3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a selfbow, no strings attached  (Read 204 times)

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
a selfbow, no strings attached
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
a friend of mine recently was given an osage selfbow without a sting.  He sent it to me asking to make him one.  not a problem, I thought but the bow is 48" tip to tip.  My calculations suggest the need for a 28" string.  Does this sound about right?

I wasn't able to make a sting that short on my current jig, but I tried to string it up with a string tied with a bowyers knot for the bottom loop.  With just the slightest pressure on the limbs with a bowstringer, I could hear a clicking or cracking sound.  There does not appear to be any damage to the bow but I'm concerned about stringing it, let alone drawing the bow for fear of damage.  

The bow seems really short to me when comparing to my osage and hickory selfbows both of which are about 60".  

any input re whether this short a bow is sound and if not are there any ways of salvaging the bow such as sinew backing?

Thanks for your input.

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a selfbow, no strings attached
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
I measure nock to nock and then make a string  3" shorter then the ntn length.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
A 28 inch string seems awfully short,at 48 inches it would seem to want a 44-45 inch string.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
What Grinch said.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »
noise=not so good
Sorry   "[dntthnk]"
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
If you ever hear a selfbow make a "tink" sound when you bend the limbs it has developed a crack somewhere. It might be hard to find but it is a sure thing it has one.

When my last osage bow "tinked" it took me three days to find the crack but find it I did.

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
That is a terrible sound.  But, 48" osage, find that crack.  Then you can evaluate it, super glue it, and sinew the back and do a sinew wrap in a few stratigic places and you have an awsome pony bow.
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Use a 45" string and  brace it.  Get a cotton ball and rub it in all directions until you find the splinter.  It's there somewhere.  I would not draw a 48" bow more than 22".  Pics and specs would help.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arrowflipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
What John said,when you string it a cotton ball will find almost every time.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Yeah, Native Americans used bows that short, but they only drew to the chest, not the full draw we use today. 28" is way too short. How did you come up with that measurement?

You probably need a 45" string, and you can twist one without a jig. Just add 16" to the 45" you need for the string, and drive two nails into a wall at that distance. That becomes your bundle length, and go from there.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Is this a sinewed backed or unbacked bow?  Art

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I did this calculation for string length based on instructions in T.J Conrad's book.  I don't have the book handy right now but I believe the formula was (bow length+9)/2 + 1/2".  however, as I reviewed answers on this post and reread the book, I think this calculation was for the particular string jig, not overall string lenght.  Thanks for setting me straight.  

Art, it is an unbacked bow.   I was wondering if sinew backing may make the bow more durable and possibly increase safe drawlength.  I was aware that Native horsebows were often quite short and often sinew backed but wasn't aware of the difference in drawing to the chest.  

I will examine the bow carefully. I anticipated that this wouldn't be good news re the sound.  I may have to inquire re the bow hospital as well. As I mentioned however, the bow doesn't belong to me.  A friend just sent it to me to make him a string.  This is his first traditional bow.  

Thanks for the replies.

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I've made a few 48" sinew backed osage bows and have pushed it and have had them pull back to 26".  The diff. is if I broke it, I would just make another.

A good rule of thumb, your draw will be half of the length of the bow as stated on an above post.

Once you find that crack, it will give you some answers.

The horsebows were not only short but pretty darn heavy.  The short draw would send and arrow right through a buffalo, granite they were right on top of the critter.

Here is a pic of a 48" bow pulled to 26".  It was 48lbs at 26".

I wonder where this bow is.  I donated it to the St. Judes Auction many years ago.  Hope it's still shooting, I would like to know.

Here is a pic of a 47" pulled to 24".  It is weighing in at 65lbs at 24", a bit heavier.

It can draw further, but I can't.

Good Luck,

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©