3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Lee Recurve  (Read 439 times)

Offline RustyJr

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob Lee Recurve
« on: July 25, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Ive been shooting a Bear Montana Longbow, but am interested in switching to a recurve, particularly a take down.  I've handled a Bob Lee recurve but have never shot one. It felt great in my hand but I didn't have an opportunity to shoot it.  I'm concerned mainly with hand shock.  Has anyone ever owned or shot one of these?

Thanks,
     RustyJr

Offline Casper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Lee Recurve
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
i own an shoot a bob lee sportsman to me i a great shoot but every one has a bow that they think is the best

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Hand shock is non-existant with the Bob Lee recurve. One of the smoothest shooting bows available. The Lee grip is exceptional. Great customer service. Not much else to say except call Rob (Bob's son) and discuss your order with him. He'll point you in the right direction.   :thumbsup:

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
I have a Bob Lee signature TD.

What is hand shock?

Does it hurt? My bow hand isn't even aware the arrow has left the bow. Every shot is like tasting real chocolate for the first time. Maybe I'm biased.

My bow only has two problems.

One is that it sometimes misses. I intend to talk to Rob and JJ about that at some point.    ;)  

And the other is that it makes me want another one even though I don't need one. I have no idea why.

If you draw over 29 and are over 5-10 I strongly suggest the 19" riser with the long limbs for a 64" AMO length. Smoooooooooooooooooth.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I love my bob lee.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
I've owned a 64" Bob Lee Signature Hunter TD (take down) recurve and there was "no" hand shock upon arrow release with either light or heavy arrows.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I own two Bob Lee bows, a new Sportsman and a used Signatur Hunter and they are both outstanding shooters.  I was experience a little pain in my left elbow, I shoot right handed, with another recurve of lower weight, but it went away when I started shooting the Bob Lees.  Very smoooooth and no hand shock.  You will be hard pressed to beat their customer service, just excellent people to deal with.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
If you've handled a Bob Lee recurve, then you must like the grip, so it has already passed one test for you.  There is some variation in standard grips among the top-notch bowyers, and people tend to like one bowyer's grip better than another's.

Bob Lee is among the top handful of bowyers in the USA, and I own several.  There is no hand shock, that I am aware of.

I don't believe I would ever sell or trade any of the Bob Lee bows I currently own.  Which is not to say that you're going to be delighted with the first one you buy.  You might decide it's too long or too short, or the draw weight is too heavy or too light, or that you really wanted a take-down or a one-piece, but you bought the other one instead.  But every one you buy will end up being somebody's favorite bow, if not yours.  What this means is that they are well-respected, and if you don't like the first one you buy, it will bring a good price when you decide to sell it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline RustyJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Do they tiller differently for 3 fingers under verus split finger? I shoot 3 under.  If not does anyone shoot 3 under without any problems? My montana doesnt seem to have an issue with either form of shooting.  

Thanks,
    RustyJr

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I had the new Sportsman tillered for 3 under and I am not sure on the used Signature Hunter, but I shot them both 3 under with no issues.  They both are very quiet and shoot right where I am looking.  I guess that is why I like them so much.  McDave above hit it right on the head, they are great bows and it might be "YOUR ONE".

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
RustyJr-
Here's the link to their website, if you haven't gone there already. Check them out and give JJ or Rob a call. They will be more that happy to talk to you and answer all your questions. Be sure to check out their in stock sales page. It will be time well spent.

http://www.bobleebows.net/
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
RustyJr, if you're going to order a new bow, you would want to ask for it to be tillered for 3 under.  I have bought a number of used bows that were tillered for split fingers, and have found that all but one of them shot just as well 3 under.  That one required too high a nock point to suit me, and I ended up selling it.  If you're going to buy one of Bob Lee's stock bows, you should tell them you plan to shoot it 3 under and they will check it out for you before you buy it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline RustyJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Thank you gentleman for all of your replies and valuable information.

RustyJr

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
The 19" risers on the takedowns are very smooth. It will be heads and shoulders above the montana.

If you want to go a step up on riser mass, and ultra smooth go with the bicentenial. It has micarta in it that adds some weight to the riser.

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Guys you need to show him some of these great bows.
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I shoot a Bob Lee Hunter and love it. I ordered it from Rob Lee at K-ZOO in 2006. He asked me if I shoot 3-under, and if so they would tiller the bow for that. They are a great bow for the money and they stand behind there product.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Rusty, I'm pretty sure they offer a 90 day buy back policy.If your not completly satisfied they will buy it back no questions asked.That goes for stock or custom order bows too.

That sure tells me alot about there bows.

I have shot many,many custom bows and production bows.Everyone likes differant things.
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
What hand shock? There is none.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
I have a BL TD hunter and its draw is very smooth. My Bob Lee era red wing hunter is also very smooth but I like the longer BL TD better.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
You need to shoot it as a bow is a very individual thing.  Having said that though, I can't see you can go wrong with a Bob Lee.  Properly set up, it will shoot with the best of them.  They may be prettier, but there is none a functional.  Although I must say the Natural collection is outstandingly beautiful.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©