3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Muck Boot- Which one?  (Read 340 times)

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
Muck Boot- Which one?
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I'm getting ready to get myself my first pair of Muck Boots and I am down to two different pairs, Wetlands or the Woody Max. I'll be hunting in Kentucky only from September through January. Where I live its not flat and I have to do alot of climbing.

So which one would you guys suggest for the Kentucky environment, climate and comfort?

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Muck Boot- Which one?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I have to be real honest. I have the woody max and absolutly hate them. I dont like how tight they are on my calves and i dont think they have good ankle support. Just my opinion im sure others really love them but its somthing you should consider before laying down your money.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Remember the bad thing with boots is that every foot is different what you might like someone else will hate. I would try them on before buying or any boot for that matter. Mucks are good boots just have a little different fit. I like mine
Bull

Offline Fish Finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Never wore the wetlands but the max are very comfortable, no ankle support and depending on the size of your calves they may be tight. My calves measure 17 1/2" and I have no problems with them being tight.

Not sure if your lan is rocky with mounttains but if you do A LOT of rock climbing I'd opt for a lace up boot. If its only moderate I love my mucks.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
I've had woody max for several years and like them a lot.  They are insulated, however, and IMO would be too warm for Kentucky hunting any time of year if you do any amount of walking.  Wetlands would probably be better in Kentucky. They're comfortable to walk in, but they're not a mountain boot.  If you want/need a lot of ankle support, buy a lace up boot. None of the pull ons provide much ankle support. I have pretty big calves and the boots in the calf area are snug.  I consider that a plus.  Provides a little extra support for my legs, keeps the heat in, etc.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Wetlands - with 16 1/2" calves no problem

Ditto on no ankle support....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
I have the woody max and love them. However, here in Missouri I wear them in the mornings when it is cool in the early fall and switch to my other rubber boots for an evening hunt. They are too warm for me above about 50 degrees.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
I'm looking at the Artic Pro.or Woody Max  . Anyone try the Artic Pro ?
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I had the woody max.comfort was not a problem but durability was, the briers tore them up in no time.Not talking bad about Muck brand boots thay have thair place.I am very hard on boots.

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Jeff,i'm in the eastern part of the state and hunted in the Wetlands last year and was well pleased with them.I think the Woody Max are heavyer and better insulated but the Wetlands kept my feet warm and dry,but thats just me,as they say(your milage may vary).

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Junk boots as far as I'm concerned. My son and I both bought pairs and within first month of use both pairs had big hole ripped through them from sticks in bush. One of my moose hunting gang had same thing with his first hour he wore them. Lacross alphas etc will outlast them 10 to one. Ok for back yard but that is about it as far as I'm concerned. Bad Fad.
hunt it

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Jeff  I have the men’s classic high by Bogs and love them they are the most comfortable scent free boots I’ve ever worn .they don’t have a heel which allows you to walk a little more quietly .and I’ve had no problem going up or down the hills in southern Ohio with them.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
NONE OF THEM!!!
Tried em twice. two different models.
Both leaked like a sieve..supposed to have a "gortex-like" liner.
Both had soles that cracked completely through to the foot bed in multiple places where they bend at the toe.

Two of my friends had that problem too with their all rubber Muck boots.

Don't Muck around.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
Have walked near a hundred miles in my Muck Wetlands, with much upland hunting through nasty stuff. No leaks, no damage and I love the Muck boots.

so there.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
limbolt,

Where you from? I'm in Clay County.

I have to say that I am not that hard on stuff, and I have never encountered a briar thicket here around where I hunt that I will be tromping through that would damage a boot. Actually for me to damage a boot or shoe I'd have to go with that intention. I also don't make it habit to go wading much. If I do I pick the right spot to cross.

I am mainly concerned with the comfort for long walking or standing and the climate variation. There can't be anything worse than those Rocky Bearclaws I wore last year.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
Don't say can't - these boots are not for long walking. If you are looking for top quality rubber boot that is light and will never let you down buy a pair of LeChameua boots. Will cost you double a pair of Mucks but will last forever. I have two pairs and one is over 20yrs old and still as new - rubber has fadded some but still soft as ever and best stalking boot I have ever worn. They make them from the purest rubber going - all one piece and feel like going barefoot. They have reasonable support and will never let you down. They are hard to find in some areas but upland bird hunting stores carry them.
hunt it

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
what about the XTRATUFs? Anyone used them for hunting?

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
P.M. sent.

Offline Fish Finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Ive had mine for 7 years...I use them year round.  Iv e walked endless miles in them with ZERO problems.  They fit like a sneaker, walk like a boot, and keep me dry like my hip waders.

I havent found a better boot for all around purposes...if they could add some for of a velcro/elastic ankle support that can be added when needed like an ankle brace ont he exterior Id buy stock in the company!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
I have the wetland model! I like them but they tend to get really warm during turkey season, next year I'll probably go back to a low insulate lace up.

Cant wear them through pickers but I love the boot for a swamp, snow walking and striper fishing. I cant wait to see what they will be like in late fall/early winter

I sweat easily in them though but still like them!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©