3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Home Range Change For Hunting Prep - pics/vids hvy - added more pics 10/06  (Read 2378 times)

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
bernie, you are gettin pretty good at shooting videos. its alot of fun isnt it?id be willing to bet you will be shooting some vids of your hunts soon too. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks, Ruddy - and I didn't even make a "batman Turkey hunt video quotation" bleeper yet, huh?       :laughing:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Decided to do some more target shifting yesterday and today and will be posting update pics/video within the day, or two. Man, like everywhere, it's so hot it sure slows down the progress!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
What the H#####ll. A slur on batman? You know that I was not a marine or sailor. but I was a ranger/ paratrooper and we can cuss just as good as you jarheads. LOL. Good shooting my friend. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
LOL - I know a good "cusser" when I hear one and just couldn't resist that crack, Don.

Today I pretty much finished my target shifting, and trimming another tree (to use my climber on) for practice. So this noon time I went back out and took both some stills, and a video, of the new range set up, just in case one or the other didn't work out. Turned out they both depict what I wanted to "show and tell" - so I'll subject those of you who look to both stills and video - LOL.

First the still photos of the range update.

Left of Ladder stand:

Front:

Added tree Stand (climber):

Right of Ladder Stand:

Now the video of the same semi-circle sweep, from the ladder stand, to further explain the target update, and the still photos:

(Click on that last picture to see the video.)

BTW - today when moving the big round, foam target I noticed that deer sillouete is kind of large in the body for most of the deer I get to see around here. With that in mind, I took some black spray paint and closed the background in some, to correct that. You will see that in any future pics and/or videos.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I did a video shooting out of my Climber last night, after our tiny bit of rain, but forgot I had done the ones above earlier, and didn't change the battery - DUH! Needless to say it died before I even got up the tree. I was just talking away up there - just like i knew what i was doing - LOL,LOL Well, it was a good "practice session" anyway. I'll try again today or tomorrow.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I kept having trouble getting a video from the climbing stand - first one thing and then another. This morning I got Rose to help (start the camera), AFTER I climbed up, and it worked out well. I split (edited) the video into two parts to keep the upload time down. The only thing we missed was zooming-in a little - just like the first one from the ladder stand - LOL. Rose seems to have a little trouble getting the zoom and the video function coordinated. However the camera was a little closer on this one so it isn't bad at all. in fact I'm not sure but what I like the looks better, than if it had been zoomed in. Hope you enjoy it. You will hear me mention that I plan to take some stills of the hits after I get down - and I did. I will post them in the next post, and you will get to see the target hits that I described (both good and bad - LOL) in the video.

First Part (a):

Second Part (b):

(Still Pics in the following post.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Target hits.

Racoon and Buck - back shots:

Round Foam Deer - good first and third shots together, second one was high, right (deer newly "slimmed down" by painting in background - LOL):

Turkey - two Bad shots (left, in fan and wing tips) one good'un (in body):

Fox - one miss to left of back, low, one good'un in side:

Pig - hit was even further back than I thought - gutted him pretty bad, especially at that angle - not my best/cleanest effort:

This is a shot of Blackie, my Anneewakee Addiction 54" Recurve, hanging on the climber stand with my quiver - it just looked like a good photo op to me, as I came back from taking the pics of the targets. I'm reasonably sure Blackie was thinking, "I'm a great shot, when that old fool does his part right, snicker, snicker."

Thanks for looking, y'all.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I just noticed pic/vids missing from earlier in this thread - I changed the name of an Album on Photo Bucket and that's all it takes - I will try to get them all corrected tomorrow, 08/12.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Corrections/re-posting all done so thread is now complete again. Whew! That was confusing     :confused:       ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
thanks for sharing your world and videos with me, always enjoy them!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thank you, RedShaft, that means a lot to me. Today, I set a couple more targets out (that I use in the carport for winter practice), and moved the tables around a little to improve the looks of that area (though the pile of wood is still there). More pics later. Hope to shoot some this evening but it is pretty cloudy/dark already w/ just sprinkles so far. We'll see after supper.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Got too dark too quick this eve for anything further (darn it), have to see how it goes over the weekend & into Mon. They keep saying rain but we don't get much to speak of right here, so far.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
These are pics of the new target/range updates completed yesterday.

Table area (that pile of old tower wood still hasn't left the area - LOL):

Target area to left of Ladder Stand - painted targets, also painted & added another foam pig target:

Around the corner - repainted Foam deer:

Close-up of Large Foam deer:

To the Front added small square foam tgt (an old-timer) with circles & touched up paint jobs:

To Right of Ladder Stand - added another bag target with deer body and repainted the two old ones, the fox, and the large foam deer sillouette in front of the pump house:

It's just a shame there isn't way more shooting going on here than there is. If you are ever in my area and would like to shoot with me on my "Home Range", I'm in the phone book (Dunn, Bernard S.). Don't hesitate to give me a call and come by - we'll shake a hand, and fling a few for sure. Probably take a few pics too - LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I see you got that ole wood pile with the gnarly chew boys in it... Is that a trail I see them making toward the house and garage/shop?

I sure hope not! Rose will have yer carcass!

Where ya get all them foam blocks for targets, Bernie!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've done some heavey duty spraying in, on, and around that pile of wood, Dave to hopefully keep "things" under control until I get it gone (hopefully).  

Those big foam blocks are brought to the shoots (ATAR and Hickory) by a big guy and his sons, out of GA. The shoots are about the only place you can get them as the shipping would make them prohibitive for him to sell at a reasonable price like he does. As I recall each of mine cast only $40.00 They go like hot cakes and last like crazy. The smaller ones they sell for about $20.00 last i knew. You may recall I bought the Big Round one The first year at ATAR (remember Dave Bartholomu gave me a rachet strap he had with him, to secure it in my little Ranger pick-up for the trip back home? I think you helped me load it). I bought the newer one (that I cut in half and painted the two pigs on) about three years ago at ATAR. I think they only make it to the shoots in the Carolinas and GA. Gene Thorne would probably remember their name & info.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bernie love your backyard range,If I ever have the opportunity to stop by I will,thanks for the pics.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
REmember that well, now that you mention it.

I also remember toying with the idea, but with the cap on the F150, I couldn't get the block inside so passed.

I'd forgotten all that. What a hoot we had putting yours in the li'l truck--but it had no cap! We must've looked like two monkeys and a fooball!   :jumper:  

Alas, not much chance of hooking up on any of those, lest I end up living down that way when things re-direct in my world.

As Larry said, that is one incredible back-yard set up buddy.  

Have you considered one of those "life line" set ups for your ladder? The rope tied up top and anchored to the bottom w/ prusic hitch so youre tethered the entire time up, down and while securing your tether once up?  They really are pretty slick and give a body a lot of security during the climb and especially those moments when you're wrapping the strap/rope around the tree to hook to!

Stay safe, li'l Buddy!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks, guys. I really should have a life-line on that tree with the ladder stand. Batman uses them on his loc-ons that have strap on ladder sections and they are neat because it's all close to the tree. Not sure how they hook up on a (stand-away) ladder stand though. Need to research it a little, though.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
This evening it was a little cooler (high 80s, LOL) and we had dynomite rain last night (finally) so things really looked good out back. I hadn't done any work today so I went out to shoot before supper. Climbed up on the ladder stand and had a grand practice. couple of neighbors heard me shooting and came over - they were duly impressed with the arrows in the targets - LOL. They even handed some of my arrows back up to me so they could watch me "do it to it" - and i didn't even blow that - "Some Days Are Diamonds"    :archer:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©