3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Falling off the map results in sticker shock  (Read 620 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Falling off the map results in sticker shock
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
anyway, truth be told, it's really the arrow that's more important than the bow.   ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Troy,

You must be very tall as You are only looking at the top shelf.  I find there are a lot of Bows and Broadheads in the price range you quoted from several years ago.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Charlie,

Maybe I'm not putting as I should.

Just afew years ago an Adcocok ACS was about as high a priced bow as you could find (considering this was the biggest inavation in archery in years). If I remember right they sold for something like $725.00 - $900.00 depending on the style. Most other bows maxed out at $800.00 and those prices were from the very few bowyers that had rode out the ups and downs in archery and built a worthy name.

Today it's not uncommon to see $1000.00 or close to it on alot of bows.

Broadheads and feathers to me carry a bigger sticker shock than almost anything else. When I fell off the map, $30.00 would buy you almost any top of the line six pack of broadheads just about anywhere. The other day I was lurking around some of the sights and foud a three pack of broadheads that carried a price of over $100.00.

Feathers sold for on average for $30.00 per 100. Today they will cost you almost double if not more.

Yes, I may be only looking at the upper shelf but after 20 years in the business and another ten prior to that hunting I look alittle higher than most. Not to say I'm willing to pay it, but still I look.

Troy

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Some of the prices on the broadheads, for example the new tuffhead and Abowyer.  These companies are offering BH that are presharpened, shave hair out of the box.  You don't get that with most BH.  That is a service to others, some don't care and is not important, others will pay for that extra.  

These are not big companies, they are producing a specializd product that cost alot more money to produce, on a smaller scale.  Are they quality products?  You bet, 100%.  Do you pay for that?You bet.  I recently bought some of the Tuffheads.  A great looking BH, what I have wanted for years for someone to produce.  Long, lean, heavy, glue on.  Tru 3:1.  They are expensive, about $100.00 for 6.  If I think about all the money I have spent on bows, arrows, etc. well I dont want to think about it.  LOL!  

What I am getting at is these are mom & pop operations that are specialized.  They have to charge a certain amount to keep afloat in the ecomomy.  Those kinds of products have always been expensive.  There are cheaper altenatives, no doubt.    

If you know what you want, it is worth it to some folks to pay the extra for the best.  Everything is expensive and has an inflated cost these days.  Nature of the world we are living in.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
its more to do with the value of the dollar then anything else.  priced food, fuel or any other consumables lately... my guess is that they have increased proportionally more than bows etc.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
High sticker price does not equal success. Compounders are the worlds worst about upgrading everytime a newer faster model comes out. I think the FPS stands for "fleeced per second" when it comes to the hunting industry. As for trad folks, a $1000 bow is not a must. You can take game with an old Ben Pearson out of a pawn shop.  Its all up to personal preferance on what you spend. I have a BW that I LOVE. I also have a selfbow that I made as well as rivercane arrows with self knapped points. Anything I take with either is a trophy to me.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Welcome back Troy!

I'm glad you found your way!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
You can spend that kinda money.  Doesn't mean you have to, or even that you should.

I can go drop 300k on a car tomorrow.  Good thing my 20k model does everything I could ask for.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
bows and arrow shafting aside, the thing that kinda raises my eyebrows are the "boutique" broadheads - silver flame, vpa, tuffhead, abowyer, ashby, etc.  are they THAT much better than a "low end" zwickey or magnus or woodsman or etc?  well, yes, in  many ways they are - solid machined construction, super hard steel, wicked cutting edges.  but design-wise, i don't see any major advantages.  an analogy example would be the original woodsman versus a vpa.  ;)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I read a newsletter long ago that kinda put boutique spending in perspective.  Say a glass of water costs you a penny, and a bottle of Coke costs you a dollar.  We all know the Coke tastes better, but does it taste 100 times better?

Nope.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
I guess what Rob said is what I'm tryin to point out.

However, everyone knows as well as I do that to some if it cost more it's got to be better.

I don't blame the manufactures for getting what they ask. I don't even blame those that are willing to pay the price. I just hope it's not heading the trad world down the same road the wheelie popper have gone.

I know I was one of the first to say I'd never pay the price they were paying when carbons first came out. Well,,, guess all I say say now is "that crow really is good".

Troy

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Jeff,

You be one heck of sweet talker.....  :-)  :-)

Troy

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
I read a newsletter long ago that kinda put boutique spending in perspective.  Say a glass of water costs you a penny, and a bottle of Coke costs you a dollar.  We all know the Coke tastes better, but does it taste 100 times better?

Nope.
maybe "yes", depending if ya have disposable dollars.   :D  

then again, is a $1000 bow that much better than a $100 used bow?     :dunno:  

many factors required to answer that question, and many folks with many different answers.  it's all good.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Not doubting an increase in prices, but some things to consider:

(1) Inflation of 2-3% a year (more now) - in 5 years that is 10-15%.  

(2) Higher fuel and shipping costs, which bleeds into everything.  Most people's labor and cost of doing business has also increased.  

(3) In many businesses there is increased specialization.  The bh market is an example.  There are still a lot of well priced bhs, but there are a lot of new high dollar heads.  

(4) More people are getting into traditional, so there are more products at all prices.

Just some thoughts. . . .   :dunno:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Troy, if I can help get you up speed Call me, I'm sure I can help with the business end of building bows ( the dollars and cents).

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Thanks Bob,

Not trying to make a business of it. Really, after getting out of the arrow business everything I do now is more hobby than anything else.

Troy

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
How about this Troy.  I've got a $50 Bill for gas money and I'm betting that even "cheapskates like myself"-Eric Krewson would match it just to see you again down here in the HEAT and HUMIDITY of BAMA - you see, the ASTB Tannehill shoot is just 11 days away, so get packing and fill your tank. I just hope I can make the trip, too.
CoilSpring

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Troy,
Kinda wish I would have done it that way. I just can't so NO to building a bow, special to the person I'm building it for. It's the business end I hate, FET, Liability Insurance. Takes ALL of the fun out of it.......

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Welcome back, and please forget the sticker shock. You can get back into Traditional Archery and you don't have to be rich to do it.   :campfire:      :coffee:
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Bob,

FET & LI along with too many arrow orders is why I stopped building bow for the public. The LI cost so much it took alot of my profit out. Subtract the FET and whats left only allowed me a small profit margin. Being an unknown to the bowyer world didn't allow me to get a high price for my bows.

Troy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©