things just work out much better for me bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
hey may we show pics of some that have and some that have not ? bd

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I recall bending the tip of a Zwickey Eskimo when it connected with a rock, but I have confidence in the head if I could only hit where I want.
Lon Scott

Offline bob roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
i shoot zwickey and magnus primarily.  never bent a tip or broken one on deer/hogs/or elk.  but have broke a couple when i hit rocks.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
hey may we show pics of some that have and some that have not ? bd
Please do.

I'm finding this thread interesting. Personally, I've bent a Magnus 1, but I can easily get them sharp so it's a trade off I'm willing to take. The Stingers seem to be a bit stronger up front, but sometimes the back end near the vent will break.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
ok here is a have..if the pic is to much for anyone I'll be happy to remove it but please remember its all part of the game of archery  bd        

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
In the '60's we used to chisel the points on our bear Razorheads,like Fred recommended.Somewhere along the way,I stopped doing that as it became impossible to spin the arrow on the tip to check for broadhead alignment,which I liked to do after any shot at game.

Later,using 125 gr Magnus heads,I took a quartering shot on an antelope,the tip curled,causing the broadshead to skip across the ribs,under the shoulder instead of through them.Penetration was horrible,out of a 50# bow.

I was very lucky and this was the only place where antelope went on the entire ranch,that had some stalking cover.I was able to get a second arrow in it,about an hour later.I'm convinced that animal would have survived that shot but that incident has stuck with me and will forever.A situation like that could have gone a hundred different ways,most,not good.

These days,I either use heads with tanto tips or I would apply it myself.I kick myself for not having done it on the Magnus.looking through my stuff,I found a couple more that curled like that but not on game.The tanto tip would have stopped that.

I had a Bear Razorhead's bleeder blade twist and mangle the slot in the head.They were supposed to break away and allow the head to penetrate.I have never had on sheer off.I can't remember what was shot with that head.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
the pics show heads used 4 weeks ago on black bear the upper pics are from a spine shot and oh yeah down she went right there game over.The head worked great but you can see that one has danced the dance.....because it was packing a 780 arrow shaft.I was thinking something like for every action there is a reaction and the reaction blew that ferrule apart.Direct contact with solid bone well you get the idea.And no thats not my broadhead.
This pic is my broadhead used on a black bear hit in the kill zone.Right side with its right front leg reaching as far forward as possible when shot.I'am not saying anything bad about anyone's broadheads no way.I really like them all but I beleave more in shot placement with a sharp broadhead bd        

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
That's something.I was just editing my post to add the Razorhead picture,as you posted yours BD.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©