3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2011 elk gear, tactics, preperation  (Read 480 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
2011 elk gear, tactics, preperation
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Its that time boys, all the miles running, walking around with a loaded pack in the hot summer temp, we need to sit back and reflect on all the work behind us and what lies ahead! I believe whole heartedly that i made my #55 Bear Montana a bonafide elk killer launching 675gr(total arrow wt), 160gr STOS tipped KK German Pine shafts! This being my first elk hunt ive shot more seriously than i have in years! i feel great after all the training that ive been doin, and feel that my cardio is where it needs to be penetrate deep into our targeted wilderness area! As far as elk tactics, i believe that itll be alot of glassing of drainages and open parks to try and find elk travel tendencies, and maybe a little waterhole sitting during mid day! Interested in seeing how everyones been preparing, equipment used new or old, etc!

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2011 elk gear, tactics, preperation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Good luck.

Where are you hunting at?
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
CO GMU 71

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Going on my first in Colorado also. Bumped up my cardio, shooting everyday. Shooting a Holm Osprey longbow 52# @ 30 62" long arrows @ 600 gr. with Magnus 2 blades. Can't wait to go.......it won't be long now!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Most of my physical training involves riding a bike - been bumping up the mileage and pushing hard to increase speed for extra cardiovascular and leg workouts.  22 miles yesterday.
Shooting the bow as much as I can mostly at longer ranges so when that bull steps out broadside at 20 yards it will feel like a chip shot.
I'm pretty well set on my trusty RER LX, 57@29.  Gold tip front loaded shafts of about 620 total grains.  Only decision yet is what broadhead. Leaning toward Grizzlys, but also thinking my CLS head has some built in mojo.  
Elk fever is starting to burn me up!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
After a broken 5th metatarsel on my left foot in May I finally got back to walking last Thursday.  Back up to 5 miles in the mornings.  I shoot every day.  57@28 Big River D or 60@28 Big River R/D (when I get it back from John- fixing one of the nocks).  Arrows are CE 350, 29+", 100 gr. brass insert and Grizzly El Grande 160 w/ 125 gr adapter = 756 gr.

Can't wait.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
How about other gear? We are doin a bivy style hunt, im using a silyon tarp, Eureka bag and a ThermaRest sleeping pad! Bringin the jetboil along for meals, oatmeal each morning, jerky, dried fruit and maybe a pb tortilla during the day, and then a 2 serving Mountain House each night! With a little luck it wont be too long until we break the onion out, along with the instant mashed potatoes to enjoy with some fire cooked elk tenderloin!

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
I'll be taking my 52@28 Great Plains one piece again. Arrows will be Arrow Dynamics Trads with Tusker single bevel Concordes with a total weight of 580 grains. Was going to use Grizzly 160's but couldn't find any...elusive critters those Grizzlys    :rolleyes:

Offline bttsj1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »
I will be in 71 also, was slim pickins last year for me but the year before was good.
Doing a spike camp also.  Going earlier this year, I have several wallows on my gps that I'm going to check out midday.  Well thats the plan now but it usually goes out the window once I get there I find that I always want to see whats on the next mountain.
Border Black Douglas 54@28
Centaur 51@29

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by mnbearbaiter:
...Mountain House each night! ...
You probably already do this but re-package your meals and cereal packets into re-sealible plastic bags. Way less trash in camp and the bags can be used to store other trash if you have any. I even re-package all my trail bars. Two or three fit into one bag, quieter to open and no wrapper to take home.
You can also cook the meals inside them to save on having to wipe out your billy pot.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Don't forget to hang your food if you're in bear country.  I assume you'll be camping near a creek for water rather than carrying it in.  I've found nylon water bags (available from Campmore) to the best for carrying water from creek to camp.  And they pack very small when not in use.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Just finished fletching my elk arrows as my 7 year old daughter told me "tiger stripes Dad, go with tiger stripes".  So it's orange barred instead of my usual chartruese on my beman shafts, tipped with 100gr. inserts and Stos 160's being sent from my Dwyer Endeavor, 62@29.  Been hiking with a 40# bag of lime, but still don't feel overly confident that it'll overcome the fact that I'm a flatlander about to camp at 8000 feet!  Been studying Elknut's DVD's and practicing calling, but to be honest, this is the first time elk hunting, and I'm just pumped to get there, be there and take it all in.  Killing an elk, would just be the icing.  Good luck to everyone.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by jhg:

You can also cook the meals inside them to save on having to wipe out your billy pot.

Joshua
I wouldn't do that.  I've been considering BIB (boil in bag) meals but my research revealed that plastic "ziploc" bags aren't good for this.  In fact Ziploc has a warning that their bags melt below boiling point and don't recommend cooking your food in their bags, so some of that plastic is melting into your food.  Not good.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I'll be there for the first time also.  Unit 74, mid-September (only time all the crew can be there). Like NBK, I don't think any amount of cardio will prepare me, but I do feel like a new man with the exercise and pounds lost.  Just will have to get acclimated during the first few days.  I figure 18 days in the Colorado Rockies, with good friends, has to be worth some discomfort.  Getting an elk will be extra for me too.  

I'll be slinging Heritage 150's with 100 grain adapters glued to some greenie razorheads (with bleeders), about 550 grains total.  Bow is a Custom Bighorn, 52#S at my 26 1/5" draw.  Backup bow is an exact duplicate.

Not wanting to hyjack the thread, but if anyone wants to PM me with a general gameplan for mid-September i would appreciate it.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I'm down almost 50lbs since Feb.  Been runnin/biking/swimming almost everyday. I'm shooting all my bows well with broadheads.
Probably take all three:
58" 'tip TD recruve 74@27 shooting Beman Bowhunter and 150 Stingers
58" 'tip TD recurve 72@27 shooting CE Heritage 350 and 150 Stingers
56" Screaming Eagle Wolverine longbow 67@27 shooting CE Heritage 350 and 150 Stingers
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Congratulations Scott, 50#'s is huge.  I know the sacrifice - I'm down 35 so far and hope to make that 45 by the opener.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Been laid up with a ruptured achilles and just started getting on the bike. Still can't run and still walk a little funny but I am gonna give er hell in Idaho. Still got a month and a half! Taking my 58# centaur with grizzly stick alaskans and will either shoot the Skhotes I got from the st judes auction that were chris surtees or 2 blade zwicky deltas.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
We are going to camp at a trail head on the edge of a wilderness area. A couple of guys may bivy a night or two, but most will return to camp at night! Going to be a great time I feel. I think all five of us are Trad Gangers...3 from New York ,2 from Indiana.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Been swimming, biking, running to get ready for a little triathlon but mainly for the elk or mulie that needs that extra climb...

Taking my Talltines 56 at 29, Goldtip with 250 grains of Ace up front. Taking my secret weapon (my lovely wife) to spot for me and hopefully take some grip-n-grin pics. Gonna be fun!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Ive been walking with plate weights in my Dwight Schuh pack(total weight is 52lbs) for miles at a time on horse trails(the most rugged country around here), all the while trying to get a full break in on my Wolverine hikers ill be wearing! Ive loaded my pack with all the gear i plan to take and it weighs in at 44lbs, im guessing itll shed a few before the hunt, but if not its not as bad as id thought itd be! Im at that point now where for this last 6wks im goin to just push everything a little harder, more leg resistance on the leg workouts to get the most from my training to keep my body guessing! In response to an earlier post, i have each day broken down food wise and packed into an individual zip lock for that day, thats where the granola bar, and Mountain House wrappers will go also! We will have a cache spot in a distant spot where we will probably visit every 3-4 days to re supply, bathe in the creek, and unload garbage!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©