3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shaving weight from a bow?  (Read 199 times)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
shaving weight from a bow?
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I have heard of the bow doctor.  For a fee he can shave weight off a too heavy stick so old guys like me can still shoot em.  Does anyone have contact info  or suggestions on someone else who performs a similar service?  Thanks again,  Matt

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shaving weight from a bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
There is an ad in TBM for Prairie Traditions bow hospital at   www.prairirtrad.com

All I know is what I read, I have no first hand information.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
I've had weight taken off a couple of bows and was quite satisfied with the results. However, I would recommend using the original bowyer if he is available. If not, "Whip" at Prairie Traditions would steer you in the right direction and do a great job if he felt like he could do the job.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I had a custom longbow I was no longer using because of the heavier weight.  I gave the bow to "Whip" at Prairie Tradtions and he removed 10% of the weight.  I refinished it myself when he returned it, and now have a great shooter.  I would not hesitate in the least to send another his way.
Lon Scott

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
http://www.prairietrad.com/

Here is the correct web sight for joe at the bow hospital (prarie traditions).  he does great work and is a pleasure to work with!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
thanks guys!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Fudd,

He's at Denton this week, so don't freak if you reach out and he can't get back to you...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
that is great because I will be there too.  Might have to bring the little stick with me and have him shave it down a touch.  thanks guys for all the help

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I had Duane Jessop shave my Thunderhorn from 56# @ 26 inches to 56# @ 28 inches, so roughly 5-6 lbs. he shaved off of it. He also took the other guy's name off the bow, and put my name on it, and refinished the whole bow for roughly $100.

I regret not having him do a stipple grip while I was at it.

Might want to shoot him an email if the others want more money.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
I had Ted at Raptor Archery lighten up a take down recurve for me.  He took it from 59lb to about 50lb, did a great job at a fair price.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Joe at prarie traditions (bow hospital)as a couple of guys suggested above. He did very good work for me in reducing bow weight. He is a sponsor here. Do a search on bow weight reduction on here and you can see that he comes highly recommended.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
I am at Denton already - just finished setting up my booth.  Through the magic of WiFi I can even follow along here.
If you have a bow that you have questions on or needs work please do bring it along!  Great to save shipping at least one direction.  
I'll see you here!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
make no mistake he knows bows the whipster is the best.I would never suggest to have work done on your favorite bow by anyone else.You can trust Joe to get the job done and done right bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
hey Joe I got one of those get on the internet anywhere anytime do all kind of stuff play games and make calls with it phone's for fathers day..........now if I could just figure out this stupid GPS and find my way home would be great bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©