3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Idaho Elk Hunt 2007 Now With Gear List  (Read 6692 times)

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Idaho Elk Hunt 2007 Now With Gear List
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Chuck you are right on the way.  heck that little will be a month old by then and you will need a brake from all the diapers, snot rags and such... twist, twist can you feel your arm bending yet?
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
It wouldn't take much if I had the time off available, was in shape, and had the money.  :)   I slacked off on my workout when we found out the due date was the same as my planned trip out west.  Maybe next year.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Gear List 2007

HYGENE
TP (or shop towels)
Baby wipes (scent free)
Contact Lens Fluid
Contact Lens Case
Extra Pair Contact Lens
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Soap (scent free)
Wash Cloth
Allergy Med
Sunscreen
Bug Dope

EVENTUALS KIT
Duct Tape
Mole skin
Ibuprofen (Aleve)
Antihistamine Tablets
Super Glue (Gel)
Neosporin
Gauze Pads
Chap Stick (also rubs onto BH to prevent    rust)
Tweezers (In small Swiss Army)
Signal / lightweight unbreakable mirror is nice to have Extra shot in string
Extra nock X 2
Extra nock point
Extra fletch with tape applied X 2
6’ serving
Few rubber bands (lashing and string silencer)
Few zip-ties
Lighter # 1

**1st Aid and Repair kit together in a stuff sack = “Eventuals Kit”

FOOD
Vitamins X 1 per day
Emer-gen-C drink mix X 1-2 per day
Water purifying pills
Breakfast
•   Prepackaged granola with powdered milk X 1 per day
•   Instant coffee
Lunch
•   Trail mix
•   Peanut butter Jelly sandwiches in Tupperware X 1-2 per day
•   Jolly Ranchers
Dinner
•   Freeze Dried vs. MREs????

Fire Kit
Cotton Balls
Ferro Rod
   (balls and rod jammed together in waterproof    match case, nice kit)
Matches
Lighter # 2
Cotton Balls

GEAR
Bow  
Quiver
Arrows (6 BH +1 blunt)
Glove or Tab
Arm Guard
Knives
•   Main
•   Caper/ Camp
•   Multi tool
•   Small Swiss Army*
•   Knife and Broadhead sharpener
Hat (with brim, baseball or fedora)
Hat (warm, stocking or?)
Jacket
Shirt X 3 layers (long johns, camo shirt,         wool or micro fleece outer wear)
Pants X 2 layers (long johns, microfleece or    wool outer wear)
Hiking clothes
•   Shorts
•   T-shirt
•   Separate socks
•   Separate undies
Boots BROKEN IN!!!
Camp shoes
•   Sandals or runners
Socks (NO COTTON) 1 per day
Stalking Socks (heavy and dark) X 1
Undies X 3 per week
Belt and or Suspenders
Tent or Bivy Sack & Tarp
Sleeping pad
Sleeping Bag
Headlamp
Camera (plus 2 extra battery that also works    for flashlight)
Tripod (optional, small is OK)
Stove
Fuel for stove
Pot
Cup (both eating and cooking)
Spoon / “Spork”
Cork or Face camo
Rope (550 is good)
Windicator
License, Tags and DL
Map(s)
Compass X 2 (main and pin on button)
GPS
2 extra AAA batteries (headlamp and GPS)
Alarm watch
Matches
Hand warmers X 2 (optional if not cold)
Trail Flagging (or use TP)
Bandana
Pen and Pencil
Journal (or use map)
Brush Clippers or Trail Saw
Game Bags (lightweight for backcountry,    cheesecloth is good)
Gloves (hunting & warm, if both, good, if    not, bring two pair)
Camel Back in pack or 2-3 water bottles
Flashlight (with blood tracker filter if    possible)
Game Calls (I use diaphragm)
Binoculars (I like 10x42 for backcountry,    8x36 for brushy areas)
Spotting Scope (if you want it)
Space Blanket
Whistle

NOTES
In pocket is compass, rope (15’ 550 cord), maps, windicator, lighter (also works as a windicator), whistle, brush clippers, Jolly ranchers and (in a waterproof match case) cotton balls and “Scout Sparker” for emergency fires.  Button compass is clipped onto shirt or jacket and checked periodically to maintain bearing.  If I have to ditch my pack and/ or I get lost  or injured (never has happened, but someday it might) pockets will get me through a night or two, maybe three.  

Truck Kit
Off road Jack
Check Air Pressure (Check spare!)
Check Fluids
Tow Strap
Shovel
Hatchet/ Axe
Saw
Heavy rope
Extra Gas
Water
Food
CB
Phone
Tarp
Tent
Target
Extra TP
Big 1st Aid
Coolers
Chairs
Spot Light
Lantern
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
First off, sorry about lost and or late/ no reply PMs, I have been super swamped with life in general.  Here is MY gear list... yours might be different.  Looks like a lot, just remember, less is more, if a peice does double duty, than it's OK, if it only has one use, you better think twice about bringing it.  I am a bit extravagant on knives, everything else is thinned out pretty good.  
As far as MY plan, here it is:
"Sawtooth Zone" elk.  September 13th-21st (I try real hard to time the rut and elk activity levels during the day, that is my prediction for this year based on weather, moon, and my history).  I am backpacking into a remote area for a few days.  Burned pretty god three years ago but still has a lot of thick cover and lots of water.  Good combo for numbers and size, as well as spotting ability.  It looks like we have somewhere between 2-5 people coming, my guess is 3.  I need to know what you want.  Since I am bivouacing at least part of the time, here is what I am thinking:  getting ya'll set up in a good area, maybe hunting one day with you, then backcountry, then back to the frontcountry.  UNLESS one (or more) of you who make it here want to go deep as well.  You don't have to to find good elk, but it can be fun.  
As this thing gets closer, I am becoming more and more and more excited,  this is going to be fun.  We will take lots of pictures to share with our friends who are less lucky than us.  
More to come,
Mike,
OUT
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
"bug dope & pot",  are we hunting or partying...   :jumper:

all kidding aside you got a long list here. we ain't supposed to pack all this gear in on our backs are we?   :confused:  i thinking i might need to rent a herd of llamas...
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
I AM a llama... or a yak.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
i hear ya!  sounds like this is shaping up to be one heck of a hunt... what back pack do you use?  i know you are not still using "Alice" are you?
>~Rob~>

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Nope, I am using my old, broken in Lowe Alpine internal frame.  Don't even know how many miles are on this thing, I am sure there are a lot of cars with less.  Going to be fun I tell ya, fun.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Mike,

How many miles and how much rough estimate elevation gain will we be packing in that much gear? Just need to know if I need to start doing two a day conditioning workouts!! Thanks, I look forward to the adventure. Regarding where and what, if I am on a mountain and can get near some elk I will be perfectly happy. That said, if you want company to go futher in the back country I would up for that too. I'm fine with whatever works best for the group.

Tim
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
2 a day?  I'm lucky to get 2 a week!

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
Ausable, The hike is only 1.5 miles, roadside to lakeside, but that includes 2,000 or so of elevation gain (1,200 up, 800 down).  Thats steep by just about anyone's measurement.  Therefor, it is a rarely used or visited area.  Ther is a long way in with only 1000 feet of elevation gained, but the hike is 10 miles, much of it through a recent burn... also not used much.  When I scout my areas, I first look at maps or have a general area (such as a game unit or a national forest.)  Then I look at my guide books and compare what is in them.  There is usually an area with one or (preferably) no guide book descriptions.  Thats the starting point for me.  Lots of map work then, examining the whole area for small springs, seasonal creeks, north facing timber and meadows.  Not to get you excited fellas, but I was talking to a forest ranger for the area, picking her brain.  She has seen LOTS of elk in the area.  But will they be there in September?  Dang I hope so!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I just bought my license and tag. Now I can't wait!
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

I was trying to find some maps of the fire boundry from a couple years ago, found these pictures instead.  If you can imagine that mule with a big ol' 6-point-a-side rack on top, thats what we are hoping for.  This basin is real close to Horton peak.  I might backpack into this area for a day or two.  On the map, it is the Champion lakes basin on the lower left corner.
MAN I CAN"T WAIT!  Scouting in a couple weeks.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »
hey! that's not a mule; its a donkey  :)  I have its twin  :)   and a couple more.
 I have one person coming out to do my scouting for me........er....er...  to hunt where I do  :)  
 One thing that is going on is the fire season; check to see where the fires are ( can't remember the link) and be prepared to do the boot scootin boogie- because these fires that are burning can move really fast.
 There is a burn ban on; you can use a stove; but no camp fires; bring a woodstove if you have one; because it could get really cold and fires will be allowed; but that MIGHT NOT happen- so be prepared to use a camp stove only.
  Right now as I type; my area is smokey; but there are no fires close to me; I am not sure about the stanley area!!
  IF you have a tag and the fires stop the hunt ( its happened before) you can get a refund; but ussually only before the season starts. In my area ( Salmon zone) the elk season starts in part on August first- but most areas its August 30th.
 IF the area you plan to hunt is closed due to fire- be prepared to either change zone tags; or to come another year.. and so be ready to talk tag refund.
 Keep a watch on where the fires are; and be prepared to change your plans.
 If that involves me; I know of a lot of good areas here.
 I am going to look up the link to the fires; and post it here. Fires can be bad; but it can move elk to where you hunt; and can distract them to where they come to a call easier - so don't get upset; just be aware that this is a fire season; and you may have to adjust.
  Don't forget that you buy a hunting license and a tag; and the hunting license will allow you to shoot forest grouse (4 a day). I suggest rubber blunts; as there always seems to be a rock involved. Fresh meat from grouse is a welcome treat while your hunting  :)  Don't think your up against wiley birds- these grouse are called 'fool hens' for a reason  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2007, 02:14:00 AM »
here is the link.....

http://www.nifc.gov/fire_info/nfn.htm

I think its the law to have a shovel and a bucket with you when in the forest. I have never seen it enforced; but its a good idea. Last year the fires got put out the second week of September by snow; that was gone in a few days.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©