3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A challenge to us traditional guys  (Read 1344 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A challenge to us traditional guys
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Right On The Money! That being said I still love my .243 Winchester Longbow and my .50 cal Muzzlecurve. .. Respect is the key. Understanding others is a true art.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I like ethical hunters.

Aside from my frustration with the inclusion of crossbows into bowseason, I strive to NOT judge another hunters choice of gear. I have compound hunting friends, and we don't tease each other about it at all. As close as we have come to a disagreement is that I have politely given my opinion on bolt on compound gear that takes batteries.

I will take an ethical compound hunter over some guy hunting with a longbow just because he looks good in a fedora and plaid everytime.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
I'm glad the overall response is a good one, to be honest i was a little concerned that the topic might go downhill, but once again happy with the gang's response. I think a little joking and teasing is all fun and good when done in good spirits, I tease my compound buddies and they tease me about different little things but it's all good natured. As far as my friend goes I think his point was more to the effect that what gear you shoot kind of puts you in a family. We can and do intermingle but Its seems that you spend a lot of time around the guys that shoot as you do which is normal. So more than just his feelings being hurt he was put off by the group (trad guys) who would essentially be his new close family. So even if we run into guys that deserve no respect and/or there even nasty to us, we should still be the better men(and woman) and work on giving the trad community a reputation as being guys of outstanding character. With the very large group of us on tradgang I think its a great place to start building that reputation. As I said before I am thankful some of the best guys I know are already in our group and are very proactive in reaching out to others which has served as a great example to me in how to conduct myself. There's a few different trad guys I know that when they walk into the local archery shops their greeted with big warm welcomes from all because of there great attitude towards those who hunt with other kinds of gear. So at the end of the day how were perceived as a group is important and takes every one of us doing our part to change things as a whole. And my thanks again to all in the gang who are already doing so much good, you guys are great and keep it up.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Yeah, Mudd nailed it.  There really is no reason to knock how anyone hunts as along as it is legal and ethical.

I really don't like the idea of lumping people i.e. 'compound hunters"  "gun hunters" etc.  So many people use multiple methods and generalizing about any group is unfair and counterproductive.

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
As one more side note I of course think we can disagree with compound,gun, and crossbow guys on things like season's, what should and shouldn't be allowed and all sorts of different things, I do myself. But there is a way to debate and discuss and do things in a manner that is not degrading or making unnecessary enemies or drawing lines in the sand. And actually gaining the resect of those people will ultimately give us more pull when it comes to those discussions.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I was brought to believe that your business stopped with the end of your nose… and the other fellow’s started with the tip of his nose…

I don’t really care how someone hunts or even if they hunt, that is their business; just don’t tell me how I have to hunt or not hunt…

Same thing goes for bows, I could care less what bow you shoot or don’t shoot, just don’t tell me what I have to use..

Folks need to learn that it ain’t none of your business until it hits you in the nose…
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more with you Boone, only a couple things I would add to this discussion.

I love to hunt, period. Even though I'm going full out traditional this year, I spent 26+ years in the woods with a wheel bow in my hands and wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything.
My switch to all traditonal was just a personal choice and I don't look down upon anyone for what weapon they choose as long as it's legal.

I also love my guns and I'll never give them up and I'll never sit out a part of the season because there's "too many guns" in the woods. Even though I would much rather bow hunt than anything else.

Bottom line is we are all Hunters with the exception of some and they know who they are so we won't include them in this reply. But the guys who care about the wildlife, our sport, and conserving it for future generations should all be on the same page. I've even taken up for some shotgunners in a few posts on TG where somebody was bashing a group of shotgunners who were having a deer drive for screwing up his bow hunt. That's not right, I know it sucks but those guys have every right to persue their hunting season (as long as it's legal) just like us bow hunters do ours. We are all in this together and need to stick together or the antis win.

You should copy this link and send it to your friend, I'm sure he would be surprised at how most of us really feel about this topic.
Tell him not to let a couple of a-holes ruin his opinion of traditional archers because we all aren't like the group he ran into.

"We should all hang together or we will surely hang seperately." unknown
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I agree with Boone. Most my good hunting friends choose to shoot compound. I will never think for a minute I am a better hunter than any of them just because my weapon is different. Any one of them I promise you are as good a hunter as I or any of us. It is very true there are bad apples in all groups but us holding ourselves to a "Higher Standard" as Boone says is what I think TradGang is all about and a big reason I hang out with yall.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Great topic Boone!  I get quite upset when I hear one group "bashing" another group about their hunting styles.  I've considered myself a trad hunter for many years, but last fall after some shoulder issues I used my twenty-five year old compound to shoot a dandy 10 pt. and doe.  Did I feel remorse in using a compound...no way!  I'm a hunter, and even though I prefer my Bryan Holley Spirit longbow, I was tickled pink to be able to harvest a couple of nice deer.  My best hunting buddy (not counting my son Jay) strictly uses a compound and is one of the most ethical people I know.  It's truly a joy to help him track his deer, as he also helps me.  Share your time with good hunters and always encourage them to do their best and have fun.  That's what it's all about!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Well said, Boone.  Alienating others is not the way to make sure our sport continues to grow.  I used to shoot compound and now shoot traditional and yes I occasionally rib my compound shooting friends but they realize it's all in fun (besides they give as good as they get).  In my opinion, if it's legal to hunt with-use it.  As long as your hunting, or at least pro-hunting, you should be treated like a brother or sister.  TRW

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Well spoken Boone.
bolong

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I hate it when they get snobby with me, cause my bow's "slow" . . . the guys around here seem to have the exact opposite mentality here . . . the compound guys tease us, until they see me plop 5 arrows in a pie plate at 55 yards . . . then they generally shut up.
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
I have never had anyone shooting a compound give me grief. The last compound shooter that commented said to his son "That man is shooting a real bow." I am always happy to let anyone interested shoot my bow and they usually take me up on the offer. As far as pro shops are concerned I only deal with one and he is as happy to see me as his compound guys. Maybe I am just lucky.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
The only place I see this problem is on these internet sites.  I don't see these problems in the real world because I'm not hanging around with people who must feel superior.

Feeling superior is not related to what bow you shoot, or what the size of your parachute is.  Feeling superior is a human condition which transcends which group you belong to and is more a function of group psychology in general.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
What mud said . And what alot of guys said. If Im not shooting my sticks Im shooting one of my varmint rifles. Was in a sport shop one time and this guy was putting sown hunting with rifles ect. He said that theres no sport in hitting somthing at 400 yards . I ask him if he ever hit any thing with a rifle at 400 yards . He never  been hunting just shot his bow at targets. We are all hunters and it all takes practice. And we can't walk on water.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
i see that all time, beind still a compound guy and traditional both. i even see it on this site often.... i compare it to flyfisherman and spin fisherman. being a hardcore flyfisherman i have since turned my back on flyfishing since all they fly guys look down there nose at spin fisherman.. so now i strickly spin/bait fish. i have see it countless times at shoots as well. but i have also seen compound guys do the same, esp to female trad archers... we are all in the same game. our equipment choice should make no dif...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
I know what u r say ing agree..  very good post.

btw  I hate the word traditional  or whatever.......I'm a bowhunter..thats all..i hunt with a bow...not a compound, not a recurve or longbow....just a bow.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
as a matter of fact none knows i hunt with a recurve..i mean obviosly u guys do and the guys i hunt with, but in conversation or at the check station  i dont say anything about my weapon...its bow season and i killed it with a bow...thats it.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
Both my sons hunt with compounds and I have no problem at all with what someone else uses. My younger son loves to shoot both his longbow and recurve but doesn't feel confident enough shooting at game with them yet.
GLENN

Offline snakebite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Boone, Very well said.  :campfire:  Let us all set and enjoy life as it was ment to be. God Bless, Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©