3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 250 grain VPA picture  (Read 349 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
250 grain VPA picture
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
I just got some of the two bladed VPA broadheads.
Here is a picture of it with some of my other favorite two bladed heads. The VPA is the only screw in head in the picture.
  In my opinion they have brought much to the table, but I tend to favor the size of some of the others..

[/URL

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 250 grain VPA picture
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the photo Pat!

It is a nice comparison of those 2 blades.

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Pat,I agree with you!Thanks for sharing.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Interesting!..... Thanks!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Pat:  I want to thank you as well, I have seen alot of press on these new heads and I will probably try some as well, but I have to say...  They will have to be some special head to outperform those ABOYER Heads you have in that picture.  Best 2-blade head I have ever used and I have tried them all.  Of course there is always room for improvement, let us know what you think...RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I think if I had a chance to hunt something tougher than a deer I would be buying some. I'm just so used to seeing a big delta on the business end.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
what is the single bevel between the zwicky's?
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Good Stuff. I sure like the Abowyer myself.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Both of the single bevels are ABowyer Wapiti's..

I modified the point on the one in the upper right.
Since I shoot bows that are relatively light weight
(upper 40's) I thought the point may aid in penetration.. I've killed several critters with the sharp pointed Wapiti's..

BTW, I really like the VPA.. I do wish the head was longer and the tanto tip was a little less aggressive, but that's just me.. I know they are machined straight and will spin like a top !

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Just ordered the 200 grain Penetrators.  They're a bit shorter than the 250 or 300, but I'm anxious to try them out.

Offline rayzor150

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
The yet to be realeased 300s are 3.1". Quite a bit longer than the one pictured.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
Hope it has more of a point.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I too had reservations about the wider "tanto" point Bob (If that's what you meant) . . . until I actually shot a 250 into fresh beef muscle, bone, and tough connective tissue repeatedly with the same head.  After multiiple shots the head was perfect except for dullen edges, which I was able to quickly restore to hunting sharpness. I have no doubt that you can cut through bone on entry without worrying about a curled leading edge or tip impeding penetration of the far side. I should have one of the 300s in my hands today, which is longer and probably what I'll have in my quiver this fall.  I'll post a photo of the larger head when I receive one.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
getting ready to order the 250 grain two blade....can't wait to try them out.....

lee

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowbldr:
Hope it has more of a point.
Bob, you and a number of others, like me, have that same thought. I have not seen the final version of the 300 grain, but I am willing to await some field experience with the heads before I come to any final opinions on the heads. I can definitely say that some of the very expensive broadheads that appeared to be exceptionally well designed and built have had problems that left me disappointed, and could have resulted in lost game, or worse where dangerous game was involved.

The VPA Terminators have proved themselves to be superior broadheads. I bought quite a few of the 300 Xtreems heads from Bob some time ago, and they were outstanding heads that were amazingly tough, durable and effective. The Terminators are similar. With VPA's history, and after receiving the 250 grain Penetrators, I expect them to be outstanding performers too, but that doesn't mean a more pointed design on the 300 grain heads would not be better. As Andy Ivy has pointed out, penetrating ability on animals like Asiatic buffalo or large African species is paramount. Certainly, I would like to be able to re-use the broadheads and have them undamaged after shooting them into big animals, and if I can have that with a less aggressive point shape without sacrificing penetration, then I am all for it. But if I can get better penetration on the largest game animals, I am willing to replace broadheads with damaged tips, as long as the damage does not diminish penetration. Like Andy has said, he and I have both experienced such things as slight chipping of the heads that did not have appreciable impact on penetration and have also had the front third of the broadhead break off when hitting heavy bone, which really affected the ultimate penetration. When hunting the big, bad animals, the cost of the broadheads is slight compared to the cost of the hunt, and nothing compared to the loss of a trophy animal or the danger to the lives of others. In those circumstances, I want to put the animal on the ground as soon as possible after the shot, and the ability to re-use the broadhead is not something I would be considering until later, if at all. I do understand that re-usability is also a measure of the broadhead's ability to withstand the punishment of penetrating the animal in the first place, so the two factors are not independent of one another. I'm sure the folks at VPA are taking all that into consideration in building another great broadhead.

The 250 grain heads look to be perfect for the majority of my hunting, but the 300 grainers will get the nod for the really big stuff.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
VPA just sent me one of the first 300 grainers "fresh off the press". It hasn't been heat treated, painted, or Teflon coated yet, but even in it's "naked" state sure looks great!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Here is a photo comparing the 250 gr. I tested (same head) to the unfinished 300 grain received today.

(Note: Hit the F5 key to refresh the page if the images fails to load.)

Gary Logsdon

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Fine looking broadhead !!!

However, there's always one of those,lol, why not leave the tanto point much less blunt..  If some of the BIG game hunters want a blunt tanto like that it's an easy matter to make it so with a file..It's pretty difficult to put that material back on once it's gone !
   From a marketing standpoint, why not cater to the 99% of the hunters that will never see Africa or Australia and big buffalo.
Perhaps I'm off base in my thinking ?

Thanks for the picture, Gary.. Again, it's a fine looking broadhead.. Wish I would have waited and bought some of the 300's rather than the 250's!

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Are these all the same weight?

If they are, don't forget you need to add about 75 gains for a steel insert.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
The ones depicted are screw-on, so that is the total weight.
Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©