3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Idaho Elk Hunt 2007 Now With Gear List  (Read 6691 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Idaho Elk Hunt 2007 Now With Gear List
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
I have often wondered about elk hunting in your beautiful state. You hear about the devastation from predation by wolves. You obviously are hunting an area that they have not done their damage in.  
I like to go back in and be mobile also. No roads or ATVs.  It is hard enough to get find animals and get close enough for a shot without these distractions and competition.
I will be at the Traditional Expo in Boise. Let me know if you guys are going to get together and talk things over.  Any Grizzly up where you hunt?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Sounds good I was coming out to Idaho anyway I will keep and eye on this one.

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I am going to keep an eye on this. May not be able this year but if it goes on to other years may really be interested. Keep the info coming as it comes in.

thanks
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
"Hey guys...we should invade the Krebs cabin near salmon...lol. Im game. If we cant work out an elk hunt, at least a late deet hunt,"

Greenhed: 'deet' season ends in July when the skeeters all die of thirst.   :)

Last year I hunted at about 7000 feet; and then it snowed... and the elk were down at the cabin .... you have to plan for cold and hot weather! And if you start walking in cold weather- you will want some gear that keeps you from overheating.

Yep: there are wolves - and yep it effects the hunting. This December the elk were bedded in tight groups on open knobs - where they could see any wolf or hunter within a half mile or more.

But last year they were bugling!!

The seasons are being re-considered; and although there always has been a September 15-30th hunt for elk- I am not sure what the regs are going to look like. We should know within a couple weeks.

Right now as I type; the elk are staying up high where I assume they feel they have the advantage over the wolves- as it is 6 degrees out and went to -16 last night. You would think the windchill would keep them down lower where they normally are this time of year.
 The deer are scattered all over and visit each night for any alfalfa left over for the pack animals- not much difference in their behavior.
 Wolves do make an impact - the governor is working on that....
 Like I say- we have the possiblity of some new seasons coming up; the rules on compound let-off and arrow weight have changed; and the promise was if that happened : they would shorten seasons.
 There are things in the wind...
And where I hunt- yes there are grizzlies- and rumors of grizzlies. They are most often here in the fall up high - after the cold sets in for winter ( they eat a certain spruce cone or they do not reproduce.. that is mainly found up as far as trees grow).
  This should be fun.... Dan remember to bring a gas can full of gas  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
I will be in Oreana, Idaho in late August. My dad will be riding his horse in the National Championship Endurance ride. We have been thinking about elk hunting in the first two weeks of September in we could get some info on it.
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Shaun, check out  http://fishandgame.idaho.gov  and it will have a link to where you can purchase tags and licenses on line...as far as wolves go, yup, there are some out there (too many, but I would/ do like to have some, but that's another debate entirely), but I think an equal amount of the blame for the somewhat decreased elk herds/ change in thier patterns goes to the increase in ATVs (up more than 80% in the last four years!), an increase in the # of diesel trucks and the overuse of calling...although I did have them bugling this year you don't hear them much during the day anymore.  This could really be fun, we may end up with 2 or 3 trad camps across Idaho!  We are still early in the year (only eight months left to practice your shot, are YOU ready?), but as the season approaches, feel free to drop me a line even if you are passing through...I'll try to keep up with my scouting/ backpacking this year!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks Mike, I will follow the site and look for the 2007 regs when they post. Will get back to you when it gets closer.

Offline Steven Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I'll throw my name in as a possible as well.  It would be fun to get to meet and hunt with you all.

Steve

Offline elktooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Feel free to congregate around the Idaho Traditional Bowhunters booth at the Expo for your planning needs.  We will be located right next to the shooting lanes.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
I am really interested in this... the planning (my wife calls it scheming) wheels in my brain are already in motion. If anybody is interested in my area and wants to carpool, let me know.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Ninja,

I used to live in Boise.  Still have a home there.  I've hunted around Stanley and know the White Clouds.  

Heck, just sitting around looking at the scenery would be worth the trip.

The head waters of the Salmon River is one of my favorite places on Earth.

Wapitidung

I may take you up on your offer.
Apprentice - GoodWill Industries ProStaff

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Brad
       I have told Mike I am going for sure..but the time spent driving will take away from my hunting time I thought of flying..if anyone is interested in doing that an going in on a rental car let me know...
       I live about 40 miles north of St louis in Winfield Mo..it would take 25 to 30 hours to drive..what do you think...
                          Scott Langston

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Scott,
I traded e-mail with Mike yesterday and am going to plan on going on this trip. I will be flying in and would be glad to split rental car fees.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Scott,

I drove this past year and flew the 2 years prior.  "Only" took me 34 hours from NJ and should be quite a bit less than 25-30 for you.  Flying is fine unless you plan on killing an elk and getting it home, which will cost you a small fortune.  The drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be if you can hook up with someone to share the boredom with!  We brought 2 elk back with us this year and it saved us the cost of 3 round trip tickets by not having to ship the meat.  It's a great trip and everyone should find time in their schedule to try it, especially since you've got some local talent willing to help you out with an area to hunt.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Guys,  

I had two gents from Austria come out last year and we hunted the Stanley basin the last week of September.  Our party saw elk,  deer, wolf, and bear.  The weather was too good,  no snow, and the elk hunting was slow with very little bugling.  There were forest fires in the area which condensed the game and mixed things up a bit.  Be prepared for any type of weather and be flexible enough to move around should the hunting be slow.  And bring fishing gear...the trout fishing is awesome.  This is one of my 'favorite places'.

Offline RLG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
If anyone wants to hunt Northern Idaho let me know I will be taking off the last two weeks of Sept, Unless there is a big change in the regs. I hunt units 4,5 and 6. There are Elk, Deer and Bear the wolfs are here but not as bad as central and southern Idaho. I have had good luck with elk the last few year. You will have to be in good to great shape.
RLG

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
eric pm...

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
njstykbow
          everyday driving will cut a day off hunting i can only take off 5 or 6 working days so that leaves me 10 days to hunt...if I get an elk I will give the meat to someone that needs it..I love elk meat but my freezer is full..flew 432 lbs of moose meat back from Newfoundland for 52 cents a pound..as cargo..

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
stickbow,

I struggled with the same time dilema myself. I was actually making myself sick dreading the drive, but it wasn't that bad once I got started. There are a LOT of gated roads there which are perfect for a mountain bike.  The hours of walking the bike saved me allowed me to access the country more effectively in the time I had to hunt.  Just food for thought.

Offline huntinoly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
Elk ninja, I would be interested in hunting with you guys. I have been hunting elk in Washington state and I am looking for a new place to go. Let me know any details. Greg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©