3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Home Range Change For Hunting Prep - pics/vids hvy - added more pics 10/06  (Read 2374 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Home Range Change For Hunting Prep - pics/vids hvy - added more pics 10/06
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
The Edge behaved all the way home, and out and about this AM, Don. Thanks for the comments, I'm pretty pleased with the range - find time to come down and shoot some time, I think you'd enjoy the variations. If Taylor takes after his Uncle Will, that won't be all so bad, even the sleeping - LOL
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
With Irene slated to come visit our local area on Saturday, one can't help but wonder - how is all my archery range work going to pan out. I've got out to shoot about three days since Saturday at the Sissipahah Shoot. Twice out of my stands, and off the ground all three times. Pretty good shooting too, if I do say so myself. May get out again this evening, before "she" gets too close. I put the climber stand in the carport, after shooting last night but will leave the ladder stand up, unless it looks imminent to hit us dead on. We usually don't leave (with all our dogs and cats), unless storms are really headed in close. Besides the one time we did head inland, that storm changed course and headed where we were heading to sit it out - go figure. Not advocating this for others. However our pets are like family and there are not enough shelters that you can bring them,comfortably, for all involved.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2011, 05:36:00 AM »
I did get out last evening for a dzn (replaced my two lost practice arrows - LOL) good hits, after a long day of "tieing things down".

Irene was headed right next to our area (Atlantic Beach) but the 5 AM prediction has moved the path a TAD further East (finally) and now landfall looks like Cape Lookout - 30 - 50 miles away. Irene is so wide it doesn't help much but every little bit helps. Our County is still under the gun. If that eastward trend continues, things could look better and better between now and noon Sat.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
Buckle down Bernie and be careful! This old bitty is BIG and Mean! I'm sure you are prepared anyway but "Be Prepared".  Good luck, Chris

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
Thanks Chris. We've sat out a few here in this home, in the last 17 years, but this one is a big booger all right. We are hoping and praying for the best. A little "in case" work left to do today but did most of it yesterday.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
Just before six AM Sat and so far so good.

Lots of wind and rain all night but as I look out in the dark still all I see is small branch tips and a few chunks of larger wood but nothing serious.

We are still about 3 hours from landfall of the Eye (probably at Cape Lookout or Hatteras) and experiencing the wall of the eye. Depending on where, gusts and sustained winds of about 70 mph

A couple of small tornados spun up but not close to us and very little serious sounding damage in the TV listening area reported so far.

One of our Local TV stations (12) is actually reporting (same thing we are seeing/hearing) over some National HD station, and you may be able to pick it up.

They expect, though there may still be damage here and there, that things from here on out will be getting less and less dangerous for the most part.

Love to all and thank you, Lord.

OH, and traditional archery is still my favorite pastime and from the dark porch my new range looks to be OK - LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
Hang in there Bernie! Just thought about you while watching the news so I got on here to see if you had posted anything. Again Good Luck and keep us posted!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
Bernie, I really like your range as I've been focusing on tree only practice for two weeks now. I told my son-in law a  ladder stand is the direction I should go and I like your new Ole man.I hope you are spared storm damage.Several times here on coastal Ms. deer woods are destroyed by fallen timber as it makes walking impossible.

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Stay safe friend!!
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Alot worse than most expected. I'm assuming Bernie has no power. 350,000 folks without power in eastern NC. I just got internet and satelite tv back up. It's been a long day. still no power and probably won'nt be up for a while. Tons of trees and lines down. I can only get a 1/2 mile from my house. big tree and lines blocking the road. I'll get on that in the am. Acorns are knee deep in the yard. I'm guessing the deer and bear will clean those up soon. Glad I haven't put up any stands yet. I did go out a few min ago and shot my bow in the shop with my hawg lite. We have no power and i got a gererator running the fridge and tv and such. Bernie, hope you are ok. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Glad to hear your OK Don. Looks like there is alot to be done down that way. I wish I could get down there and help out somehow. I guess your stand location has been chose, backyard over acorns! Hey let us know if you hear from Bernie. Be careful cleaning up with all the down trees and lines everywhere.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
11 AM and still all is well in general. Also still a lot of wind and some rain, due to the size of Irene. We did have one large limb come down in our driveway (that will require cutting) but, other than that, it is just the litter of many, many limb tips and limb pieces. Though many (200,000) are without power, ours has stayed on all night. It has glitched on and off this AM a few times but never stayed off yet. We in this little area - once more - are truly blessed.

Right after I sent out the above (in e-mails), posted it on FB, and came here to post it, my power went out - and stayed out, as Don said above. After that we had more damage than before and just got power back on at about 12:30 Sunday AM - LOL

We lost two huge Oak branches, a couple of tops out of Oaks (including the top s of the tree my Ladder stand is mounted in - stand appears to be OK), and one complete large Oak Down. Before it was all just "pick up" stuff, now some "lumberjacking" will be involved. However, NO real damage - so we are still very lucky AND still blessed. Also most of my close neighbors fared even better. Only one other big tree down and no harm.

Thanks for all the concern, blessings, and prayers, and I will have a few pics later.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2011, 02:30:00 AM »
Glad your ok Bernie,was worried for awhile,lets just hope everyone gets off so easily,take care brother.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
Bless you, Larry, and I pray the same for those still in the path.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
Good to hear from you Bernie, have you heard anything from Rudy? I wasn't quite sure how close he is to you?

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Yes, Ruddy called during the day sat. and all was well except for picking up leaves and small branches. I do think the housing area he lives in (about 20 or so miles from me) had some flooding later but I don't believe it would reach his house.

I will need to start work soon on clean up, including cleaning my Home Range all over again - LOL. Better than many of the alternatives though, you know.

Here are some pics of our worst tree damage

First large branch to fall - on driveway:

Second was the top out of my Ladder Stand tree:

Later I found a large tree crashed across our end of the lane to our next door neighbors house:

Trunk End:

Center:

Top:

(Next post will be better pics of my Ladder Stand Tree)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
A better (or worse) look at the Ladder Stand tree:

A view of the top where the one branch was torn out and another broken over - it will fall later, I'm sure     :rolleyes:    :

View from the other side (ladder is on the center tree):

As you can get a partial feel for in these pics, our little acre is heavily littered with Oak and other limb tips and pieces - much bending over is in store, as well as some serious cutting. More fun than a barrel full of monkeys. BUT WE ARE SAFE AND SOUND - thank you Lord.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Glad you are all okay Bernie....Looks like a mess now, but look at all the free firewood mother nature provided, with a little (acutally looks like a lot)of work. Again glad you are all safe and sound.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
Glad you guys are ok up there  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
Looks rough Bernie but I guess you can start Part 2 of the "Home Range prep and clean up". Don't know what help I can be this far west of you but hollar if you need something.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©