3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your worst shooting scenario ?  (Read 512 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats your worst shooting scenario ?
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I am looking to challenge myself over the next few months and try and put myself in challenging shooting scenarios. I already figured out a few as far as incline, down hill, obstacle(tree ect.) and height.
 So what challenging shootig scenarios have you been in that I may try to duplicate?  :coffee:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Re: Whats your worst shooting scenario ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
if your right handed ,shooting to your right side. thats the tuffest i think, especially when the deer is really close ,and it should be a piece of cake.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing as arrow30. I have been practicing out of my stand alot lately and for me, being a righty, shooting to the right while sitting has really been my struggle.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Try working out and getting your heart rate up and breathing hard....then try and calm yourself and shoot at a target.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
To follow up on my last post. It probably won't be a scenario now that I realize it's a struggle. I know that I must show patience and wait on the best shot and not try a 50/50 shot to the right. Of coarse if I get stood up all is good again! Practice these scenario's as much as possible so you will know what to be aware of! Lets here more

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
How about waking up at 4:30 AM at 10,000' after not having slept very well on the ground and because of the elevation.  The temp is about 20 degrees.  You walk out to a spot where you hope elk might come by, and then stand there behind some bushes trying to keep your fingers from turning numb by wrapping them around handwarmers in your pockets, with your bow tucked under your arm.  Then an elk does come by, when it's still a little darker than you would like, and a lot colder than you would like, and you feel totally stiff and wonder if you can get the bow back to full draw.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
You mention incline (uphill) and on a standing shot I am good to go. Had a bull Caribou come in above me while I was kneeling. Pulled up and the shot just felt wrong! It not only felt wrong, it looked wrong! I couldn't take the shot. When the bull moved behind some brush I got stood up, but a shot never presented itself. I have practiced that shot since, but have never had the opportunity to take it in a hunting situation. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
arrow30 hit it on the nose
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
arrow30  :thumbsup:  Missed a big doe at 9 yards by 4 feet like that!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Shooting uphill always messes with me.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
shooting to the right, behind me.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
I gotta agree shooting with the right foot forward if your a righty.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 03:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by McDave:
How about waking up at 4:30 AM at 10,000' after not having slept very well on the ground and because of the elevation.  The temp is about 20 degrees.  You walk out to a spot where you hope elk might come by, and then stand there behind some bushes trying to keep your fingers from turning numb by wrapping them around handwarmers in your pockets, with your bow tucked under your arm.  Then an elk does come by, when it's still a little darker than you would like, and a lot colder than you would like, and you feel totally stiff and wonder if you can get the bow back to full draw.
How do you suggest we practice this one, stay up all night and then go out early morning with some ice in our pockets?   :biglaugh:

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
For me...the worst shooting scenerio would have something to do with elk hunting.  With that said....go run a mile then sprint that last quarter mile. Grab your bow and draw it back,  hold for 10 seconds at full draw then swing to shoot at a slow moving target at say......10-15 yds.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ari:

quote:
Originally posted by McDave:
How do you suggest we practice this one, stay up all night and then go out early morning with some ice in our pockets?    :bigsmyl:

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
For me, when there's an animal in front of me.    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Hanging upside-down by my harness out of a treestand...

What? It could happen!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Don't know if this is what  you are after because I don't know how you can duplicate it.  But in a hunting situation having an animal facing you and being aware of you is almost an impossibility. I have had that happen once successfully but I sat still for almost 1/2 hour before the deer turned broadside and gave me the shot...27 yards on the ground, snow and in the teens. Don't want to have to do that again. Then there is the "Bedded Buck" shot at the Muzzy shoot. Someone will have to post a picture  to give it full value but you are shooting under a log, over a stone wall and to do the shot accurately you cannot see the target once you kneel down far enough to get the arrow thru the opening, under the log and over the stone wall.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I fight my worst case every day. Have'n target panic! Going on my first Elk hunt this fall and having it flair up when I have a shot coming into play is my worst nightmare.....   :banghead:    :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©