3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long can you leave a bow strung...  (Read 376 times)

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
How long can you leave a bow strung...
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
I unstring my bow after each use. I have a hybrid longbow and often wonder if I left it strung does it do any harm? Could you leave it strung for a day, week or month with no damage?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: How long can you leave a bow strung...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Some folks say they leave them strung for weeks, months even years without damage.  Personally, I think some might develop a bit of a set if strung for long periods and not used during those periods.  I unstring mine when not in use. Talking glass laminated bows, of course.  Wood and wood laminated bows should be unstrung when in not in use.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
If your shooting once or twice a week I would leave it strung. If your going away for 6 weeks, maybe I would unstring it... ...maybe not. I saw a video with Ken Beck at Black Widow where a shop bow was strung when it was new and has never been unstrung, for like 6 or 8 years. That bow was shot almost daily! I guess you should do what you feel comfortable with!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
I used to leave whatever glass bow I was using strung about all the time.  Never had an issue and never lost any draw weight.  They would go multiple months and maybe even a couple year+ stretches.  Now that I have kids, I unstring more often just so there isn't a bow under braced tension sitting around.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I un-string my longbows every time I use them.(easy to do) I leave my recurve strung all the time except for string changes/travel etc. No loss in weight or any other problems noted.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Probably a strung bow will survive his owner!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
With modern bows you have a much greater chance of damage durning the unstring and string process then leaving it strung. With that said if im not going to shoot a bow for weeks at a time i unstring and store. If im shooting a bow at least once a week i leave it strung
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
I have two Blacktail take down recurves and they've been fully strung for the last 18 months. I shoot them both sometimes once a week, sometimes twice a week.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
In the Black Widow owner's manual video that came with my BW longbow, they recommend that their longbows be unstrung rather than strung, if they are not being used.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I'll be shooting my BW at least 3-4 times a week, so I plan on leaving it strung and hung horizontally from pegs. Black Widow recommends this, and I believe the part about potential damage being greatest during the stringing/unstringing process. For some reason, my Widow is difficult to string for me. Really gotta be careful.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I unstring my ILF's because they are kinda sensitive, but my others I dont worry about so much.  I have a Robertson Montana Falcon that has not been unstrung for ten years. It has lost NO draw weight and shoots as good as ever. I don't worry about custom hunting bows, they are pretty damn durable.
BUT, unstringing sure won't hurt unless you slip.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I unstring when the string needs maintenance, or when I travel, some of my bows have been strung for years. If the bow is not a regular shooter it is unstrung and hangs from a peg.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I unstring my longbows after every use. My recurves stay strung as long as I am using a particular one. Could be months.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
I leave my recurves strung and unstring my longbows....Roger at BW told me that was their recommendation....

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I never unstring my longbow unless I'm going to take it somewhere. Here at the house it stays ready all the time.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I don't ever unstring my ILF's, I know guys who haven't unstrung their ILF's for a couple of years. I really don't think they are any more sensitive than a custom recurve.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
I usually unstring mine, but have left them strung for up to a week with no damage

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I unstring all my bows after each use. However I have never heard of a fiberglass laminated bow being damaged by leaving it strung.
James Kerr

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I have my go to bow (shot at least 3 times a week) thats been strung since I got it 18mo with no ill effects at all. Another recurve shot twice a week or so been strung for years, just ran it through the chrono last week and numbers are the same as last time I chronoed it six years ago. Other bows that dont get shot much are unstrung and stored.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Builder! Good point, I did not mean to imply ILF's are sensitive in general. Mine are 70" long, thin and average 30-40# for FITA style comp. Made in Belgium, VERY sensitive!  Sneeze and they turn to a pretzel...but easy to straighten also.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©