3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Home Range Change For Hunting Prep - pics/vids hvy - added more pics 10/06  (Read 2371 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Over the years, many of our members have seen pics of my home range, and of friends and me making use of it, or doing modifications to it. Many of those pics have featured, or included, images of my shooting tower. Particularly as summer and 3D shoots start tapering off, I do more and more shooting from that tower, in prep for deer hunting season.

Last year one member mentioned that my tower looked, "like an accident waiting to happen." I assured him it was a lot sturdier than it looked, with all posts seated in cement, a large percentage of salt treated lumber, the rest pallet hardwood, and a heavy mobile home type tie-down.

Well, about a month ago I found he was more correct than either of us probably realized. Either termites or some other wood destroying ants have taken up homes in much of the lumber, even some of the main beams. Goodbye old friend - I sure am going to miss that tower.

I can't afford new salt treated materials to build another one, even though friend Ruddy (broketooth) has offered to help me with the building, and I feel repair would be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and still not be entirely safe. So, after much thought, I ordered an Ol'Man Ladder Stand, featuring the same comfortable net seat, my Ol' Man climber (another old friend of many years) uses. The co. I ordered it from will get their supply tomorrow (20th) and ship mine within 24 hours. I am excited and anxious to receive it.

Yesterday, I spent all afternoon prior to the above pics) using my climber stand, armed with my trusty limb saw, and tree pruner, to clear the two trees behind (to left in pics) and around the tower (which eventually will come down), and the main shooting lanes in preparation for the ladder stand arriving. All I should have left to do is perhaps move a couple targets around a little. The new stand is about 5 feet higher than the tower so I should be able to start practicing out of it (at least some) right away. I'll continue this pictorial as it progresses. Also, of course, the ladder stand can be used for what it was/is intended, if I happen to find a good/safe hunting spot to use it - LOL. (Still gonna miss that old tower - even if it probably will improve the "scenery" out the back door, and in future pics - LOL)

I just noticed pics/vids missing from this thread - I changed the name of an Album on Photo Bucket, and that's all it takes - I will try to get them all corrected tomorrow, 08/12.

DONE IT (whew!)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sorry to hear about your tower Berney. I bet it feels like and old pair of jeans, you hate to get rid of them cause they fit just right but when the bum starts to hang out for all to see you just have to bite the bullet and toss them out. Sooner or later that ladder stand will start to feel like home.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I agree with you 100%, Rick. As soon as possible (and not quite so all fired hot) it will come down.

In the meantime - just in case:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
".. and patches make the goodbye harder still."
Cat Stevens

Many years of safe hunting to you, my wonderful friend.
Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A well-placed quote, Killie, and bless your heart.

I called my supplier this evening to add an item to my order (I've misplaced the tree stand umbrella I've carried/used for years - can't find it anywhere & didn't want to go into the season without one). GUESS WHAT? They got their shipment of stands early, and mine was sent out yesterday - 2 days plus early. I still ordered my camo umbrella  but was very pleased to find out the stand can be expected, and put in place/use, earlier than expected.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'll post pics of the "new" Shooting Range set-up as soon as I get it going.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
bernie, if ya need help in the removal of your tower, give me a holler. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks, Ruddy - I might just do that, it certainly would be easier with a helping hand, on some parts anyway.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just when it was starting to look like part of the landscape . . .    :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
LOL - yep, come to think about it, I guess it does to us. It'll probably look weird out there when it's gone - for awhile at least.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
My new ladder stand (pseudo tower) was delivered (late) this PM. I got it put together after supper but by then I was too hot to put it up. Tomorrow will do - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
From yesterday evening:

Don't you just love it when goodies arrive - especially when they have to do with Trad archery, AND arrive earlier than expected ? YOWSA!

Unpack and inventory (including a very good tree stand safety DVD, and a(nother) Full Body Saftey Harness):

Assemble top section of stand (note the comfy net seat - LOL):

Today, hopefully this AM, I will transfer the sections and parts to the chosen tree on my home range (much like I would if going to a pre-chosen hunting site) and do my best to erect/install the stand/tower.

(More pics then)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Layed out at base of tree and ready to errect. Oh, the two cement blocks, pegged in place, take the place of the two other people who are supposed to hold the base in place for you while you raise it. It worked quite well but I am not recommending it to others - LOL:

In place after errecting:

All that remains is going up the ladder and installing the two ratchet straps, one on the seating platform, and one on the standing platform. This is the time when it is really best to have someone else steady the ladder, and watch you, to make sure you don't lean back too far until you get them installed. Then it will be ready to take the place of my tower. I'll get my good wife and helpmate, Rose to do that for me when it cools down this evening.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bernie, you be careful up there. I hate climbing ladder stands to do the straps. seems they always seem to drop a few inches as the weight settles them in. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I know what you mean, Don, and I agree. I do be extra careful though. This time it is back to the drawing board after most of a days work though. When I went to ascend the ladder it very quickly became apparent that I had picked too small of a tree, just to get the stand where I really wanted it. Had to pick a different tree, to the side of my shooting lane. Actually it will be better but required more work (trimming, etc.). Didn't want the day to be a waste so worked 'til close to dark and, other than clearing the rest of the limbs off range, (to right around first 3D deer), that I had to cut using my climber on the new tree, I am actually back to the stage of raising the stand again - LOL Apparently I just love making extra work for myself - I KNEW BETTER THAN THAT TOO SMALL TREE! LOL

Pic of new location taken just before sunset:

The saga continues tomorrow - got to be careful about the heat though. Working in small "lumps"     :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
This AM I cleared the limbs off the range and cut a few more branches and small saplings that were in the way. I still have a couple decent sized saplings that need to come down on the back lane of the range. Then I did the same as yesterday, only on the new tree of choice - LOL. I now have the stand erected, and ready for me to go up and hook the two top rachet straps up, this evening.

I forgot to mention before that this type ladder stand uses what they call "criss-cross straps" to help hold the stand in to the tree when you climb up to do that part (that most of us hate). I had another brand that used them also once, and it did help. With this stand I went a step further and used a pair of long rachet straps for that purpose. They hook to the seating platform at the back, and drop down on either side of the tree when you raise the stand. Then you cross them behind the tree and tie them off to one of the lower rungs of the ladder. It works pretty good but I liked the rachet straps even better today - we'll see this evening - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck and be careful. That is the part I dislike the most!!
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm with you, Craig, thanks.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Throw a couple of straps on it on the way up.. half and 3/4 way up.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Makes sense and i'll keep it in mind but i must say it really feels very solid (I snuck an upward climb a few rungs, before quitting for lunch - LOL)

BTW, the Current tree of choice happens to be the one that I am in my climber in (last fall), in my avatar.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©