3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OTC Elk units in CO?  (Read 245 times)

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
OTC Elk units in CO?
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could steer me toward a decent unit for an OTC hunting area here in CO. I'm in Colorado Springs and don't really want to join the crowds again this year (my 2nd season) close to the city...I'm not asking for honey-holes or the like and I'm more than willing to travel a ways to get to some less crowded scenery. I'd really appreciate any suggestions from anybody and thanks in advance for any helpful replies.   :help:    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OTC Elk units in CO?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
I've been looking for the same information...

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
Paul, I've been told that unit 25 is pretty decent by a trust worthy source. I'm just looking for more suggestions from guys who may have more experience out here as this is my 2nd season hunting elk and I have only one hunting buddy who only wants to hunt the same place every time. I'm more of an explorer I guess...   :D

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
There are some decent OTC areas (and decent areas in most OTC units) but they take some time and effort to find and when you do find one it can only take a post or two on the internet to make them not so good.  It looks like you live in CO so you have the advantage of scouting new areas all summer and hunting different areas during the season.  Get out there and enjoy the search.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
There is a wealth of information available on the DOW website, harvest statistics, population estimations.
     Get on Google Earth look at some areas, talk to the local DOW Wildlife Manager.

I know it's tougher when your out of state but the information is out there to get you in a decent area with some critters.

There are no guarantees year to year the animals move around and it takes a while to learn new areas.

Good Luck, have fun, being in the Mountains during Elk season is a gift itself.

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I have never hunted 25 but have also heard some good things about it.  A couple of aquaintences of mine hunted it a few years back and got into plenty of elk.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I love checking out new places and I understand about a couple posts ruining a decent place. I'm just looking for a starting point. I think I feel a road trip coming on...  :)

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Anybody else?

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
How does a otc elk hunt work? Can a guy just drive out, buy a tag, and go hunting?
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
I have hunted 12 + 23. If you don't like crowds you better be prepared to do some hiking. I also hunted up around Deadman and didn't see nearly as many people (or elk).

JDunlap yep certain areas you can drive out and buy a tag over the counter and hunt the next day.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Thanks Wapiti, With my work right now its difficult to make any advance plans...If i see a few days coming free...I might decide to jump in the truck and take off...with a little planning of course.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
"Looking for a starting place."  Jeez.  How about living in CO?  LOL!!  Try Rampart Range Road.  I have always gotten into elk up there.  How about 551?  I have hunted it a few times.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Keith, I work a lot of hours and a lot of overtime, so it's hard for me to get out there and scout. Finally got some vacation time coming up though. I've hunted Rampart Range road and it was just too crowded for me with 4 wheelers all over the place and stuff. 551 is a draw area, but this week I'm gonna try to make it to the local DOW office and see what they have for leftover areas...Thanks for the suggestions all!   :campfire:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
62 and 421/41 are good OTC units. They get plenty of pressure, but early in the season they can be good if you get in before alot of the other guys.... Wide open spaces in there too and if you dont' mind hiking a bit you can get far away from people pretty quick.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Thanks Over&Under, I'll definitely look into those!

Offline RookieBwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Sorry I cannot be more help with units but I was traveling thru the state the last 2 weeks on a fantastic trip.. If you want pictures and a location I can PM or email you the details of the elk I found. Hate to ruin someone's spot publicly  :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." -Frank Clark

Voodoostik 58" 50@28"

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by JDunlap:
How does a otc elk hunt work? Can a guy just drive out, buy a tag, and go hunting?
Pretty much so.

Colorado has Elk almost everywhere. The main problem is many OTC areas are locked up by Private land.

Look in OTC areas containing Natl forests. I'd recommend the Routt Natl Forest area.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©