3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yukon Moose Hunt  (Read 517 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yukon Moose Hunt
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
A thread the other day got me thinking more about this again. So I googled Teslin Outfitters. This is what I found out for a 10 day hunt.

• Base price is $8,500.00

Harvest fee   $4,000.00   my moose
              $4,000.00   my husbands
Transport     $3,150.00   both + GTS
License/Tags    $525.00     "     "
                $315.00   another fee(?)
Flight/2      $2,500.00   round trip
[/list]
Hotel/Food      $200.00    (?)

That's a total of almost $23,600.00

I need to find out the cost for transporting the meat and possibly antlers back home. I would also want to bring home the hides.

Wolves and wolverines are free to hunt during the August hunts.

Next, talk my husband into it! He farms and August doen't have as much going on so that's a plus.

Bona
    B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
    Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
    TGMM Family of The Bow
    Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
    • Trad Bowhunter
    Re: Yukon Moose Hunt
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
    I had this all listed and looking nice. Didn't work.
    TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
    • Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
    Obviously I don't know what I'm doing.  :smileystooges:
    TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
    I would never turn my wife down on a proposition like that.
    Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
    • Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
    Our 25th is in April of 2012. He said he wanted to take me to Hawaii for our 25th. I think I would rather do this. He's not really a hunter though.
    TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
    • Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
    You need a boy friend ???  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
    Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
    Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
    Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
    United Bowhunters of Penna.
    Compton Traditional Bowhunters
    Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
    • Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
    Barb,

Go to Africa!!  Much cheaper and more critters.

Mike
    Mike Westvang

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
    You need another husband?  I'll go moose hunting with you!!!

Michael

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
    • Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
    Take me,take me   :wavey:  !!May have rough time convincing my wife.....but I could try!
    In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
    • Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
    23,000   :eek:  

I could go on a "big" hunt every year fro the next 10 years.
    Hope you and your husband find a suitable trip and congrats on your 25th   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
    Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
    Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
    I've been on a moose hunt and an African hunt. Take it from someone who has been there, GO TO AFRICA!!!! It will be half the price, Twice as enjoyable for you and your husband and you will have opportunities at 5 maybe 10 times the game.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
    PS, I'll go with ya!

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
    So, $23k?

Is that a deal?  I have no idea.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
    Wherever you end up going I sure wish you one heck of a great 25th (as long as it's hunting! LOL).

And whew!... I sure am glad I live in moose country even though they are not as big as the ones in the Yukon... or I might have to get a real job to afford to hunt them!
    May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
    Hope You have a great 25TH. But if your ever looking for someone on the side who LOVES to hunt and is really poor, I'm your man! And very descreat to boot. I wouldn't even tell my wife I was going moose hunting! LOL  Have a wonderfull time!
    GLENN (MWM)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
    I have been moose hunting in the Yukon and have a few observations.

1. It is a beautiful place to hunt, but August is well before the rut and you would be very unlikely to get a moose that would be close enough for a shot.

2. The accommodations in most of the Yukon hunting camps are fairly spartan and may not be what MY wife would prefer for an anniversary trip, even though she is a hunter too.

3. The hunting conditions can be very challenging with the rivers, lakes, mountains, rocks, willows, bogs, etc. I tore the medial meniscus in my knee on willows while riding horses on a moose hunt in the Yukon last year, and it cost me more than the hunt for the subsequent surgery. Besides, my knee will never be what it was before the hunt.

4. There is not much game on an area basis in the Yukon, so animal sightings are not usually very frequent. You will spend lots of time working hard for each animal you see.

5. You should probably forget about bringing home the meat. It is generally either not allowed or too much trouble and expense to be worthwhile.

6. The travel time to get to and from the Yukon actually took longer than traveling to and from the outbacks of Africa or Australia.

7. Good luck finding any wolves or wolverines to shoot. I never saw any up there. I could have shot a grizzly bear, but we were far away from camp on the horses and would have needed to pack the bear back before we could go again to look for moose, which would have meant I would not have enough time to hunt a moose.

8. On a per animal basis, an outfitted and guided moose hunt in the Yukon is about the most expensive hunt you will ever go on -- at least that has been the experience of the people I know who went -- and most of them failed to get any animal whatsoever.

I think Mike Westvang has a good idea. He has hunted moose too, and he accurately suggests that an African safari is the better way to go for the adventure you are seeking. Here are my reasons:

1. The game density is excellent.

2. There are many species of game and non-game animals.

3. The living conditions are outstanding, and you will be very comfortable in your accommodations and eat great food.

4. Every day is an exciting adventure where you always have the potential for getting a shot at another animal and seeing others that you may never have imagined to exist.

5. The cost on a per animal basis will be one of the least expensive outfitted and guided hunts you could ever do, and the total cost will be as low or lower than the moose hunt.

6. You will be practically assured of shooting multiple animals.

7. The travel will be relatively easy and comfortable, whether by vehicle or on foot after exiting the vehicle.

8. You will have experienced professional hunters and trackers who are absolutely amazing to see in action and who will take care of you and your kills.

9. You will have an experience of a lifetime that is like no other any place in the world, and it is disappearing at an alarming rate because of population growth and the political environment in most countries in the African continent.

The Yukon is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and a moose hunt there is a wonderful experience if it is on your "must do" list. But an African safari is an incomparable hunting experience if you have never been, and it also is not nearly as physically challenging as the Yukon and generally much more fun for those of us who are near the half century mark, as your anniversary count would suggest.

Besides the Yukon and Africa, have you considered Australia as a hunting destination? I really enjoyed my time there for a fraction of the cost of a moose hunt. I am glad I went on a Yukon moose hunt, but I have some doubts as to whether I will be eager to go again. I have been to Africa 6 times and to Australia once and can hardly wait to go back to both places! Moose are VERY difficult to get close enough to shoot with a traditional archery setup, although it definitely can be done under nearly perfect conditions. The rut is one of those conditions, and it does not start in the Yukon until nearly the middle of September. August is definitely NOT the month to go. I guess that would save you $8,000 when you didn't get any moose, if you consider paying less and coming home with nothing a good outcome!   :knothead:  I am not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful time on your 25th!   :thumbsup:  

Allan
    TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
    • Trad Bowhunter
    • Contributing Member
    « Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
    Who gets the "harvest fee"?  The outfitter?  On public land?  I think you can do much better if you look around.  Unfortunately, Canadian outfitters have a monopoly on non-resident hunting.  If you want to hunt in Canada, you need to hire an outfitter/guide.  That's why I don't hunt Canada.  Check out Alaska.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
    In the Yukon, $23,000 was about the price I researched, but for only one moose. 23K for two is a very decent price.

Something to think about...

Newfoundland has moose hunts at half that price and have the highest moose densities in Canada. Newfounbdland also has many whopper moose. The Yukon moose gets about 10-15 inches wider in the antler though from what I have read.

My dream hunt is also to float a river in the Yukon and shoot a moose, but I plan to go to Newfoundland instead in about 5 years. Then I can also do some other hunts for elk.

For your aniversary, maybe a Newfoundland moose hunt for $12,000 and then a trip to Hawaii? You could even drive on the trip to Newfoundland. Or a moose hunt in Newfoundland PLUS Africa? Lots of options!

Have fun! If you do hunt the Yukon for moose take tons of pics. That is a dream hunt for me that will likely never happen. Good luck!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
    • Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
    The news of how much it would cost to do the hunt that I had researched went over like a lead balloon. I'll look into your suggestions. Thank you all!
    TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
    « Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
    I too dream of that hunt but I think it will always be a dream for me.  Good Luck though. Hope you can make it happen.
    Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©