3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Instinctive v. Sight Shooting Question  (Read 110 times)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Instinctive v. Sight Shooting Question
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
My best friend and hunting partner is very much wanting to try traditional archery.  She currently shoots 40 to 45 lbs. comfortably with a compound, using LH since she is left eye dominant (very poor sight in right eye) and had chronic shoulder issues (volleyball) when young.  She has over a decade of big game experience under her belt, and has killed about 10 deer, including four last year.

She has shot my longbows rarely, and they are RH, exhibits good form when doing so.  And she has very good form when shooting LH normally.

Anyway, she's a "thinker" on everything, and wondered aloud if she'd be better off when she tries to makes this switch in starting to shoot a stick RHed since she does everything else RHed?  One bow dealer told her the instinctive shooting is more related to other "natural" things (like throwing a ball RHed, writing RHed, etc.) than eye is dominant.  I'm not so sure.

Based on her years of shooting wheels LHed, it would seem to me to be counterproductive to switch over to RHed AND traditional at the same time.  "Too many variables at once" kind of thing.  

Or can she shoot wheels LHed, and a stick RHed and keep those two different styles separate that way?  

What say you all?  Any of you dealt with this issue?  How important is the relationship between string hand and eye dominance when shooting instinctively?  If it were your friend, what would you advise?
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Instinctive v. Sight Shooting Question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
If she is left eye dominant I'd stick with it,she should feel more confident shooting a left handed bow.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©