3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY boot pads?  (Read 304 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY boot pads?
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I was trying to order the felt boot pads off 3 rivers and they are phasing them out and only have smalls left.  After looking at them more I don't see why I can't make some myself with some soft material from walmart and some bungie cords.  Anyone try this before? Any tips to do or not do?  I'll be hunting here in Texas and I'm not willing to take off the snake boots while stalking.

Zane
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY boot pads?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Havent done it yet but its been a project Ive been planning, thinking buying a yard of heavy carpet padding cut to size of boot make 4 slits, then attach cinch straps through and tighten to boots.  My only concern is not having a strap holding the back down but will deal with when I put together.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
WOW! I can't tell you how many times I've thought about something, come on the forum to do some research and TaDa someone is asking the question.

Anyway I've been putting some thought into this as well. I have an idea involving heavy felt and stretchcord.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
I was thinking heavy felt and bungie cord.  As for keeping the back down, looking at the design of the "soft stalker" the strap from the back of the pad seems to come up to the front of the ankle.  Thats what I'm planning to try.  

What would make for the best material?  Felt?

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Texasrecurve81:
I was thinking heavy felt and bungie cord.  As for keeping the back down, looking at the design of the "soft stalker" the strap from the back of the pad seems to come up to the front of the ankle.  Thats what I'm planning to try.  

What would make for the best material?  Felt?
I beleive we are on the same track here.

It's my thoughts that a heavy felt is the way to go.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline iron_llama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Are you looking for something to make your footsteps quieter, or something to soak in scent?  I use a boot pad with scent in it when still hunting, but it's just a small piece of felt in my instep.  It sounds like you're looking for a full-foot sort of thing.  Is this right?

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
A fellow I knew in Alaska made some with some wool carpeting. He used contact cement to attach them.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
The only thing to consider about felt is it will attract every fox tail, sticker and every thing on the ground that can stick to somthing and will take forever to clean. Carpet padding sounds good if it is strong enough not to tear at the attachment points..
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Wool felt is really easy to sew.  Go to the fabric store and pick some out.  Get a big needle and soem strong thread and play around with it.  Let us see what you come up with.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by iron_llama:
Are you looking for something to make your footsteps quieter, or something to soak in scent?  I use a boot pad with scent in it when still hunting, but it's just a small piece of felt in my instep.  It sounds like you're looking for a full-foot sort of thing.  Is this right?
Correct a full foot thing to silence movement (hopefully)!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I'm also looking for a full boot sole cover to help with stalking quietly.  I've been a little concerned about picking up every sticker out there when walking.  I'll have to go to the fabric store and see what I can find.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
I should also say that I'm not going to want them attached all the time just when used for stalking so I'll be trying to make straps of some sort rather than gluing.

Offline RusD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I remember looking through the catalog I got with my bino harness from Crooked Horn Outfitters; they had something similar to what you guys are talking about, but if I remember it correctly they had fabric that wrapped all the way around your boot.  Check them out. I don't have experience with them or anything, but it may give you some other ideas.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Cabela's used to have a product called "Baers Feet" (yes, that is the correct spelling), but they have been discontinued. My best friend Doug uses them all the time, including stalking buffalo in Australia 6 weeks ago.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
yup, Crooked Horn Outfitters has exactly what you guys are talking about - 30 bucks.  Theirs don't look like they would begin to be as tuff as wool felt or some such would be though.
bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Those Crooked Horn Safari Sneakers are exactly the same thing as the old Baers Feet. Like I said, my buddy Doug swears by them.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
Glue the stuff on an old pair of sneekers or boots. Shoe gue should work or somthing like it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Get a pair of skidoo boot liners very cheap.They are sort of like the M.mouse boots. Just get oversize and tada.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
If you are going to make some yourself, leave a long thin tab on the heel end that will go up the back of your boot. Then just use same thing to wrap around to the front that you use to hold the sole on with. If I was going to make a pair and now that the pic is clear in my head, I just might,lol. I would use 2 layers of thick feltand leave the tab on the bottom one. Then sew some elastic waistband type material in between them and sew some velcro material to them where the ends meet together over the laces of the boot. That way if the felt gets caught and sticks it wouldn't take much pressure to alert you to the fact that you are caught up and could fix it before you go from stalking mt.lion to bull in china shop,lol. Hope that the explanation is clearer than mud. I apologize if not. Thanks, Mike.
BTW good idea.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline iron_llama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Sorry for being late to the party here...

I've been kicking around the idea of swapping out my hunting boots for something with softer soles, to accomplish pretty much the same thing.  I've seen various 'deer stalker' boots and someone on here recommended Chuck Taylors.  I think I wouldn't mind glueing something soft to the bottom of a cheap pair of Chucks.  I would think that you'd want to be very careful and deliberate about scent control, no matter what material you use.  I'd expect that ancient Sorel liners will always smell like rotten feet, and underlayment might smell pretty strongly like chemicals and adhesive.  I've got a couple of old GI sleeping pads that should soften my footfalls, wonder how they smell...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©