3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Bowfishing Reel ????  (Read 378 times)

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
What Bowfishing Reel ????
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
I'm looking to upgrade to a reel.I have been using a hand wrap reel for a long time.

Looking at the AMS or Muzzy Spincast.

Any imput please.

Thanks
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Bowfishing Reel ????
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
I REALLY like my AMS Pro.  Never used the Muzzy, but I can get off 3 or 4 shots with the AMS for every one I managed with my hand wrap style.  Arrow flight is very good, as well. I have really enjoyed how it has improved bowfishing for me...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Ilike the ams,good dependable reel.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
AMS! it is the best reel period.
James Kerr

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
Muzzy Pro for me. Spooled up with 200# fastflight, tied directly to the back of the arrow.

I used an AMS for ages & never liked it. You can't fight a fish with it, they're really sensitive, they constantly need adjustment, you have to use the slides to be safe, the line falls out unles you constantly keep pressure on the trigger & the retrieve rate is very slow.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
AMS Retriever versus spincast is the bowfishing world's version of recurve versus longbow, two-blade versus three-blade heads, or split finger versus three-under; there generally is no right or wrong answer. They both work very well, and each has certain strengths and weaknesses. I've used both, but prefer the AMS. I have friends that have also used both and prefer spincast reels.

With an AMS you can generally use heavier line, there is zero drag on the shot, and with a slotted retriever you can tie the end to a float for larger fish sich as aligator gar or stingrays. The spincast gives you the advantage of faster retrieval, better control when fighting fish, and they can be swapped out quickly in the event of damage. Sheakspear Synergy reels are also a lot less expensive than AMS Retrievers.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
I like the AMS with 400# line and a good pair of leather gloves , never had a single issue with one and we dont treat em very well. The pics are from a few years ago before our now one gator gar a day a man limit.,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
Well, we have both: the AMS Retriever reel and a Zebco 808 spincast. After putting Power Pro braided Spectra line on the Zebco, I gotta say I'm likin' it the best. Main reason being, it's quicker at retrieving the arrow after missed shots and also better for retrieving fish. And since I've been using the braided Power Pro line, I find that it absolutely zooms out of my Zebco.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
i had a zebco 808 but i sold it because i forgot to press the button too many times. 3 arrows i lost!

i just use a 6" hand line on a bracket i made.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Ford/Chevy when it comes down to it for the choice between AMS and Zebco 808. I prefer the 808 with 200 FF string but I shoot with guys who like the AMS.  808 has gear ratio retrieve meaning it is faster - AMS is free spooling so some feel the arrow flys better.  If you spray silicone into the spool of your 808 before you go out each time the line will fly off the reel as quick as the AMS and I am sure it is good for the reel and line because it is getting soaked all day.  Down side of the 808 is the push button which I prefer but other can't stand.
If you choose the 808(or similar) make sure you go with FF or some variation of non-stretch string so that in the event you do forget to push the button the string breaks instead of bouncing back.  I suggest no stretch string for any bow fishing for this reason.  On any rig the string can get caught up on the bow, your finger, brush, etc...  An arrow coming back at you is not a good thing.  Better to loose an arrow than an eye or worse.

Big up side to the AMS is if you are getting into really BIG fish like gator gars and rays you can get the one that allows you to attach a float.  Not really an option with the 808.

Another inexpensive option to the traditional hand reel I have employed with good results is if you are fishing from a boat take a large plastic bowl and scew it down to the boat platform and just loosly spool the line into the bowl.  Make sure you have 20yrds or so of line and tie it directly to the boat.  This way you do not need a reel at all and the line flys right out there - just hand real it back into the bowl.  This method can be attached to a float jug as well for the biguns!

Bob Urban

Offline snakebite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I love my AMS, but I have friends that use the Zebco 808. Like Bobby said. Ford/Chevy...

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
AMS for me never had a minutes trouble with it and never made any adjustments . very solid reel system . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
AMS for me never had a minutes trouble with it and never made any adjustments . very solid reel system . Drew
X2
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Stoutstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
I bought the AMS Pro. The reel has a notch for a line keeper on it that is nice. I can reel carp in with it. Easy to take off and clean up. Very user friendly. Don't have any personal experience with other reels though. Bowfishing partner uses the Zebco with spectra and does just fine, as long as he doesn't forget to hit the button.

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I think i will have to give the AMS a try.
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I like and use both, when shooting a numbers tourney out of my airboat I like a spinner because im driving and the spinner gets in faster. when i guide i like for my clients to use my ams because there is less worry about forgetting to hit the button and they are really simple. ams will hold up and last a lot longer than a spinner. I have ams that have hauled in thousands of fish over several years where i am on my 6th spinner this year.

On spinners i like shakespear TI20's because they are cheap, have a bigger hole in the front and usually outlast the muzzy's for me. I bought 3 at gander mountain the other day for $13 each, and have landed gator gar to close to 200lbs with them. on the ams i usually use 200lb line even on big gator gar and like the pro because I can swap them back and forth between my 6 bowfishing bows fast and easy.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
I'm not so sure I would EVER attach my line to the back of a bowfishing arrow again. Lot of bad things happen. Had a spincast set-up for my boy early this year. Lots of missed fish and lost arrows, plus OOPS forgot to push the button or the button didn't engage. Since swapping to the ams, his hits are way up and NO lost arrows. Safety seems at a higher level too. Whatever you use, be safe and have fun!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Hae used all types over the years!

Not sure there is a perfect set up. I still enjoy using a hand style hoop style reel, when shootin, early spring, suckers in the creek!

That's what I did in the beginning!

Heck, I even made up a foam reel for my longbow that works just fine.

I thought this was trad

:D

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
Sam those are some nice gar,monsters.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks was after em all the time years ago but sold all my boats , now this came up and looking at my old pics gave me the bug.Think Im getting a new boat this week now,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©