3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Home Range Change For Hunting Prep - pics/vids hvy - added more pics 10/06  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lot of folks would say that shot on the turkey is too far back. After hunting with Joebuck, I'd say it's a perfect shot. straight up the leg , middle of the body. good shooting my friend. If you are serious about rebuilding your tower at some point, let me know. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hmmm, that's interesting facts there, Don. I was thinking, "further back than I wanted it," also - I guess mostly from looking for the wing joint for 3D hits. I know for kill shots in front it's close to the beard junction, and in back end it's "in the back end" - LOL but I hadn't really known that about the side - thanks for adding that info here.

I would love to build another tower one of these days, if "time" (and money) permits. Just because they are so much easier/handier getting up and down, and to shoot from, that it encourages one to use them more. If I had a couple of nice little "gulleys" to set the targets in, like at Sissipaha, it would be easy to slap up a tower, as it wouldn't have to be very big or high, huh? LOL Thanks for offering to help, my friend.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Today, there might just be another "big change to the range" - we'll see.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
Go Bernie!!
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
Bernie, consider bending more in the waist for those downward shots. Most hits seem look to be high and i think this is the reason seeing the pics of you in the stand...

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
You may very well be right, tecum-tha. That is important and I pretty well had it nailed down at one time, from most stands, etc. I'll try to be more aware of it. However, this stand is higher than my tower was and a little smaller standing space, as yet, I am still not toooo overly comfortable in it, I must admit - LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
This morning I hinted that there might be another big change to my home range. At about 8:30 or 9 AM, my friend Ruddy ("broketooth") descended on my old tower like a veritable one-man wrecking crew. So, for today (at least) he will be known as "Wrecking Ruddy".

"Let's start at the top, Bernie.":

With the Guard rails gone, Ruddy attacks the top floor boards, (while I did minor little things and handed tools back and forth):

In no time at all, the pile of wood on the ground was getting bigger:

and the Tower was getting smaller:

With a lot of the anchillary parts demolished, Ruddy took after the super structure, with my trusty ax, while I kept tension on a rope dallied around a tree - to ensure the remainder of the old tower fell where we wanted it to. I got the honor of leaning back into the final little tug that brought my "old shooting friend" down, while Ruddy dropped the ax and took a quick picture of the final topple:

When the dust cleared, the tower had crashed to the ground and wrecked more damage on itself - no longer a danger to anyone:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
By 11 AM Ruddy was on his way back home to a well-earned shower and rest. Thank you so much Ruddy, my friend . The task would have taken me days, or perhaps weeks. As it is i can clean up the "wreckage", at my leisure, as the weather permits - and the view out the back door looks better already:

What would we do without the help of our "Trad Friends"?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
Well there old fellow it looks like you got things under control. I don't see the escalator to get you up and down.....oh ya now I see them, those appendages peering out of your pant leg's. Well they have done well for this many years I suppose they should do for a while longer  :biglaugh:   Take care and shoot good and be careful up there..............Chort

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
glad i could help bernie! i really think thatwhen i used it this past january, i remember telling you that it was in disrepair. im glad  miss rose doesnt have to worry about you bein up there anymore. anytime you need some help bernie, you give me a holler. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bless your hearts, Chort and Ruddy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bernie I always knew you were a killer,great shooting I hope to aspire to your level someday.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I just wish I could get more consistent, Larry (though that has improved some too, since my last visit with batman, I think).

I went out last evening, and didn't feel much like shooting but did get the bottom half of the fallen superstructure broken down. Just the top half left to be more or less flat -    :jumper:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
let me know if you need som help haulin that stuff off to the dump bernie,i will be glad to help.rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks, Ruddy, it'll be a little while (depending on the heat) before I have it ready to haul away.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
just burn it, everything else down there is on fire. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
You have a point there, Don, but they do kind of frown on burning chemically treated wood - LOL. It was a little cooler (less hot) this PM, and overcast, so I went at it again. I took the top half apart and cut the pieces into easier to handle lengths. I pretty much am down to only about 1/2 or an hour left. Dismantling that one set of steps, cutting those two tree trunks down, and moving the cement blocks to my main pile of them. Looking almost decent, for a pile of trash, huh?  ' Course I'm too tired to go out and shoot tonight, or maybe not - at least a few from the ground     :goldtooth:    

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looks pretty awesome  :thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bernie,

Nobody seemed to have mentioned this and I don't now how I missed my favorite Garden Gnome's thread, but here comes:  Why not take some of that treated lumber and slip it under your ladder stand for a solid base?

We had some ladders up local here and when it got soft from rains, it would do some interesting gymnastics on us as one leg or t'other would sink a few inches and create some rides to rally Disney World!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'd be better off using the cement blocks, if I needed that, Dave. The ants/termites invaded my tower and have set up living spaces inside the wood, thus the dis-mantling of it. I wouldn't dare trust any of the wood, plus I need to get it all off the property before using any new lumber (or burn it as Don suggested - shhhh).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©