3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Perssimmons  (Read 371 times)

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
Perssimmons
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I've got an cornfield edge that has approx. 20 perssimmon trees, all within 200yds from each other.  They range from 10' - 30' tall.  The are LOADED with perssimmons this year.  To the point that the limbs are hanging down within 2-3' off of the ground.  

Last year the was very little perssimmons being produced.

During what time of year do they turn ripe enough for deer to start eating them?  Has anyone had success hunting over perssimmons?

I've never hunted a poperty that has had perssimmons on it and this place is wrapped up w/ perssimmon all along the field edge.

Mike
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Perssimmons
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I was always taught to not eat a persimmon off a tree until after the first couple of frosts.  I have never seen where deer bothered the ones on the ground until they were orange and soft.  Sadly, the land I hunt has few persimmons on it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
when they rippen on the ground deer will gather. you have a good spot wish i could find some around here food of the gods

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I have had good luck hunting persimmon trees over the years. As stated above, they have to be ripe and even starting to rot on the ground before deer will eat them. Most of the deer I have harvested on persimmons are usually spooky when they first come in, let them settle down before making your shot.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I have heard the same thing, after a frost they begin to fall and the deer tear them up. I have one tree where I hunt and it is a pretty wimpy persimmon tree, the persimmons are pretty high so I can't comment on them eating off the lower limbs earlier or not. Good luck sounds like you have a decent spot this year!!

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Persimmons are like cotton candy to those deer. I agree with the above stated it has to be after the frost. They are super bitter before hand. Ive got alot of persimmons on a farm I hunt but they all seem to be males so they arent putting on any fruit. Youve found a super spot! Stick with it and Id say it will be a great producer! Good luck.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
 Most of the deer I have harvested on persimmons are usually spooky when they first come in, let them settle down before making your shot.
I will keep that in mind.   :thumbsup:  

I set up a loc-on two weeks aga on the field edge.  I've got a shooting lane to the edge of the field and some inside the woods that is well enough for some shots.  I hope my pre-season efforts pay off when the perssimmons start hitting the gournd.  :pray:  

Is anyone else ready for October!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by SheltonCreeker:
Ive got alot of persimmons on a farm I hunt but they all seem to be males so they arent putting on any fruit.
Yeah, I have probably 30-35 or so total.  But approx. 20 of those are the ones bearing fruit.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
They are more than bitter when unripe.

Several years age we were at my aunts and my mom told my cousin who was with us to taste one, (fresh off the tree in late summer), "they are really good".

So he gets one and takes a big bite. See, they have an astrigent effect and he could barely talk.

"An Wuf ow cu yu do at"!!!? Translates to, "Aunt Ruth how could you do that!?"

Mom was rolling on the ground!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
After first heavy frost or a few light frosts
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Here in the south they eat them the minute they fall on the ground.  The wild persimmons are finishing bearing in the very start of our October archery season.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I keep mine fertized 50-50 do the whole drip edge every other spring. Your trees will always be hanging full. Those years the mast fails watch out. They clean them up quick.
 The deer just love them in NOV after a couple frosts. The doe's hit them hard durning the pre-rut.I have a couple calling sites set up for those bucks that come looking for does.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I once shot a nice buck coming into a wild persimmon tree. It was October.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Late October thru mid November for Missouri...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I hunted a piece of property several years ago that had a few persimmon trees on it and once the fruit turned ripe the deer came to them in droves.  With the number of trees your talking about you should be in for a heck of a season.  I'd say good luck but I don't think you'll need it, so I'll say "make sure and pick a spot."  TRW

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
They will ripen and fall without a frost.  Fox, coyotes, armadillos, dogs, coons, possums and other critters will eat them as well.  The critters know when they are ready.   :)

Sounds like you have nice location.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Yep in November around here. The more rain the earlier. Most likely be early here this year as we have had lots of rain. When ripe the coons will climb up and eat most of them.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
They usually start dropping early to mid September here in the River bottoms I hunt. Deer and pigs as well as coons and such will come running. They usually drop before any kind of acorn down here and when you find a good one in the swamp its sweet. They do fall out fast. In late Sept on good persimmon years you can follow pig trails from one tree to the next for miles in the swamp.RC

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
in mississippi they drop early oct, which is perfect timing! campbell, in your case, you got a gold mine but the only downfall , in my opinion, would be too many producing in such a little area. it may have the deer "scattered". i've hunted an area kinda like you got, where there are several trees grouped in an area an the deer (most of the time) seem to not pick the tree i was  sitting by! imagine that.. check for deer tracks, deer droppings, fresh persimmons on ground, etc and find the hot tree and you better have a quiver full of arrows!  good luck

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
One year I had a small 6 pointer come in to a persimmon tree about 10 yards away and he ate everyone on the ground. When he went and walked off about 20 yards or so, one single persimmon fell to the ground. He turned right around, went over to it and ate it then turned around and went on his way. I love hunting around persimmons.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©