3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Motor City Machetes, lend me your ideas of ultimate arrow shaft design  (Read 176 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm feeling the need to make another set (dozen) arrows from my stockpile of douglas fir shafts I have, and would like to hear all of your ideas that would make the ultimate over the top arrow shaft design.  I have my own ideas for the next batch of Motor City Machetes, but I want to know everyone else's ideas of over the top arrows.  These are going to be award arrows, so take that into consideration when you are throwing your ideas my way.  I have already picked the broadheads that will be on them, but that is a closely guarded secret till the arrows are handed out.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Please tell me about the prettiest arrow you have ever seen.  That's the kind of things I'm looking for.  I want to incorporate all the ideas into the finest looking display arrow ever created.

Color ideas?  Feather shapes?  Decals? How many cresting bands are too much?  I know some of you have seen some beautiful arrows. Please fill us in on your favorite.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
As to cresting- less is always more in that department.  Too much banding tends to look too busy in my opinion.

Look at Bob Burton's work at Whispering Wind arrows..or Arrow Art...or some of the guys on the Sponsors Classifieds who do nice work...you'll find their stuff is much more understated than what us amateurs generally do, and it just looks BETTER.

A color wheel from an art store will really help you pick colors that compliment. Matching isn't necessary- complimenting is- like pink works well with gray. Blue is great with white- yellow and green do well together- there's lots of others and a color wheel can show you that in spades.

the prettiest arrow I've ever seen was made by Hatchet Jack Keener for the inaugural PBS arrow competition.  If you Google the words PBS ARROW COMPETITION actual photos of the arrow will come up for you.

It had a coral snake skin over the shaft, with the head of the snake ON THE ARROW holding a beautiful knapped head of translucent blue gray obsidian or agate.

Jack always built snaky wood self bows...and the arrow was a 'snaky' shaft....by that I mean wavy just like a snaky bow...and it had a snake skin on it as well....get it?    :biglaugh:      :archer2:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
I think some arrows with those Viking broadheads and fletching to match would look good.  :archer:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
I saw that arrow Ray, and it is truly an amazing work of art there.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
hmm...If you do a search in the PowWow, for a thread titled "My Africa Setups" you will find some fabulous work with snake skin wraps. Be warned the arrows are carbon Gold Tips with a fake wood grain, if you have an aversion to carbon arrows being dressed up then stay away.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
I purchased set #2 from this link.  Magnus does arrows that are well appointed, but I would not call them over the top.  I like the look of real turkey feathers and shield cut is my preference.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=001507  

Here is a really cool arrow that SEMO_Hunter posted a few months ago.  More in the over-the-top category.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=006165

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
A good start IMO would be a 9-10 inch taper, white crown dip and barred feathers.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike,

The finest arrows, to me, have a simple crest highlighted with the thinnest metallic lines, gold or silver.  Looking close at your arrows and seeing the green metallic was very, very impressive.  I wish there was a way to go back thru the PBS arrow builing contest entries.  Wensel did some in Peacock feathers!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
The feather splice matching part of the crest is always classy too!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you Steve.  That green metallic happened kind of by accident.  I didn't like the first color, so I started mixing and matching and that was my final result.  I liked it so much I have already decided it will make it on these new arrows for sure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©