3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad ruined it for me.  (Read 358 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad ruined it for me.
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Well, traditional hunting has officially ruined it for me.  I made the trek to cedar point this week and on the way home I talked my wife into a foray into cabelas in Dundee, MI. I spent about an hour in there looking at mounts and then we left. I found more interesting things to buy the last time we went to goodwill.  I guess now that I don't use all the crazy gadgets out there I'm not gonna make the trip anymore.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad ruined it for me.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I go to Washington DC every couple of months. I don't even bother to go to Bass Pro in Baltimore or down in Richmond anymore. I don't buy anything. Glad to know it is not just me.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I have Cabelas and Scheels in addition to sportsman warehouse. I bought a shirt last time in Cabelas. This sport isvwaaaaybsimple.  No gadgets except for the ones we use in making arrows.  Guess we trad shooters are the cause ofvthe economic downturn
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I noticed the same thing the last time I was in Cabela's. I guess that's why I left with only fishing and camping things. The last time I went to a Bass Pro and ask for a #70 recurve they looked at me funny.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Yeah same here.  I don't use the big retailers much anymore.  A very little bit of fishing stuff (although, using mostly glass and cane rods, there isn't much there that I need/want), and maybe some boots occassionally.  That's about it.
Silence is golden.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
I know what you mean.  The last time I was in Bass Pro, I asked to look at a couple of different recurves and longbows they had on the rack behind the counter.  The kid I asked said: "Oh, those are antiques, we just have them up there for show."  I said, "I guess that means you don't have any cedar shafts, then, huh?" He says, "I don't know of that brand." Nice.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by looper:
I know what you mean.  The last time I was in Bass Pro, I asked to look at a couple of different recurves and longbows they had on the rack behind the counter.  The kid I asked said: "Oh, those are antiques, we just have them up there for show."  I said, "I guess that means you don't have any cedar shafts, then, huh?" He says, "I don't know of that brand." Nice.
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Don't look for much in the way of hunting in Cabela's anymore but they have fine fly rods.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Funny!  I'm the same way!  I still try to make a fuss to my wife about how we need to make the hour-drive to Cabelas every few months... but it's really just to protect my "territory".  We go there... but I just don't buy any hunting stuff there anymore.  My wife does find nice skirts, though.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
I went to gander mountain and saw a bear montanna, sitting on the floor. I asked how much they wanted for it and they said I can make you a good deal on this. I saved a lot of money on the bow. I told the salesman, this bow may not mean much to some but it means the world to me, no need to go back nothing but compounds.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
When I need to buy archery equipment I shop online or by phone at 3rivers or one of the trad shops but I don't have anything against Cabelas because of that.  I like to visit the store in Dundee.  I will be going there next weekend to look at the new Leverage ladder stand.  I have always liked their clothing better than anywhere else.  IMO we need large companies like them that support hunting; there are enough out there that don't.  Case in point; Staples provides wifi and you can access the internet on their display computers but if you try to access a hunting or gun site it is blocked.  PC stinks!  These days trad hunting is a specialized endeavor and I like it that way.  Those who shoot for gold in the Olympics don't buy their equipment at Cabelas either.  Doesn't make Cabelas bad.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
I'm a little lucky because there are two Gander Mountain stores near me and both have a "trad" man that works there. Both men have "gray hair" so they're very familiar with recurves and longbows.

I checked out their 20 yard indoor shooting range in both stores and there are quite a few ILF target shooters who shoot at both stores.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
I don't have a Cabelas or a Gander Mtn very close. With in two hours drive. So I never went to the stores much anyways before trad. I have noticed there are alot more 3rivers boxes from the mailman than cabelas these days. Nothing against them they just dont have what I need. I'm sure I will still buy somethings from them. But it won't be for archery.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 03:29:00 AM »
Not saying cabela's is bad. Just not a whole lot there that interests me now that I've gone back to basics. The mounts in Dundee are awesome.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »
I had a local Bass Pro store when I lived in Orlando, but it didn't take me long to shop them out far as hunting needs go. They seem to stock the basics and not many specialty items.

I had to find 99% of the things I wanted online. Now everything I get for hunting is online.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
I go into the Gander Mountain here in fredericksburg once a month due to club business & down to the Bass Pro in Richmond maybe 3 times a year as an instructor & each time since I've returned to Trad I don't even look in their archery sections or clothing sections. they do have some decent fishing & camping supplies.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
welcome home brother.......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
The only time I use the Gander Mountain store is for the 5" right wing Gateway parabolic white colored feathers they carry when I need a few feathers in a hurry.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Kinda funny how it works out huh? By this I mean, to get into one of the oldest methods of hunting you almost have to do your shopping on the bestest most fastest internet equipped whizbang out there! JMHO. Mike
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
I hear you.  I have a BP about 5 minutes from my work, but hardly go anymore.

As a favor to a friend who is just getting into hunting (not trad yet), I'm going to a big "hunting expo" today.  Used to get excited about those, but now I just want to go to one of these dang trad shows, which all happen to be at least 600+ miles from my house!  I will look at stands and taxidermy I suppose.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©