3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern Longbow Quiver  (Read 197 times)

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Northern Longbow Quiver
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Ok, looking for some guidance here.  Thinking about getting a GN bow quiver.  I have exclusively used my Cat II for years and will continue to.  However, there are times when I'm packing tree stand (Lone Wolf w/climbing rails attached) etc. where I think use of a bow quiver may work better.  I would still remove it once set up so my main questions is, how quickly/easily can the strap on quivers be put on and removed?  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Northern Longbow Quiver
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
I hunt with my quiver on the bow, but it only takes a couple of seconds to install or remove the quiver.  A nice feature on the way they are built, the arrows can stay in the quiver when you install or remove the quiver.  I have used GN quivers for many years and they work very well for me.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Thanks Frank!  That's what I'm hoping to hear, that removing and putting on is quick and easy.  Would you suggest the longbow or adjustable model?

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I like the strap on great northern.When I get in my stand I take it off & hang it on a hook.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I have the strap on longbow quiver for my single piece longbows, and I have the limb bolt adjustable quiver for my take down.  I can say that I love both of them, but can't give a fair comparison to a different brand, because I have never tried a different brand.  I never needed to look elsewhere for what I want.

Only thing I can say I don't like about both of them is the arrow placement of the 2 inner arrows.  For field tips, or judo/blunt heads it is fine, but I would be fearfull of having to pull a broadhead from there.  I'm affraid of either cutting my riser, string or worse yet, my hand.  So in my opinion you can only carry 3 broadheads, but do you really need any more than that?  Honestly, does anyone, besides Ted Nugent, need to go in the woods with a ton of arrows on their bow?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I just bought a Great Northern longbow quiver and in my opinion you won't find a better quiver for a longbow. I measured mine for a friend and there is 8 inches in between the top strap and the bottom strap. So depending on what bow you have, you may want to go with the adjustable model.

FYI...Rick is now offering a horse hide hood on his quivers as well as the usual cow hide he has used for years. The horse hide is a thinner, but stiffer,  and darker leather. I went with the horse hide as it matches my bow best. I will post up pics later. Typing from my phone right now.

Oh! And if you want to order the horse hide quiver, you will have to call Rick direct. Last I spoke to Rick, he still hadn't listed the new hood on his website, let alone had dealers start selling it.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Been using GN quivers fo.r many years,never a problem with them .Bulletproof as far as I am concerned.Very easy on and off,but my bows seem to shoot better with it on.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
They are some of the easiest quivers to take on and off a bow without unstringing it.
James Kerr

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Here are two pictures, one of my Critter Gitter with my new quiver and the other I took while up at Comptons talking to Rick of Great Northern Quivers.  It shows the contrast between the two hoods, the normal cow hide leather on the left and the new horse hide on the right.  As you can see, the horse hide quiver is a darker color and in person it appears almost "marbled" (for lack of a better term).  Hope that helps.  And like others said, this quiver comes off within seconds.  Very, very easy to take off and put back on.

-Jameson

Membership Secretary

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Butchie:
  Would you suggest the longbow or adjustable model?
The adjustable model is more versatile if you are going to use it on different bows.  No downside that I can think of.  I just checked their website, it costs the same as the fixed length longbow model.

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Frank Warnke:

Originally posted by Butchie:
  Would you suggest the longbow or adjustable model?
The adjustable model is more versatile if you are going to use it on different bows.  No downside that I can think of.  I just checked their website, it costs the same as the fixed length longbow model. [/b]
Agreed.  Like I said in my first post, there is roughly 8 inches in between the top strap and the bottom strap.  Get a tape measure and hold it up to your bow.  See if that 8 inches will put the straps where you want them.  If not, go with the adjustable model.  If so, then go with the non-adjustable model.  Rick will tell ya that they originally designed those quivers around their bows.  My non-adjustable longbow model GN quiver works perfectly on my GN Critter Gitter and sits so that it doesn't cover up any of the writing, whereas the Thunderhorn I had did.  Look at the picture of my bow and you will notice that they are designed so that the bottom strap is only about an inch or so under the handle and not down on the fadeouts quite as much as other bow quivers.

Again, I think it is the best bow quiver on the market, but that is only my opinion.  I've owned a Selway and a Thunderhorn also.  Recently sold them both after I got the Great Northern quiver and don't regret it at all.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Breakfast Boy, the new hood looks nice.  I like the darker, marbled color.

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Thanks Frank.  I agree.  It looks really cool and will match some bows nicely.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I love GN quivers.  Light, easy to use, and priced right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©