3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunt...dogs or bait?  (Read 204 times)

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear hunt...dogs or bait?
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I'm in the beginning stages of planning a black bear hunt.In exploring my options, I can't decide if I want to go north and hunt over bait, or go south and hunt behind hounds.I don't want an ethics debate, I have no problem hunting bears with either method.I'm just curious which one is "funner"!I'm leaning towards hounds, but I'd like to hear some of your experiences.

Shane

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear hunt...dogs or bait?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Shane having done both, they are both fun! I know that doesn't help you. Running behind dogs is a thrill and will test your stamina. Hunting over bait is also a thrill and will test your patience. That is a tough one for sure.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Yeah, thats pretty much where I'm at!I keep going back and forth.The only reason I'm leaning towards hounds, is because I do a lot of deer hunting from a stand, and chasing hounds would be a tad bit more proactive,and a completely different experience.But,I've never bear hunted and want to make a good decision.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I have only hunted over bait, but it was a blast. If you hunt over bait you will get to see more bear behavior and possibly make choices about which bear you want to shoot. Behind dogs there may be choices, but you likely won't get to see bears interacting with each other.

I can see benefits of both, but I genuinely believe baiting will give you more "experiences" with bears in the end. It is your choice, but with baiting you may see things you would otherwise go a lifetime without experiencing.

Good luck choosing and have fun!

:archer2:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
I spent a couple of days with some dog hunters in this state a while back.  There was very little running through the woods with the dogs.  All had electronic collars on their dogs and trailed them from their trucks.  When the dogs treed a bear, a few folks would go in to see if it was one they wanted to shoot.  In Wisconsin, the limit is 6 dogs on the trail at once.  Usually, a dozen or more would be put on a trail.  They spent an awful lot of time chasing down lost dogs. Dogs seemed to be barking all the time, in the woods, from kennels in the trucks, etc.  Pure pandemonium. Don't know if this is the way others do it.  Just know it's not my cup of tea.

One other big difference between the two is when you hunt.  Dog hunters are up well before daylight, checking if their baits were hit.  Usually, they're done hunting by noon, when the temps often get too hot .  (They've already run all their dogs by then as well).  With bait hunting, baiters often freshen the baits in mid-morning and don't start sitting them until late afternoon.  At least that's the way most do it around here. For what it's worth.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Flip a coin. Do one this year and the other next   :thumbsup:

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
I like the way Jesse thinks   :thumbsup:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Yeah,I kinda do too! $ issues may make it one this year, one 3 years from now lol.

Offline dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Yeah, that's what I say. Do Both! again and again.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Have only hunted over bait,but loved it.Wanting to do it again
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
do both and then add a canadian or alaska spot and stalk in there. thats my plans anyway. i took a 300lb boar the first day hunting over bait and really want to spot and stalk one. Though i come from a dog running background from deer before it was outlawed to hogs,squirrels and coons. I think taking a bear and a big cat would be a blast and lots of hard work with the dogs.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I would say dogs in the mountains out west.  Chasing a bear for a few miles behind a houndsman and his four legged partners is a wonderful way to experience the chase.

I haven't hunted over bait yet, however I can't see it differing that much from deer hunting.  Better yet is a spot and stalk bear hunt.  

California is loaded with bears by the way.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
bait,just like the peace and quite.Plus its just you and the bears. Not a bunch of barking dogs and people.Just my opinion.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »
Only done it over bait. Sure was fun. I'm sure there is a place for the dogs. But I'm sticking with bait. Try both like mentioned above!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©