3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What attracted you to traditional archery?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What attracted you to traditional archery?
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Two reasons:

1. Simplicity. When I shot compound for a year I was constantly wondering if my shots missed because of my sight being off. Also, in general, I like to keep things in my life simple with a minimum of accessories and gadgets.

2. Aesthetics. Kind of linked in with simplicity. I just like the way the bow looks and feels. It makes shooting fun for me, instead of just necessary practice.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
The challenge. Shooting tiny little groups with wheels is boring after a while. With a longbow, you have to concentrate on every shot or your gonna miss by a mile.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
The beauty of a simple wooden bow. Just called to me!
Glenn

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
It just felt right to me  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
A wonderful way to take me back to my youth, when a lot of things were simpler. The Skookum that I use too hunt well with at that time, when I was younger. The feel of good long bow and the feel of a well shot arrow. I am there again.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I simply enjoy it.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
USN_Sam1385, Good story, I'd like to hunt in your camp sometime you sound like my kind of people!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Carpmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
The challenge and the drive to hunt harder, plus it is fun stuff!

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
The bow grabbed me first.  Love at first sight.  Always have had an affinity with Native American culture as well and the stickbow fit right in...
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
That's all we had.  Went to wheels for abfew but longbows retook my heart
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I was 9 years old, at my elementry school there was this guy shooting a longbow in our autotorium, his name was Howard Hill! ya ever heard of him....lol...shortly after that my mom bought me my first Ben Pearson , cool huh ..  :)  ....never been the same...Mark#78   :thumbsup:      :goldtooth:      :archer2:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I got tired of bringing so many gadgets like lazer range finders wheel bow with fiber optic sites and a release. Heck just the bow alone had to weigh 5 pounds or more. I just like grabbing my longbow and some arrows and hit the woods. SInce going the traditional route I've never discovered I'd left my release back in the truck after hiking a good ways into the woods.

IMHO traditional archery is just simpler....period!
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
To better my Woodsmen-ship.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Sam you can't leave us like this   :readit:

For me it was what I considered real archery!  I grew up as a young boy watching my step dad leaving and coming home with his 80# Drake recurve, I was fascinated by the smooth simple curved profile of that bow!  My dad probably didn't weight  135#'s but was a wry muscle and shot in local NFAA tournament at that time and did quite well.  I remember sitting at home and looking at all the bowhunting magazines with the glossy pictures of Bear, Pearson, Martins, Wing and other bow advertisement and saying I wanted one when I got older.  After joining the USAF  I soon purchased my first bow  a Browning Safari but it was the compound model.  I shot it a year or so and just never could convince myself that this was the archery I had dreamed of as a young boy.  Not long after I sold the compound and purchased my heart desire, a GFA era Custom Bighorn (Still have it 22 years old) and new that's what was driving me all them early years, it just felt right.  I've never looked back
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
It never was how the bow felt when I shot it but how the bow made me feel when I had it in my hand and loosed an arrow..

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
My Dad bought me a Bear 76er in my early teens, I used to shoot it all the time when we would go shore fishing along the Missouri river, that always stuck with me but I didn't get serious about bowhunting until 1985 when I bought my first Bear Wheelie bow, in 1993 or there abouts I swiched to traditional and never looked back. Thanks Dad!
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Got tired of not being able to work on anything myself.  Initially planned on just not having as much stuff to have to mess with.  Now I can start with some sticks, skins, and feathers and end with a nice set of archery gear.  Love it!
Silence is golden.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I had never bow hunted before for anything, only gun hunted for 3-4 years. In March near my birthday I was with my wife at the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo in Columbus. While looking at bows, my wife said for my birthday I had my choice between a compound, recurve or longbow(hybrid) that they were selling there. I went with the longbow because it was beautiful and simple, but eventually switched over to a recurve. The recurve in my opinion is even more beautiful and feels "right" in my hand.

I chose the longbow at the time because I knew I would never be satisfied with the compound. I was certain that I would have a nagging thought about whether I could effectively hunt with the longbow. At the time, I was unaware that there was a difference in archery between trad and modern. I just thought the longbow was simpler without all the sights and cams. Also, I am excellent at breaking things and the longbow had less to break.

Over the years I have grown to appreciate a bow in the woods more and more. After firing a gun the animals scatter and everything falls quiet. Often after shooting a bow, the animals stay in the area and will go back to whatever they were doing as they went about their day.

I am glad I made the choice, even if most people just don't understand me. That includes other bowhunters! I only hope that I can do half as much for archery as it has done for me. I think most trad archers feel that way and that is why I love this community.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I shot a wheelie for years. Always shot almost daily. never got tired of it per say. I loved letting arrows go. A few friends moved over to the Trad side of life. I ended up shooting one of their longbows and that was it. Haven't had a wheelie in my hands since. Still let arrows fly daily but now I have to actually try!!! I love it. Ive always considered myself and archer but don't know that I actually knew what that meant until I started shooting, stick and string. Im still really green with it and I really hope this excitement stays with me for the rest of the journey. From what Ive read on here I fully expect it to! Great thread and thanks for sharing everybody. Good Stuff!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I have shot the same Proline Typhoon XT compound since about 1989, I think.  Always fingers, never used a release, but sights, yes.  Still pull it out from time to time, as I enjoy it, in spite of its obsolete technology.

My dad was a big archery guy and ran a shop in the 60s and 70s.  He always set me and my brother up with our archery gear, and we grew up puttering around on compounds.  Dad had honed his hunting skills with a JH Gamemaster on Catalina Island, in California.  He was a crack shot, and a killer hunter.  At some point, he started shooting a compound.  Then we moved to Alaska in 1979.  Dad went out moose hunting that year and killed a 70" moose at 86 yards with a compound.  It was facing him, and he shot it through the jugular vein.  I can still remember him telling me how the blood gushing out was like a stream from a garden hose.    He was putting his gear away and I remember him saying something to the effect of, "This is too easy.  It wasn't even fun."  I never forgot that.  Dad kind of hung up his archery gear after that, and communicated his frustration that compounds were getting too close to shooting a crossbow.

I hunted a bit growing up, killing small game with my compound, but it was only mildly amusing.  Then, in 2006, my dad surprised me with a Black Widow PMA.  By this time, I was 35 years old and lived far away, with a family of my own.  He wanted to pass on his archery heritage to his boys, and we all planned a big traditional archery caribou hunt the following year in Alaska.  At this time, I lived in Illinois, and my brother and his family lived overseas.  I had never shot a recurve before.  We all started practicing, and I practiced every day in the parking lot of the apartment complex where I lived.  I practiced around 10-11pm to stay out of trouble.  I was real excited, learning, learning, learning.  Then came the crushing news that dad died suddenly in a freak heart arrhyrhmia episode, at home in Alaska in March 2007.  We were to be hunting caribou that fall.

I do traditional archery because I really enjoy it.  I feel like it brings out the 'artist' in me.  I do trad archery because I aspire to be like my father was.  It was clear to me that his enjoyment increased a hundredfold when he started shooting trad equipment again.  And I find some of the same joy in it that my dad did.  I guess I started to do trad archery because it's in my family.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©