3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: vario clipper  (Read 212 times)

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
vario clipper
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Is the vario clipper better than the lil chopper?

I have a lil chopper but it can only be adjusted so much. I have a pope young cut that has a high profile at 5".

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: vario clipper
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Neuse

Don't have a vario as they are no longer made, but do have a "HH" knock off of a vario that was made by an old TG member and they are far superior IMO then the lil chopper.  Had 3 lil choppers and sold 2 once I got my "HH" chopper.  Only kept the third because it it a 4" chopper which is what I use for kids arrows.  PM me if you want the info. as he is no longer a member nor a sponsor, even though he was both for a long time and just recently left.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Vario is back in business again.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I have both, and much prefer the Vario.  The Vario is a little slower to use, as you have to insert the quill into a slot, but because of that, you get much more consistent cuts.

It's noticeable; I've had people remark about my feathers and wonder where I got them.  They're surprised when I tell them I chopped them myself, especially if they also chop their own feathers.  I just use a standard shield cut, but the Vario chops it very well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
PM sent East Coast Archer.

Thank yall for the info.

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Pete, do you know who is selling the Vario now, and do the carry the foam strips that hold the feather in place?

Thanks Rick

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
i have a few of both.  imo, though the vario is somewhat easier to use, and cuts faster/cleaner, any li'l chopper can be coaxed to work just fine at about 1/4 to 1/3 the vario price tag.  these dayze i'd rather burn feathers, and with the coming advent of young burner #4 i'll burn 4" 4-fletch nanners, too, and give up chopping ... well, maybe for now, maybe for good - who knows or cares.   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
i have a few of both.  imo, though the vario is somewhat easier to use, and cuts faster/cleaner, any li'l chopper can be coaxed to work just fine at about 1/4 to 1/3 the vario price tag.  these dayze i'd rather burn feathers, and with the coming advent of young burner #4 i'll burn 4" 4-fletch nanners, too, and give up chopping ... well, maybe for now, maybe for good - who knows or cares.      :D    
I think the chopper's biggest downfall is the "hump" that often appears towards the tip.

This happens when the base rolls while chopping.

Part of the "coaxing" I think (and might be wrong) Rob is referring to is trimming the base to length before chopping so you don't actually cut the base with the chopper.

Doing this really worked for me.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
I wonder if gluing a strip of foam, say 1/4" wide, on the inside of the cutter edge would help the chopper? This way when you bring the top down onto the feather it would hold the quills in place when you chop the feather....?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Does anyone know who deals in the Vario? Can only find the Longbow shop in England.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Herb's in Canada makes Vario/Vario duplicates and parts. I believe Git R Done also carries parts, also Canadian too.

In reality once you buy the base a Vario doesn't cost any more than a LC. Vario blades were cheaper than a LC. I think they cost about the same now.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »
Herb's parts are interchangable with the Vario brand, and virtualy identical.
 Dennis at Git-r-donearchery in Calgary has Vario's, and I think he has some of Herbs there too.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Byron

Responded back.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
I wonder if gluing a strip of foam, say 1/4" wide, on the inside of the cutter edge would help the chopper? This way when you bring the top down onto the feather it would hold the quills in place when you chop the feather....?
Hi Snag,
The lil choppers come with about a 1/2" square strip of foam that lies flush with the length of the inside of the blade. It looks and feels much like the coils of adhesive backed door seal foam you can buy at the hardware store.

Not sure if they always came this way as I bought my first chopper just a few months ago.
I was getting the hump in quite a few feathers until I started pre-cutting to length so the chopper only cut the feather vanes.

On a side note, I found that since I was pre-cutting, I could cut a bit long and sand down the base to length at an angle so I got a really nice/smooth shaft to feather transition.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Good idea Zradix!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©