3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Idaho Elk Hunt 2007 Now With Gear List  (Read 7104 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Idaho Elk Hunt 2007 Now With Gear List
« on: January 13, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Gangers,
anyone interested in joining me/ getting a trad gang elk hunt together this coming fall?  My stupendous home state of Idaho has OTC elk, mule deer, bear, antelope and mtn lion (although I have never seen a lion and don't have dogs...) for out of staters, and in state folks, well, heck, I'd love to meet you too!  Drop me a line, PM or email, and keep in touch over the course of the year, I'd love to share my camp with some other good folk who happen to shoot bent wood bows!    :archer:
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Idaho Elk Hunt 2007 Now With Gear List
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
otc out of state price would be about...500 for elk and license, + 260 for deer....rough numbers but close.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
What kind of dates are ya thinkin about ninja???
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
We are in the middle of finding out if any dates will be changing - to including the possiblity of some trad only hunts.
 Normally the middle to the end of September is the time to aim for.
 Elk Ninja- what zone are you thinking about?
Are you thinking a camp near a road; or back in?
 Tents/motorhomes er what?
Pencil Pencil Pencil/spray spray spray -- there might be some changes that Elk Ninja will want to take advantage of...  :campfire:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
Hey guys...we should invade the Krebs cabin near salmon...lol.  Im game.  If we cant work out an elk hunt, at least a late deet hunt, or maybe antelope in aug...
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »
Well I will start saving now. I have never hunted elk before and I would love to visit Idaho again. I only was in Boise for a weekend. Nut just driving home to California from Boise I saw 50 mule deer, several dozen pronghorn and 100s of elk. One magnificent Mule deer buck ran along side our truck for 30 yards or so. I promised myself I would come back and hunt it if I ever got the chance.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
Love to come but it's a long way to swim!....lol One day...........
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Ah heck Aussie, you don't have to swim anymore they have big shiny airplanes now that take ya anywhere ya want to go.

Just have to save the sheckles for a little while and Poof you are there.

Mike

BTW what Unit do you hunt?
Mike Westvang

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
Iwould love to hunt elk, never done it but was in ID for lion a few years back and loved it:-)

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Elk Ninja,
I've have never been Elk hunting before.
I may be interested, I’d like to know more details, where, when, what type of gear I’ll need etc. Send me a PM, I’d like to hear more.

Thanks, Bob

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
I may be interested also, I've always been told that elk hunting Idaho is better than where I've hunted in Colorado.

My problem is that I won't be able to commit until August at the earleast becuase my job is project based and when theres a project I have to take advantage of it or I have no income. The good thing is I may be available any time in Sept. The bad is I may not be.

Bob, where are you in Michigan, I'm thinking car pool.  Hunting cloths and equipment you use for deer will work.   If you are less than 55 lbs with your bow you will have to be careful on what arrow you use.  Camping gear depends on whether it is backpack, horse or car camping.

I'll follow this post and see what happens.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
I'm interested just want to get more information as is becomes available. Always wanted to hunt Idaho!  Thanks, Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I'd car pool over with Ben and wander around Idaho. Make a plan and pick a date, let us know.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Fellers,
My usual plan, and penciled in plan for this fall is September 10-20th, (tail end is a bit better), up in the Sawtooth zone by Stanley.  I am usually by Horton peak, which is on the White CLoud Mountain side of things.  Not a heck of a lot of deer, but I do see antelope and elk every year.  So....in a nutshell, that's my penciled in hunt this year too, but that COULD change.  But this is my open invitation to share my camp.  If you are going to go to the Trad West Expo (I can hardly wait!), drop me a line and we'll meet up there.
If not, just continue to keep me posted as another year flies by!
CAMP NOTES:  Easy road access for RVs if you want 'em, but I usually stay light and able to move camp by car or foot (backpack hunting) if the hunting is bad. Last year there were two other camps by me, never saw the other hunters, there's a lot of room to roam!  
Any other questions?
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Ok how about this:  Those of us from Idaho who THINK we know what we are doing will meet at the trad expo, make a plan and then let yall know dates equip needs etc.  We can develop a plan by March 10th I would assume.
As a general rule, the last 1/2 of September is best,  You can fly into Boise easily and great elk hunting is less than 2.5hrs drive from here.
Equipment wise:  I have been snowed on Sept 1st (relatively rare), and it normally is quite warm during the day.  Your typical hunting clothes will work, if you layer well and avoid cotton.  You will need to be in fairly good shape, the areas we hunt up there vary from rolling valleys to ugly steep, between 6000-8000 feet.  Ninja can correct me if Im wrong on that, we hunt different parts of the unit.  As for gear, a decent longbow in the 50-60# range, with 500+ grn arrows will work fine.  A buddy of min had a complete pass thru on a nice bull @ 18 yards, using a bear montana 60# bow w/ approx 550grn Legacys.  
There are tons of grouse and some snowshoe hares as well, so bring a judo or two.

I would suggest getting three tags: Elk, Deer and Bear.  There are areas around that have deer in the unit, and you may come across  nice buck, there are literally bear everywhere, sometimes in camp, spot and stalk is a real possibility, and this way you could maximise your time.  Any questions drop us a line...
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself greenhed!  Last several years I've been snowed on at least one night, but generally it's not that cold, just barely cold enough to snow.  Wool is best, and make sure you bring good Binos and a spotting scope if you have one!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Last Arrow,
I live in Fruitport. I was thinking about the possibility of car pooling also. If you want, send me a PM. I’ll send you one later.
Bob

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
it would be nice to drop this zone thing for archery that way we could hunt anywhere in the state with family and friends.Brian I am unaware of any trad only hunts in our area even though 28 would and could be nice.Trad gang hunt would be fun. Keep us posted

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
I would be all over this except I have already committed to a bear hunt in Ontario till the 15th.  I will be watching this thread closely in case something comes together a little later.

Rick

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Does "OTC" mean that or do we have to send in in advance? Got a state conservation web site for us to check out? Elk,deer & bear tags cost for non res? Just checked - nothing on my calendar yet for the middle of Sept.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©