3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear , ground or tree stand??  (Read 261 times)

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear , ground or tree stand??
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Having never hunted bears, I have a spot in the N. Ga. mountains where multiple Bears are comming to a friends corn field. would you hunt from the ground or from a tree stand? Trying to figure out my game plan before mid Sept.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear , ground or tree stand??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I normally hunt bears from a tree stand but my last bear was killed on from the ground and it was one of the most exciting hunts I have had. My vote is for the ground.

Good luck.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
For safety reasons, I vote for "tree".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
if i ever do a bear hunt i want to do a spot and stalk. with a gun man of course just in case
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Either way if you can keep the wind right.The tree may give you a slight edge in that department.Bears have a better nose than a bloodhound.There eyes aren't great,maybe like a pig or better,but they easily recognize an upright figure.Just don't discount that nose.Also don't get too high up as it is imperative to hit both lungs.It sounds like a great setup.Good luck.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
I'd do what the terrain allows. If there is a good spot to set up a stand...great! If there's a spot that screams ground blind...great too!

The added bonus to ground hunting is that you can be portable and turn the hunt into a stalk at any time.

I'm sure you'll have fun regardless of which way you hunt...best of luck!....Ryan

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I have done them both.  You can not beat the rush of being on the ground, eye-to-eye with a bear under 15 yards.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Tree would seem to be more productive. But I would love to try it up close and personal on the ground ?

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
My vote is for a tree. I dont really care for sitting on the ground if I have an option. I like being able to see out a long ways and a tree helps with this.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I would love to go for bear on the ground
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
I've killed 6 from a tree stand, stalked to within 12 yards  of one on the ground but got busted, and would love to do it from the ground. Maybe next month up in Maine.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
What Manitoba Stickflinger said. Both have there plus sides. I also like to hunt areas that are spot n stalk only slowly moving from one area to the next.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I have never hunted bears but if I ever do I want it to be spot and stalk.
James Kerr

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Man, up in Maine we had to trail a bear once in stuff that was so thick we had to use flashlights to find blood at 10 in the morning? Spot and stalk there would have to be done on logging roads and cleared trails. A few years ago i shot a bear that only went 20 yards and went down and did the death moan. It took Eldon almost half an hour to find it while I sat in my stand and directed him by sound to where I last heard it. He almost tripped over it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Got my first one from a treestand , the last two I was on the ground with em. My vote is on the ground.
 ,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
A few other tree stand advantages:

1) you see what's going on in the vicinity much, much better.

2) There are more shot possibilities.

3) Ideally, you need a well positioned "dead ground" area for an efficient blind... the odds of setting up a tree stand in a decently positioned tree are better.

4) There is more chance to get busted because it is very convenient for bears to check you out... and many will.

5) Some bears will not spook much if they spot you in a tree because to them you are exhibiting subordinate behavior. You are much more of a threat or a challenge to them on the ground.

6) And of course, the average hunter will be more at ease in a tree stand and therefore will be a more efficient hunter.

That is why I prefer to hunt bears from the ground. LOL
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
Thanks guys. This is going to be fun.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Ah...and GA boy....hold on....I'll be back in just a bit.....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Either way will be fun for ya.  I think ground hunting would be fun.  That being said, when I go to Idaho next year for a DIY black bear hunt, we'll be using treestands.  However, if I'm walking in to my bait and a nice bear is on it, I would be more than happy to sneak in and put an arrow through both lungs while on the ground.  Lol!

Good luck no matter which way you decide to go.  Be sure to post up the story and pics.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Tuff hunting, but very rewarding just sighting the critters.

He's what little I know.....

I'm going to get this out before I get more into the 'how part'..... I ONLY hunt Tree Stands if the spot is HOT HOT HOT...and I need to hunt a tree for any other reason than just being HOT.  And, I would advise to use one with ladder steps so you can bale out easy if you spot one that is walking out of range from you.  I got too tired of trying to decide whether to come down or not, so I'll all but gave up on hunting them from a tree.

Hunt white oaks....big ones. Try and find some on a Mt. top, knoll, ridge or long slopping lead. Personally, I haven't had as much luck hunting IN the bottoms. I think they must work their way down, and get in the bottoms after dark. I have had luck with major leads that end up in the bottoms.

The bears will most likely be climbing the white oaks the 1st two weeks of the season, then gathering underneath the rest of the season.

Try your best to find white oaks with claw marks and white oak groves with lots of scat and other bear sign. If more than one bear is using the area, then your odds of a sighting are increased dramatically.

Travel funnels between two oak groves is also a great place to set up if you can't decide which tree they are bound to hit. Look for trails twice as wide as deer trails, and a bear trail will have a 'packed down' texture vs the crunched up of a deer trail.

Pre scouting a week or days before the season opens is much more productive than 2 weeks before.

The best tip I can give you is to hunt a single tree with lots of scat near it....BUT!!!, you must find at least one fresh pile....how fresh? With flies on it!!!...if a pile aint got flies on it, I keep a walking.

Sparse acorn crop?...gotta wear out some boot leather to find the few trees that are producing. Can be tuff to find, but once you do, the bears will be there.

Normal acorn crop?....sign will be easier to find since the bears are moving a lot from tree to tree, and scattered about a bit more.

If we have a drought?...and all the acorns fall just before the season?....then I don't commit to any trees or groves, I walk and walk and walk, cause the bears will not have to move for food, you will have to find them. Walk travel routes like mentioned before, but try to walk those with known running water near by, since water will be scarce during a drought as well.

Afternoons are better than mornings, but that don't keep me from hunting mornings. I've seen them as late as 10 am.

While walking in, pay attention to 'loud squirrels' in the trees...they may be a bear. If so, stalk the tree from down wind, and wait for the bear to climb down. Now, pay attention to the tree, you may need to get cross wind. If the tree is straight with no obstructions, there's no telling where he'll climb down. But, if the tree is leaning, or on the side of a steep ridge, or has some obstruction to one side, the bear will take the easy route down at the base.....clear from obstruction, up hill side, or least steep side if the tree is leaning. So, set up accordingly the best you can with the wind still in your favor.

The early season seems to congregate bears in higher elevations, and they work there way down in elevation, since the acorns will mature earlier up hi. Now bear in mind, that some times there is a late freeze in the spring, so those higher elevations will be void of sign due to the buds getting nipped. If that is the case, then move down the mountain a 1/3 of the way, and scout your way down. However, I have seen bears low the 1st part of the season, so the higher elevation is a guideline, not written in stone.

Two weeks before the season will be the tailing end of the last 'patten' before the acorn feed, and might be tempting, but don't fall for it. If you scout early, you will possibly find sign in berry patches, around wild cherry trees, and in dead pine groves the pine beetles devoured because of the grubs in the rotting pines. Unless you are in the highest elevations in GA, this should be what you will find. If you are in the highest elevations, then you should find them already on the acorns unless of course there was a late freeze in that area.

Be ready to not only see bears, but deer and hogs as well. When bear hunting, I've seen more bears and hogs than deer in the GA mountains. And don't let anyone kid you, there are 200 pound plus boar hogs roaming the mountains.

Another thing to look for is saddle ridges between two tops....or connecting leads. The right ones will have a trail suddenly appear as the knoll narrows thought the saddle, and then it will disappear just as quick as it nears the next knoll or lead.

Seems the bears pilfer around these ridge tops, and use the 'spines' to travel to the next 'pilfering' area.

These trails can be 100 yards long, or 1000, but the trails will be packed down, not 'crunched' up like deer trails....and, most likely, it will meander by every mature white oak along the way.

One more thing.....

If you do decide to hunt in the Morning....and you have a REALLY hot spot....don't go 'into' it while its still dark.

Lay back a little distance till dawn, and ease in there.....that way you wont' blow em out...and you will have the added thrill of an early morning stalk.

Good luck to all you guys out there...I'm gonna miss the opening weekend....in GA that is....but I'll be up there the 2nd weekend.

I've been emailed a bit since killing my bear this fall...and I thought I'd TTT this one.

Once again I'll reinstated the most important thing you can do is hunt over fresh sign....meaning fresh scat...so fresh it has flies on it...or like my bear this year, so fresh it doesn't even have flies on it yet.

If you aren't on fresh sign....KEEP WALKING!!! You will have better luck bumping into a bear by walking and looking for fresh sign than just hunting an area that 'looks good' with a bit of old sign.

Also learned this year....when you have a lot of rain all summer, the acorns will hold onto the trees longer....we never heard it 'raining acorns' this year. I usually run bears out of trees the 1st two weeks of the season...but I killed my bear this year the last day of the season in a tree. So, pay attention to whether they are dropping or holding while scouting/hunting.

Nothing like chasing bears in the wilderness with a longbow....Cohutta is calling....

THIS season wont come soon enough!!!

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©