3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Falling off the map results in sticker shock  (Read 622 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Falling off the map results in sticker shock
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Mr. Breeding,

I know exactly where you're coming from.  You can only kill an animal so dead.  A sharp $2 broadhead placed properly will kill just as dead as a $35 broadhead.  Do you need a $1000 bow to shoot that broadhead?  Sadly, I see traditional archery going the same way that fly fishing has gone-it's becoming an elitist sport.  The mass produced Bears, Ben Pearsons, Wings, etc. have taken pretty much every animal on earth-many times over.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Tim,

If heat and humidy are what I have to look at then you can keep it. It's been hot and humid up here for the past month. Couldn't stand it if it is worst down there. I've got to liking the cold and snow. Told my wife the other day that when she retires I want to move to AK.

Troy

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Out of my league. But, I'm pretty much set anyway.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Phil,

Did you just call me Mr. Breeding????  :-)  :-)

Dang, I know I'm quickly getting into the ol' Fa$!@ catagory, but around here I'm just plain ol' Troy. No Mr. around here. I feel we are close enough friends to do away with the formal da do.

Troy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Yup, have to agree with Rob on this one! While some bowyers and manufacturers prices have gone way up, there are others who remain close to what they were 4-5 years ago. I can still get my Snuffers for 2 bucks more and I know RER bows basic bows are still with $50 or so of what they were than. I also found the carbons I have been shooting are a bit cheaper from what I paid than. If you look around there are deals to had, but yes the economy sucks and the days of old are just that OLD!! By the way, if you still have any of those awesome old shafts you sold, I will give ya $25 a dozen!!  :bigsmyl:  (LOL) Nice to see ya back bud!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Always good deals in the used market. But if ya want something new or can not wait for the deal/sale or don't think ahead of needs you have to "pay" for materials/labor/overhead and the factors that contribute to their inflation in the retail world. Got a whole garage of used Archery that I do not need "yet".
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Troy,

I am well into the "ol' Fa$!@ catagory" myself, just the way I was brought up!!  I know of you, but have never had the pleasure of meeting you.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Kim,

I like the part about having a garage full of bow stuff you don't need yet. I thought I was the only one that had that stuff.

Phil,

My dad was a master sargent. Know exactly what you mean about being brought up proper. He still gives me a hard time when I speak to anyone older than myself, and if a lady is around it still better be yes mam and no mam.

Troy

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Troy...spend some of that rusty money...dang titewad  :bigsmyl:
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »
Troy's so tight, he won't even spend my gas money.   :)  LOL  :)
CoilSpring

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Troy that's the main reason I started building my first longbow. I wanted one real bad, but couldn't afford the price tag, so I built one and been doing it ever since, lovin every minute of it. The guys here have helped me emensly over the past year and I've come a long, long way from where I first started and my bows don't look anything like that first one. LOL

I try to make everything I possibly can to break my dependence on manufactured archery goods, but there's just some things that I have to buy and I cringe every time I have to dig into the piggy bank. Carbon arrows especially are way, way over priced! If I buy broadheads they are almost always Magnus variety and they are still one of the most reasonable priced broadheads still out there.

Welcome back from wherever ya been and maybe I can learn a few things from ya.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Rod,

Not my money anymore. Momma has control of everything now. All I get is an allowance.

Troy

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
Troy did you change states?

Ohio is still rumored to have some of the biggest bodied whitetail deer in this country.

What we lack in size here in Missouri we make up for in herd count plus we weigh our turkeys in as well...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Mudd,

Yep, moved again. Momma to a promotion that moved us to OH.

You can be sure the deer here are huge. I thought the deer in MO were big after living my whole life in AL.

The one thing I do miss is the turkey. Very few in this area. To hunt them I have to travel alittle. In MO I took most of my turkey within 100yards of my house.

Troy

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
A lot of us refer to ourselves as cheap but I like to think of a lot of it as common sense. Yeah , things are priced crazy.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I see all price ranges for bows out there, if you are willing to buy pre-owned you can get em for $150-1,500.  

The wait times on many of the customs are indicative of how popular they are. I think some of the custom bowyers must have other primary jobs though and build great bows on the side which adds to the time and the cost.

The time I am brought to earth is when I've paid a lot for a bow that after a few weeks doesn't strike my fancy as much as I thought it would.  Or another bow that I like shooting more comes along. Then, the prospects of taking a beating keeps me from selling it.

I think the best therapy (and cheaper) for me would be to receive new bows for other people. I could look forward to receiving the new bow.Then open that new bow box! I could apply a nock locator, shoot a dozen arrows, and send it on it's way!

Archery is about the only thing I do other than work a job I love. I could certainly get by with the same equipment I had when I was 16 back in 1970 (Ben Pearson Cougar and 6 arrows with Deadheads and a $10 quiver). I'm thankful I don't have to.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Troy, where are you in Ohio???? I'm about 30 miles east of Columbus.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Bob,

About half way between Sidney and Bellefontaine. Roughly and hour to hour and a half west of Columbus.

Bowwild,

Know what your talkng about. When I started I had a Pearson recurve and 2020 alum arrows with field points and Bear broadheads. Give $45 for the whole setup. At that point in time I just knew Robin Hood's legend was in trouble.

Troy

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
I myself sort of "dropped off the map" as far as archery was concerned for several years (family and work related).  Now that I have gotten back into it I found that I have a step-son, 2 nephews and a wife that are now interested in traditional archery.  I have been able to get them all 4 bows from the classifieds here,and all the other stuff needed for under $800 including arrows.  The bows are all "gently used" and shoot great.  Arrows/fletching is what actually gave me the most sticker shock.  Good deals are out there to be found though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©