3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My string broke, what's the odds my bow's screwed?  (Read 326 times)

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
My string broke, what's the odds my bow's screwed?
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
While shooting yesterday my string broke at the bottom loop.  It didn't break until after the arrow had launched and the limbs had reached brace height, so I think everything should be ok but i wanted to make sure.  I didn't have time to twist up a new string yesterday and test it out, but I did flex the limbs in my hands as much as possible and couldn't hear any cracking going on.  Is there anything else I need to check for?

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My string broke, what's the odds my bow's screwed?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Unless you had issues with the limbs before the string broke, your bow should be fine. I have broken a number of strings over the years and never experienced a limb failure or bow damage.

Offline bianchijon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
That's usually when it happens. When the string comes to a stop and the arrow leaves. It won't hurt your bow unless it is old and has lamination problems to start with. Put a string on it and pull it back gently. Listen for cracking noises. Then run your hand over the limbs looking for splinters etc. Most shops will put it on a tiller board to look for problems. That is the nice thing about recurves and long bows, they fail gracefully instead of exploding like compounds.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
You should be fine. Most bows are tough enough to handle the odd dry fire. It has happened to me, when an arrow nock broke, and that bow is fine. Same with a mate of mine. However, your string shouldn't break like that. Check that your nocks aren't sharp or rough. Have you had the bow for a long time, or a short time? How old is it? What bow is it?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
I had a dry fire just yesterday when a too-loose nock came off. Bow is fine. Yours should be OK if it wasn't compromised to begin with.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I have one of my bows that has experienced many dry fires because the nocks or because string failures.After 18 years it is still shooting good.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
If it broke on the bottom loop then you may have a problem with how you handle the bow. Well, let me refrase that. What you do when your bow is not in hand. I see this all the time. Fellows stand their bows next to a tree or something while they pull their arrows. If you stand a bow while pulling and don't watch out you will pick up sand and dirt in the lower loop. This is like taking sandpaper to the string. I've seen it happen time after time. If this is the problem just watch it closely and clean the string when you see debree. Better yet, just lay the bow flat and keep tose tips out of the dirt.

Troy

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
You may have somthing in your nock cutting your string in the loop (usally the case) it may need to be sanded out a little , maybe a sharp edge . Ive fixed a number of bows for people that were breaking loops , not enough finish sanding in the groves. Check your handle by the sight window for cracks it is one of the most common places for dry fire breakage. Fast flight strings will cause more problems.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
If your arrow flew down range, the energy went into the arrow and your bow will be fine. The only energy the bow would have absorbed would have been the energy it had at brace height (or slightly more).
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
If your shooting a Zipper your probably going to be OK!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everybody.  The bow is one that was made by someone on another forum, and I'm not even sure if he's still making bows or not.  I try not to stand it up with the bottom tip on the ground, but I can't guarantee that I've never done it.  I'm sure all it takes is once to pick up some debris in there and do some damage, too.  I'm going to take a cotton ball to the string groove this evening and see if it shows me anything.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Always inspect your string before stringing your bow. Only takes a few seconds and saves a bunch of  heartaches and regrets.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I think your bow will be ok as long as the string broke when you released the arrow. The loud sound when it happened does have a tendency to spread "panic" in you with regards to damaging a bow's limbs.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
You need another string Jonathan? I might have an extra one if you need it. I can bring it with me tomorrow, just let me know if I can help.  Chris

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
my string snaped after shot on my EE grey wolf hybrid.  no damag to the bow at all and still shooting great
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »
you should be fine i broke one or you could say cut (long story)on my silver fox been 2 yrs still no effect

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
I appreciate the offer, Chris.  I've got a couple of spools of B50, though, just got to take the time to twist up a new one.  Might as well twist up a couple while I'm at it so I can have a spare with deer season right around the corner.  

I tried running a q-tip around the string grooves yesterday and didn't notice anything too bad.  There was one slightly rough area that might have caused the problem, but it's not all that bad.  I'll probably hit it with a little sandpaper and see if it makes a difference.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Try not to flinch when you shoot the next arrow out of that bow. Easier said than done. Should be OK, but you never know.  :banghead:

Offline Tox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Never had a string break till last night. Very wise to inspect the string before stringing the bow. Broke right at the fur string silencer, turns out my new "target" a one year old lab likes to chew them.
We use inefficient tools by choice, precisely because they are inefficient. Making them more efficient defies our original intentions.
Dave Sigurslid.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
I have been doing this a long time and have read many threads and shot with many people who have experienced this but just never happened to me - until the other day.  I was shooting in the yard and Twang! I had a string break.  Upon inspection it broke dead center at the knock under the serving??  No way to know that it was weak there even if I had inspected it.  I bought this bow as a new custom in 98 or 99 and this was the original string.  Never would have thought?  I do carry a backup string with me at all times while hunting and now I know why.  Would kind of ruin a hunt if I had no string.  
Bow is fine, by the way.
Bob Urban

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©