3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: QUIVERS !! (The Disease)  (Read 692 times)

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
QUIVERS !! (The Disease)
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Whoever named the quiver may have been on to something. Is it really the name of that item designed to hold our arrows? I'm not sure.
I think it best describes the reoccurring symptoms I get about every other year as I journey through my never ending quest for the "Perfect" Quiver.
I am just starting to recover from my most recent bout of this dehabilitating disease.
Whenever this disease flares up, I doubt every quiver's ability, in my possession for being the "Right", the "Perfect", and the "Best". I get possessed with reading everyone's post on their favorite Quiver. I search the Archives. I Google like crazy looking for that next perfect Quiver. This mad Quest for knowledge can range from a week to a month or more. These symptoms end when I think I have found the nest "Holy Grail" of quivers. The next series of symptoms of events vary somewhat. They either start out with me collecting all of my unpure, and imperfect quivers to remove them from my environment. I'll dispose of these quivers by selling, and trading them to another infected TradGanger. This phase of the disease can also start with my quest to research the best Price for my next "perfect" quiver. Once I have my "Perfect" quiver in my hands the symptoms  disappear as quickly as they appeared. I'm certain I have found the cure for the "Quivers" because, this time I know I found the "Right", "Perfect", and "Best" Quiver ever created. Now that I'm cured, I may start a Support Group for the not so fortunate TradGangers who still battle this horrible disease that I refer to as the "QUIVERS".
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: QUIVERS !! (The Disease)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Well sign me up.....I've sure got the disease.  The way I've been fightin' it is to just buy the materials and make my own.  It's only a little cheaper, but takes longer to make one than to buy one.  

So when does this Support Group start meetings ?  :archer:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Every year I go through the love/hate thing with my bow quiver! Love the freedom of an uncluttered bow-but!!
I have made and bought numerous side quivers which are great; but what about the back pack, binoculars and other stuff with straps that drapes over the shoulders?? So out comes the lovable/despicable one?!
Yeah, maybe a support group?

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
You guys I found recovery, acceptance, and inner serenity.  I chased that "quiver high" for too many years.  I realized that there is nothing that will replace that first quiver.  If you name a quiver, I have owned it, sometimes for less than a few hours!  

I have come to an acceptance of just using the one.  Perfection, like most things in life, simply cannot be obtained in a quiver.  I have found inner peace with only the one.  

For guidelines PM me for the 12 step program I developed to decrease "quiver anxiousness", and "just one more quiver" stinking thinking.  Donations are accepted!
Longbows & Short Shots

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I think every archer goes through this. There is no "perfect quiver". I did own a Blacktail recurve that had the riser inserts in it. I put a side mount Thunderhorn on that bow and loved the solid connection to the bow.
I now have bows that don't have the riser inserts. So for the TD's I'm going with the Great Northern. Don't like the looks of them as much. But they are relatively light weight, solid in their connection, and will do the job.
Can't stand side quivers, back quivers, etc. They are ok for 3D shoots. But I want minimal movement if I need to get an arrow from quiver to bow. I also dislike having to deal with a separate quiver when hiking through brush in the mountains.
Yep, no perfect quiver...but like the song said..."you can't always get what you want, but if you try some time you just might find, you get what you need".
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I hate quivers, all of them, i wish i could stalk to an animal and then reach into the air and pull out an arrow but i wish for a lot of things that cant happen so i am always looking for the quiver that i dislike the least. I think i have found it but time will tell.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I like my Anawakee Slim Jim and Pro Quivers.  Very well made, solid on the bow and does not make any noise on the bow when shooting. Also, easy on and off the bow with the new quick detach system.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
I'm glad there is support on Tradgang.

"Least of the Worst"

I usually think that way during the election years.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
We make bow quivers in about all sizes, patterns and with different attachment systems. We have used warthog, carp, frog, snake, shark, stingray, horsehide, and cowhide. We think that there should be as many different bow quivers available as there are bows. We do this however with always the same goal of keeping the weight at a minimum without sacrificing quality.

"Travel Light With Eagle's Flight"      :archer2:

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
LOL! Good one - tell me the perfect one you got and save me some time, or should I wait until next year for yours in the classifieds?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
White oaks:  There are lots of "perfect" quivers.  I have a bunch of them. (LOL) Sort of taken to collecting back quivers. I use them as much for beautiful arrow storage receptacles and home decor as hunting or roving.  I have a particular type of leather side quiver I like for 3D shoots.  Always need at least one back up.  Also have found what for now is the holy grail of bow quivers for me--  Eagle's Flite strap ons and bolt ons -- on which I modify the lower bracket to accept a straight Selway gripper.  The best of both worlds. A person could have a worse addiction.    :bigsmyl:

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
2Fletch.
You make some fine quivers.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Don't like bow quivers....but I think I may use one for Elk hunt in Colorado in a few weeks. Just seems to be the easy thing to do. Grab the bow and your ammo is right there. Nothing handing off you, can carry a pack or pack meat out and still have your bow and arrows at hand. I just don't know, I guess I have the "quivers" also!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Ron W,

That's the first step to recovery.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Well, I've had bow quivers, side quivers, back quivers, hip quivers and plains style quivers. You'd think I would be immune to this Quivers disease!   "[dntthnk]"
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
QUIVERS are worse than I imagined. I wonder if the CDC is aware of this epidemic.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
i thought I was over my quiver obsession until I got myself a Zipper Quiver, now my back quivers will just be target quivers.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Well, you could do as my friend and bear guide Eldon Jandreau in Maine does--just carry one arrow in your hand with your longbow and be done with quivers--seriously.  Not only is he sure of his shot when he takes it, he's a deadeye.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Well, you could do as my friend and bear guide Eldon Jandreau in Maine does--just carry one arrow in your hand with your longbow and be done with quivers--seriously.  Not only is he sure of his shot when he takes it, he's a deadeye.
That is confidence right there!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I have a shrew back quiver. I chose it because it looked durable and traditional. I love it. It is everything I thought it would be. But it is a back quiver with all the pit falls of a back quiver. How many times have you been in the zone, everything is right, your a cat, predator extreme, you bend over just enough to clear a low hanging limb and your arrows get hung up in the foliage, rattle around and deer spook in the next county????? I kind of do a mutated version of what David Mitchell says his Bear Guide does. I stalk until I see something, hide behind a tree and shuck my quiver and continue with one arrow. Oh yeah, continue with one arrow, like a cat. Smiley face goes here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©